Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 13:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 16:40 

I'm running a 3:1 Eyefinity setup on my pc and I love it for gaming, but I also do some console (Xbox 360 & PS3) gaming and as far as I knew there wasn't any method to use a 3:1 for those.

Now, yesterday in an Xbox 360-specific forum, someone was claiming to use his tri-monitor setup with his 360. I called b.s. and asked to post pics for proof. As far as I knew there wasn't any adapter which would allow this, and even if there was I thought there would be a resolution issue anyhow.

So, does anyone have any info or is this guy just blowing smoke?

Here's his exact statement.
my setup is ok, i will upload pics some other day
Macbook air~~~~~ dont remember all the spec
alienware M11
Tri-screen setup with 3.1GHZ 16Gb RAM 2TB HDD DUAL ATI HD 5970 Grahpics Card i know very unneccary, but i won the second one.
Xbox 360 pro 250gb hdd~~hooked to triscreen with a sls chip (sls=single large surface)

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 17:29 
Insiders
Insiders

Well that's weird, the only Multi-Screen games on Xbox 360 is Forza 2 and 3.
With those games you need multiple Xbox 360's and multiple copies of the games. On the PS2, you can play with multiple screens on GT4. But again you need multiple PS2's and multiple copies of the game. If you had PS3s that had backward compatibility you could do the same.

I call b.s. on his SLS chip, but it's possible.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 22:02 

Complete BS, the only way he's running it triple-monitor is if he's stretched it (which would be pointless).

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2010, 01:25 

I thought even if there was some sort of adapter that the resolution would be screwed up due to the game's console version not supporting the same resolution as it's pc version.

I remember back when I was first researching Eyefinity that I seen a vid of Forza running multiscreen on an Xbox, and yes, I do remember reading that multiple consoles with multiple discs were necessary.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 03:37 

Consoles can't run multi-monitor if you consider a 1 console for 3 monitors set-up.

As mentionned, multi-monitor on console appeared on PS2 with Gran Turismo concept and Gran Turismo 4. 3 consoles and 3 games were needed and the multi-screen was limited to some game modes (basically, you could only do time attack).

With Forza 2 and 3 on Xbox 360, 3 consoles and 3 games were also needed but the game was fully playable on multi-monitor from carreer mode to online play.

Gran Turismo 5 prologue on PS3 was not multi-monitor capable (but it is not really a "Gran Turismo" )
For Gran Turismo 5, we don't know yet. It was mentionned but not officially confirmed.

So basically, consoles can do multi-monitor with 3 consoles and 3 games but it is not used. It would cost 200 USD/EUR each time you want to play a new game: this kills the market that could exist.

.... but it would be so great to play Gears of war 2 and 3, Uncharted, God of War or Halo Reach on 3 screens :D

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010, 16:26 

Yeah, I was 95% sure that guy was full of b.s. I figured if anyone would know better, it'd be here on WSGF.

.... but it would be so great to play Gears of war 2 and 3, Uncharted, God of War or Halo Reach on 3 screens :D
Man, that's the truth. I'd love to play the console blockbusters on a multi screen setup. The wife and I have a 52" Samsung plasma, and I've done some gaming on it but it's still not the same as playing on my pc. The biggest issue being fps's and controllers don't mix. And, of course, it doesn't matter how big the tv is, I'm still limited to 1920x1080.

Well, maybe if I can talk the wife into us getting 2 more 52's and bringing my pc out of the family room and into the living room... :D