Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Oct 2024, 19:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 16:54 

hello everyone,

this is an old topic, i've read up on all the fallout posts here, and the best I can find is "hopefully FoVegas will have full Eyefinity support"....so in the spirit of my obsessive nature, I have decided to dig deeper into this issue, with the ultimate goal of creating a mod to fix this problem.

A rough workaround that I'm using for the time being, is to edit the weapon scope settings using the GECK. You can blank out the field that points to the .nif used for the scope overlay display. This field is found in the art/sound tab for the particular scoped weapon, directly under the "has scope" checkbox. Doing this will still give you the zoom factor intended for said scope, but without any visual overlay at all. This is, of course, not ideal, but at least it's playable to an extent for scoped weapons.

Below is just a Cut and Paste of what i've been posting on other F03 modding forums, which explains my approach and pleads for help......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I *think* that I have determined that the problem lies with how the .nif files used by the scope view are set up. If you go into the GECK and leave the field under "has scope" blank, you still get the zoom factor intended for that particular scope, but without the scope overlay. Doing this displays the zoom exactly like it would with a weapon without a scope, just at a higher zoom level (i.e. lower FOV value).

My theory then, is that the solution lies within making/editing a .nif file that is called on by the scope function that is formatted properly for screen resolutions such as 4320 x 900. I'm not totally sure that there isn't some other technical issue with Eyefinity that causes the scope .nif to not function properly, but this is my best estimate for how to start solving this problem.

I have opened up the vanilla .nif files for the scope view, and have absolutely NO idea where to begin. I'm reading up and going through the common nifskope tutorials that are out there, but for the most part, the scope .nifs are so different from your usual weapon/armor .nif files, that i'm not really seeing the relationships between the types of .nifs.

I'm gonna start messaging everyone who has put up scope-oriented mods, and see if their expertise can get me started in the right direction, but in the meantime, if anyone reading the forums has experience with these kinds of .nif files, or can offer any clues towards the solution, i'd love to hear it. Getting this fixed would be awesome for everyone using Eyefinity.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2010, 14:49 

so nope, that doesn't work......

even using an "empty" .nif file still results in the bugged scope display. This indicates that it's an un-moddable feature caused by the game engine itself, and not a result of any properties of the .nif file.

As far as I can tell, the GECK workaround described above will have to suffice.

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010, 19:09 

I bumped your post at Nexus and got some answers. Tinkering with the meshes will still be needed to make the black blocking mesh fit the screen but the following .ini setting will at fix the screwy grey view.

EARACHE42, on 03 August 2010 - 06:22 PM, said:
Edit your ini file and add the following to the display section:

fScopeScissorAmount=0

This will eliminate the masking the game engine automatically applies.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 03:14 

plz help i have inserted the above scope fix but it didnt completely fix the scope i still see grey... do i need to go in and change meshes?