Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 04:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 13:20 

Wondering if any users of WSGF have been playing beta for RIFT. And if so, does it work with surround or even eyfinity - and are the menu/ui elements displayed correctly?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011, 15:10 

I am using Nvidia Surround at 5960x1080 and it does support the resolutions + bezel but it gives the fisheye on the side screens. The UI elements are movable so yes you can put them all in the center or where ever you want which is a huuuge plus. It also gets a fair rating with Nvidia 3D but I couldn't really play it with it on at this point as there is a lot of issues with text displaying in a readable manner so I just leave that off.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 04:35 

Thanks Louie. How does the game look? I'm an ex WoW player, and I've also played many other MMO's ... I hadn't heard much about Rift until recently, perhaps I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 05:40 

Personally I am loving it. It has alot of the making of WoW, enough to be called a clone...but there are a few things they throw in there to make it more fun. The whole concept of the Rifts is pretty cool though the idea came originally from Warhammer. It takes a lot of the ideas from other MMOs and actually executes. And the best part is even in beta, the game has a very polished feel to it. I already preordered and did my 6 month founders club subscription.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 23:07 

How you even can compare this game to Warhammers public quests? First of all the rifts are dynamic they can spawn or pop where ever and if you dont shut them down fast they will start to conquer. And everybody gets rewards. PQ's just sitt there and rot if noone do them. But then again everything is a clone of each other.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 17:41 

I am in Rift beta with my ATI HD6970 eyefinity setup.

Games looks fine, but is so far a huge let down. It works relatively well in eyefinity with further UI enhancements it will get better but their only beta so you know.

Game play is sterile and boring, quests are nothing but standard fair so far, in fact some of the most boring ala EQ2. The Class system is truely wonderful and with conmtinued tweaking will be its crown jewel absolutely. Crafting is ala EQ1/WOW click fest though I have yet to delve deep.

The Rifts are the worst part of the game so far, and its the name sake.
They are not random, you can tell where they spawn so people camp them, so much so I gave up on them. The are not random events, but perfectly scripted encounter spawn points that repeat exactly over and over and over and over...guess what and over and over again.

Its beta, so I can forgive the boring starter zones, and there is two only. There is no diffrence between races really, you feel like a robot, what ever happened to Next Gen? No Vanguard 15 races and lore and diplomacy here.

Rift is not Next Gen by any standard, its a evolution of wow with many regressions. The graphics are wow style with immense detail and shading, so much so I actually really like the game world. despite being cartoony. However the models are dreadful, animations remidn me of Vanguard on release, and lack the detail of the world, but this could be a beta thing.

I may cancel my preorder if it does not improve, but there is zero reason to leave Vanguard for me, it maybe a red headed step chuildof the SOE barn, but it is the most immersive MMO I have ever played and still offers more then any other MMO I have tried.

If you love WOW, you will like rifts, but even WOW has way cooler quests and much much better scripted events.

These days you can find me:

Vanguard - Exmortis/Falcron/Treager/Goraag/Scrotal/Phailse - Telon Server

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3/Gskill 4x4 DDR3-1600cl7/i7-2600K/7970 Lightning/24x27x24 eyefinity/Corsair K90/Corsair AX850/Revo3 240/ocz Vertex 3 240/WD VelociRapter 600/Corsair 600T/Logitech 5450Z 5.1

The priest asked "Who are you?"

And the voice replied "Legion for we are many."

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 19:05 
Administrators
Administrators

A picture says a thousand words.

Translation: Screenshots please.

Note: If they are going to stay online permanently put them in here for multi screen screenshots, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=58

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 00:55 

[quote]A picture says a thousand words.

Translation: Screenshots please.

Note: If they are going to stay online permanently put them in here for multi screen screenshots, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/]

next beta event on the 25th..

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 05:37 

I am in Rift beta with my ATI HD6970 eyefinity setup.

Games looks fine, but is so far a huge let down. It works relatively well in eyefinity with further UI enhancements it will get better but their only beta so you know.

Game play is sterile and boring, quests are nothing but standard fair so far, in fact some of the most boring ala EQ2. The Class system is truely wonderful and with conmtinued tweaking will be its crown jewel absolutely. Crafting is ala EQ1/WOW click fest though I have yet to delve deep.

The Rifts are the worst part of the game so far, and its the name sake.
They are not random, you can tell where they spawn so people camp them, so much so I gave up on them. The are not random events, but perfectly scripted encounter spawn points that repeat exactly over and over and over and over...guess what and over and over again.

Its beta, so I can forgive the boring starter zones, and there is two only. There is no diffrence between races really, you feel like a robot, what ever happened to Next Gen? No Vanguard 15 races and lore and diplomacy here.

Rift is not Next Gen by any standard, its a evolution of wow with many regressions. The graphics are wow style with immense detail and shading, so much so I actually really like the game world. despite being cartoony. However the models are dreadful, animations remidn me of Vanguard on release, and lack the detail of the world, but this could be a beta thing.

I may cancel my preorder if it does not improve, but there is zero reason to leave Vanguard for me, it maybe a red headed step chuildof the SOE barn, but it is the most immersive MMO I have ever played and still offers more then any other MMO I have tried.

If you love WOW, you will like rifts, but even WOW has way cooler quests and much much better scripted events.

I could not disagree more. While the game may not be exactly what I was thinking, I'm rather enjoying it so far. I haven't made up my mind whether to pre-order or not yet (I'm still waiting to check out PVP and PVE content at the higher levels of the beta) but it's pretty good once you get out of the starting areas. I'll post a few screenies of it running in eyefinity before the end of this beta event.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2011, 21:33 

For those of you running in triple wide, how's the performance?

Does Xfire work?

Does SLI look like it's scaling?

My roommate has a GTX 480 SLI surround setup and at 5760x1080, he gets 20 fps with all settings on ultra (no AA... interestingly, the only AA option was supersampling for him which would immediately pull the fps to sub 5 fps). This seems kind of brutal. He says that if he turns settings down, he gets 50-70 fps.

EDIT: Answered my own question when my roommate simply copied his install directory to my computer. I get better performance than him with 5870 xfire vs. OC'd 480 SLI. It almost looks like SLI isn't scaling since when I run with a single 5870, I get comparable performance to his SLI setup. Game is smooth even at 30-35 fps on ultra @ 5760x1080.