Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 13:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 11:20 

I gave the Magicka demo a try and it works flawlessly in a bezel corrected triple mon resolution on Eyefinity.
The hud isn't centered, such as tutorial tips showing in the far right bottom corner, but for a small studio it's excellent surround support!
Definitely gonna get this, looks like lots of fun :mrgreen:
Does anyone know which engine they are using? I suspect Orange Box for running so fine out of the box, so maybe an interface mod can be done to get the hud centered.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 15:50 
Editors
Editors

I have it, i like it but its a VERY VERY buggy game. Just full of multi player issues, crashes, and bugs.

It also needs a lot of balance work, some spells are just owning everything, others totally useless so when they say the game has XXX amount of spells it really only has a few dozen and only like 5 or 6 of them are usefull.

My biggest complaint is that I cant beat world 6, the boss is just so cheap killing me in one hit constantly or if I survive I get knocked of the stage. The save system sucks, if you quite the game you start a level all over again.

So if you spend 3 hours trying to beat the boss like I did and quit the game 3 times for a break, you have to do the whole stage again.

I think I finally have the patience and a good way to beat the boss and the last patch to the game seems to cause a CTD every single time when you fight this boss, the forum for the game is filled with people crashing when they fight this boss. Its a missing file causing it looks like.

Still glad to see it has surround, I was planning on trying but was too tied up into the game to give it a shot.

I like the concept, I like the game, they are also being very proactive with trying to patch the game and getting things working. Just it has a long way to go still.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2011, 19:19 

It works in surround and eyefinity.

The engine is certainly not source. The guys used XNA to make it. I can't even tell if the world is really 3D. The perspective is fixed so I wouldn't be surprised if everything were simply 2D sprites (think Deathspank type sprites). Another indication of this is the fact that there doesn't seem to be a horizon for the 3D objects as the objects on my left and right monitors appear to be non-perspective.

There's a plethora of MP bugs as well as annoying graphics options that are forced on the user (Vsync is default on and can't be turned off. AA is default on and for people with weaker cards causes massive lag).

The minimum requirement for the game is a 8800 series card. This game has graphics that looks like it came out before the 8800 even existed. I think the devs shouldn't have forced so many graphics options and instead went the other direction and made the graphics scale down so a game like this can be run on netbooks and laptops etc. The point of the game is after all the innovative gameplay and not minimum requirements that exceed even Crysis. A lot of users with high end rigs are experiencing poor performance as well as stuttery gameplay.

I'm not particularly fond of the humor either. A lot of the jokes are very cheap and overused (chuck norris and soviet russia? really?) and the facebook / twitter buttons make me feel like I got scammed by an online spammer into buying this buggy flash game.

Personally I'm shelfing this game until they fix the vsync and MP. Shame since I really like the concept of "invoker on crack" (dota reference).

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 19:05 
Founder
Founder

Can we get some screenshots?

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 19:09 

Here's one. I didn't really get any further than this before I stopped playing.

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2011, 23:09 
Editors
Editors

i'll be making an eyefinity showcase video for youtube here in the next few days if all goes well.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2011, 02:29 
Editors
Editors

Ok here you go guys.

You will need to of course view 1080p full screen to really see much due to the ultra wide aspect ratio.