Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 06:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 11:04 

Downloading now. Will post pictures as soon as i have it up and running. Supposed to support eyefinity/NV surround natively. Fingers crossed i Love this game.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 12:33 
Editors
Editors

Downloading now. Will post pictures as soon as i have it up and running. Supposed to support eyefinity/NV surround natively. Fingers crossed i Love this game.

Yes, it should support, im still downloading it.

Post subject: Game is also seems to be
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:03 

Seem to get pretty shotty performance on anything above 1920x1080 res

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:08 

So its a Yes and no. The game supports it perfectly. Scaling seems correct and FOV is right but it seems to over do motion blur and a few other effects such as the darkness surrounding people. makes some parts to be really blurry. Performance with latest beta nvidia drivers seams to max out my Tri sli GTX 580's (95-99% usage) but im not getting very good frames with nvidia surround. if i turn the resolution down to 4800x900 it and SSAO down i runs better. Also get weird flickering on trees when u first arrive to town even with nvidia surround turned off.

Edit There is no SLI profile for Alan wake in the latest beta drivers. so makes nvidia surround pretty much useless for the most part.

Attached files

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:09 
Editors
Editors

Yep, looks good on surround, cant wait to try it later, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I have everything maxed with 4x AA and I'm getting 20fps walking up to the cabin on the lake. I played through the first little bit like this and it didn't seem too bad...obviously could be better. But I tell you what a big thumbs up go out to the developers for making the native support and FOV adjustment bar. It makes me wonder how these other developers can't just get it done! Great game, already played in on xbox, but in surround it's beautiful.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 21:26 
Insiders
Insiders

I was reading the PC FAQ and they say you cannot turn AA off, and forcing it off via GPU drovers results in visual errors. Thats pretty lame for multi-monitor usage. But i also read that the multi-mon works great.

Apparently Volumetric Lighting takes a huge hit on performance, as SSAO does. And there's already a patch.

After patch gives some folks a sweet 2 frame per second. if this happens, just set 3D video card settings back to default. I think this only happens to ATI. Amd, whatever.

PC Faq from teh Steam forums, with some handy info:

Code:
Alan Wake PC Support FAQ and Known Issues FAQ

This is a copy from Remedy's forums - we will aim to keep both up to date, but the "original" version is here: http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=7759

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS
    We would love our games to work for everyone, and have done our best to test the game well, but the amount of PC configurations makes this a difficult goal to accomplish. We will do our best to help solve problems, but have limited capacity for direct e-mail support. We would hope that you would do as follows:
   Please read this FAQ to see if your problem has been solved already. You can also try to search this forum for solutions.
   Update your graphics card drivers. This solves 90% of problems typically. AMD Driver download & NVIDIA Driver Download. We have tested extensively with AMD Catalyst 12.1 and Nvidia 285.62 drivers.
   Please post a forum thread to the Alan Wake Help and Issues board - we have an active community that likes to help, and have Remedy staff in hand to answer and help as well. Remember to add your computer information or attach a dxdiag text file with the forum post.

GENERAL
   Command Line options
    The game supports a few command line options meant mainly for troubleshooting. Warning: for advanced users only. Many of these options can be selected from in-game menus and we recommend doing that instead.

You can enter them by right clicking on Alan Wake in the Steam Library and choosing Properties. From there go to "Set launch options".

-w screen width (e.g. -w1280)
    -h screen height (e.g. -h720)
    -window force windowed
    -novsync disables v-sync
    -showfps shows a frame rate counter on screen
    -forcesurround forces 5.1 speaker mode
    -forcestereo forces stereo (2 channel) speaker mode
    -nosound disables sound
    -cleancloud deletes your save games and settings for Alan Wake from Steam Cloud
    -noblur disables the in-game vector blur
    -locale=xx forces a selected locale. This should not be needed as you can change it from the Game Properties in Steam. Note that you have to have the locale files downloaded from Steam and that happens only when you choose the language you want to play in from Steam.

GRAPHICS

SLI & Crossfire Support
    Due to the way the graphics engine has been constructed, it does not work well with multi-GPU configurations out of the box. AMD has made Crossfile profile for Alan Wake that enables 65-75% performance boost on Crossfire, but Remedy has not been able to test this yet.

If you have problems, Remedy recommends disabling multi-GPU mode for Alan Wake.

Trees flickers after "alt-tab" to desktop and back to game on Windows XP / NVIDIA
    In some rare WinXP & NVIDIA graphics configurations, trees in the game start to flicker after popping out of the game with alt-tab and then when resuming gameplay. We haven't been able to track down the cause but the should be avoidable by playing in full screen and/or dropping some settings like SSAO or shadows to medium quality.

Multi-screen support
    The game supports 3x1 EyeFinity configurations. 5x1 and 3x2 configurations are not supported.

On Windows XP, we recommend disabling NVIDIA nView Span mode as the game may not start. Recommend using Windows's built in "extend desktop" feature instead. If you wish to keep Span on, you can play the game in window by using command line parameters as described above.

Stereoscopic 3D
    Remedy has only tested the game on NVISION2 3D. To run smoothly we recommend a fast graphics card. We also recommend setting 3-5 bars of stereo separation for best experience. Remedy has not been able to test/confirm if we run on AMD HD3D.

AUDIO
   Windows XP - IDT audio on Windows XP does not work correctly
    It's possible sound is not heard from all speakers. It was noticed during testing that if the IDT control panel is used, it resets Windows speaker configuration to 7.1 - making the game think you have 7.1 speakers. This may make the sounds work incorrectly. This is a driver issue rather than a bug in the game. You can use "-forcesurround" or "-forcestereo" command line options if needed.

CHEATS
    There are a few cheats built in to the game that will be revealed soon.

SAVE GAMES and SAVE DATA
    Alan Wake saves data to your "My Documents" folder (e.g. C:Users<username>Documents) under RemedyAlanWake. This contains resolution.xml and if enabled possibly some debugging information. Game regenerates these if not found. Your save game is stored under your Steam profile, and mirrored into Steam Cloud if that option is enabled.

Alan Wake does not store anything in your computers' registry. Steam uses registry to keep track of first time installation information and such issues.

THANKS FOR READING!
    Please refer to the General Alan Wake FAQ for generic game information.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 01:30 

I hope a good profile comes out soon, as I get terrible performance in Surround SLI. There is a cheap-fix if you try using the SLI profile for FEAR 2, but it creates unplayable artifacts, i.e. blurring and freezing on screen.

With the FEAR 2 profile, I can get 30-40fps with everything maxed and AA at 4x, but the artifacts render it pointless.

It really is absolutely incredible in surround/eyefinity. They spent a lot of time tricking out the atmosphere into something really special.

Post subject: ya it sucks i was really
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 10:15 

ya it sucks i was really looking forward to playing trought this again. Here a link to someone who has a semi working sli profile. Seems to make my GPU usage go up but i see any difference in frames.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=4248038

Nvm just realized that this is the fear 2 fix.

nvidia say sli causes corrution with gpu and that they have a fix ready and are working on it should be ready "Soon"...lol ya right

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=223066

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 12:37 

The blurring anomaly is a result of the SLI not meshing well with the motion blur. You can set a launch option '-noblur', and you'll get little in the way of anomalies... will probably still get flickering though.

Motion Blur is actually well done here.. it's not a cheap rendering gimmick, so it's a loss to turn it off, in my opinion. It's good Nvidia has a profile ready to go.