Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 07:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Triple monitors
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 20:58 

I would like some advice on these monitors please.
Samsung S22a300H 21.5" - 5ms - HDMI/D-sub (VGA)

and

Samsung Syncmaster S22A350H - 21.5" - 2ms - HDMI/VGA

I'd like to buy 3 monitors for surround gaming but not sure what D-sub is or what ports I need.
I'm also looking to buy the triple monitor stand - B-TECH BT7333 AViBALL Triple Monitor mount with Glass Base [BT7333]
I think either monitor would be ok weight & size wise but I just wanted to check before I go ahead and buy. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post subject: D-Sub = VGA This one
PostPosted: 06 Jun 2012, 22:17 
Editors
Editors

D-Sub = VGA
This one here.

Best thing would be a Monitor with Displayport.

What Graphiccard do you use?

For 3 Monitors (these here with HDMI!) You could use 1x HDMI Direct, 1x DVi to HDMI Adapter (not sure, but i think you need an active adapter(for DVI-HDMI also ?))
and depending on graphiccard 1x miniDP-HDMI active adapter!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 23:58 

Thanks for your reply .
So your saying that d-sub is the same as VGA? Sorry but Im a noob when it comes to this, just learning. The monitors with the display ports seem really expensive so I was hoping to go with one of the above x 3 mentioned monitors. Both monitors have HDMI and VGA ports. Would I use one HDMI direct and 1 HDMI - DVI adapter?
and from the two options which do you think would work best?
My graphics card is a GTX550TTi .Not sure it will work with 3 monitors and if not I would upgrade it.
Also could I please ask would either of the monitors be ok with the triple display stand?
I really need to buy the monitors this week as my laptop is on its way out and I 'm going to be stuck without it. Thanks for your help

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 20:06 

Thanks. I want to run secondlife on 2 monitors and Photoshop on the 3rd monitor. Apparently secondlife doesnt work well with SLI so I guess I'm going to have to spend alot on a new graphics card. I really need to know for sure what would definatley work here before I buy the 3 monitors. I don't want to pay £300 for them and they have the wrong ports. I know I want to go with Samsung monitors 21.5" and 2ms if possible in my budget range of £300-400. Please can you recommend something that would be ok and if 1x HMDI & 1xVGA port would be sufficient with an hmdi to DVI adapter ? Many thanks .

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2012, 20:31 
Editors
Editors

AFAIK a GTX550 does NOT work for 3 Monitors! you can only use two!

So either get a second GTX550 and use them in SLI or buy a AMD Card (or a new GTX670, 680) to use 3 Monitors.

I agree that DisplayPort monitors are way mor expensive. If you use Adapters that should work! (*should!* as you could always get tearing)

For Triple Monitor Stands... they're all made for "Vesa Mount" so if the Monitor does have VESA compatibillity you should be able to use it with any Monitor stand.

Edit: Sadly i cant give you any advice on Monitors, i hard know more than 3models.