Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 14:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 02:27 

I have 2x 480's and only getting 50fps max on low settings . I been thinking of the 580's 3gb versions to replace .

What do you guys think ? Is it worth it or should I wait for next gen GPU's ?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 14:15 

I have sort of similar setup to which you are planning to build.

2* MSI N580GTX XE 3GB cards SLI + nVidia surround 5760x1080

The game runs well with all details maxed out. AA, MSAA, everything. (around 40-60fps). In singleplayer campaign there was some sluggishness (lowest fps 26), but it was very rare. BF3 takes about 90-99% GPU usage from both cards, but thanks to TwinFrozr III and well ventilated case (antec lanboy air) temps never go over 75Celcius (167F). That has been the maximum temp, and I do have logging on. I can recommend these cards to anyone, even GTAIV runs full detail on all 3 screens. Awesome :D

All you have to worry about is temp. If you plan to run these cards in a closed case, make sure you have very good airflow and ventilation.

Post subject: Update to my previous
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 13:56 

Update to my previous post;

Yesterday I was playing MP despite the missing player icons (learning to recognise different uniforms is relatively easy, I decided not to let the missing icons ruin my game but to learn to play without them ) with FPS monitoring on and found out that my FPS dropped below 40 from time to time. If I would have to pinpoint this behaviour to certain event, I would say it manifests when driving tank and enemy shoots near you. The flying rubble and smoke seems to be too much. The FPS loss seemed to affect airborn rubble and stone, maybe even smoke. It's hard to tell when there's so much going on.

Anyhoo, I decided to do something about it. I ended up turning MSAA off, I already had AA Post on High which means FXAA is already enabled. Can't really tell the difference, maybe if you go looking for some difference there would be some but it really looks just the same. That helped a lot. Then I fiddled with nVidia control panel. Changed all 'Quality' values to 'Performance' and enabled triple-buffering. OC'd the cards too, nothing overkill but 900MHz core clock, 1800MHz Shader clock and 2200MHz Memory clock. That required me to rise the voltage just a bit. 1100mV to be precise.

Now I'm running BF3 on ultra settings and FPS is great. So there might be some tweaks you need to do to run the game with Ultra 5760x1080 even with 2 GTX580 3GB cards. But still, it looks great and runs well. Me likey! :D