Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 14:44 

Hi,

I'm currently working of a project for a two man flight sim cockpit for insructional use.

I've got a couple of ideas in my head but in terms of GPU hardware I'm not too sure what my options are.

I'm looking to have:

Option A:

6 surrounding monitors - two front facing - 4 "curving" around the peripherals (2 each side @ 30* and 60*) with a TrackIR for looking further around.
(might require more monitors for instrument/guage display)

Option B:

Have 3 projectors showing a 120* or so FOV and having 3 monitors for guages and other info.

Questions

What is my best GPU option for me to have 6 monitors in the above configurations (there is no budget - tell me the costs and I'll work around it)

I'm confused with the options available - eyefinity would be good for the projectors yes? but TH2G can do the same job? (at the loss of quality?)

As you may or may not know - FSX is pretty intensive - primarily on the CPU side but the GPU will help it run better - I've recently upgraded my own PC to have a nVidia GTX570GTX and the FR increase was massive compared to my old 9400GT.

Thanks for your time reading this and looking forward to your help.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 00:36 

I think this is less about the card option; obviously you get the best cards you can buy which is the HD6990 ( however there is a new card due out shortly which tops that. ), and more about the visualization layout. 3 projectors set-up for a min of 1080P arranged for at least a 20 degree FOV. and then 3 1080P touch screen monitors ( i think there is a way to implement FSX to be touch screen sensitive ? That would be where I would start. I think 1 or 2 people here have this sort of setup but with some add on SW and HD for vibration, head movement panning and lens correction to simulate proper curvature..

I use to be a HW tester for Evans and Sutherland , they made the military flight sim stations for the Apache and other helo's but the tech has advanced significantly, but the starting point I've mentioned should hopefully get a few more people involved here and get you the right HW/ SW setup.

Post subject: Just get a card with
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2011, 06:09 

Just get a card with Eyefinity 6 and your good to go. as for projectors, If your looking to get full HD machines then you'll need to be concerned about throw distance, if you are OK with XGA, then, look into some of the short throw machines.