Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Aug 2024, 21:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2012, 21:29 
Editors
Editors

Hei,

You often hear you're better off buying 3GB version of GTX580, or that the GTX680 with 2GB has no chance against HD7970 with 3GB. But where does the VRAM realy limit, and whats only rumours ? Sure you're always better off with more ;) But where exactly does it limit? and what can we do against that ? Smaller resolution? Less AA ?
Paradigm Shifter did a realy good review about that some time ago (Link) With two GTX460, in 1GB and 2GB version.

So, a VRAM Limit is when FPS drop to 1-5 FPS when they should be higher.

What should this list do?
I'd like to get *most* of the recent Games into that list. At best with different Resolutions and AA-Settings!
Everyone could just take a look at the list and see if he wants to buy that game, he won't be able to use 8x AA just 2x AA.

How does you get that much Data?
With your help! You're playing a lot of BF3 this time? Take a Screenshot, remember settings, and make a short Post in the list!
If you only make on entry, the list gets bigger! With some time i'm sure we can get enough data.

How do i see my VRAM usage ?
You would need an extra Tool. Like GPU-Z which can Monitor V-RAM usage. You can start that tool, play your game and check it afterwards. You would need Fraps or turn ingame FPS shown.
Other one is MSI-Afterburner. This one also has an GUI Overlay, so you can see FPS and VRAM usage Ingame(and on Screenshots.)

Where is the List?
Instead of updating this thread everytime i thought we could use Google Docs. everyone can edit the file everytime. And you can also sort or filter them as you wish. so only display Nvidias GTX680 GPU or only AMD's HD6850.

[h4]Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgqG3liwGXQHdEdBODY2ci1hMjk0U05MOFRMRVBLX1E[/h4]

What Format?
I'm not realy sure about that myself.
thought: Game | FPS | Resolution | AA | GPU | Settings | Vram Usage | Screenshot Link | User
would work. Any other idea ?

Now then. Hope we get some Data :)

Greetings

Haldi

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 16:05 

There's only a few games that go beyond the 1.5GB limit of GTX 580, like BF3@4xAA. And for GTX 680 the same game is still playable @5760x1080 4xAA. You can pretty much draw the conclusion that 2 GB is enough for the vast majority of cases even for triple monitor setups, even though more than 2GB memory can be reserved by many games. Whether reserving more memory makes any difference outside avg frame rates is anybody's guess.