Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 19:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 17:18 

Seems to me the latest hot debate is Eyefinity vs Surround, Nvidia vs. AMD, etc.

I got into the MM thing when TH2GO was nearly the only thing going. Still using it. (Digital edition). Still works easy and great and has on almost every title I've thrown at it since the old days with little tweaking (as far as my experience).

So what has made the TH2GO the inferior choice?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2011, 21:08 
Editors
Editors

Mhmm, i don't know much about TH2GO, joined the Tripple Heads with Eyefinity.

maybe it's because you ned an Extra External Device ?

Or because AMD and Nvidia are making big advertisement directly to gamer and TH2GO doesn't / Cant ?

Does TH2GO support 3x 1920x1080p ? i thought it only works with low resolutions.... Might also be a reason.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2011, 22:15 

Yeah, I'm guessing that it's the extra unnecessary expense and equipment when modern video cards have it already.... but at the same time, I'm seeing a lot of problems, complaints, etc. from people taking the card route, when for me it's never presented itself as a problem.

BTW - to my knowledge, TH2GO supports all the resolutions on into the 5's etc.

I'm not as tech savvy as many here, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way TH2GO approaches Multi-Mon ( as a resolution "trick" ) as opposed to the way cards do it. Again, it seems like I'm seeing a lot of problems from the card folks, crossfire stuff, SLI stuff, complaining games aren't "supported" for this or that, etc. I use my Nvidia cards in SLI non-stop using the TH2GO to accomplish the res and I just never really have to worry about much.

I'm sure there's something really big I'm missing or don't understand.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2011, 20:10 

Here's why:

TH2GO supports a max of 3x 1680x1050 using DVI, and a max of 3x 1920x1080 using DP.

If you have 1920x1200 monitors, you can't use TH2GO.
If you have 1920x1080 monitors, you can't use TH2GO with graphics cards that don't have DisplayPort.

CrossFire and SLI problems are usually separate from multi-monitor issues, and only effect new games that don't have CF/SLI profiles set up.

The multi-monitor issues that plague Eyefinity/Nvidia Surround plague TH2GO as well, and again are most common with new games that don't have fixes yet.

Eyefinity is built into AMD cards. Nvidia Surround is built into Nvidia SLI. TH2GO is an extra product, at an extra cost, that isn't necessary if you already have it built in. For the cost of TH2GO, you could upgrade to a better graphics card. If your cards don't support Eyefinity / Nvidia Surround, then you need TH2GO or SoftTH, and you don't have a choice.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2011, 21:04 

Interesting... thanks for the info.

I get the main point being made, but am still a bit confused.

"CrossFire and SLI problems are usually separate from multi-monitor issues,"

but then

"Nvidia Surround is built into Nvidia SLI."

That sounds contradictory to me, though I know it's from my own lack of knowledge. At this point I'm thinking my double card SLI is being used for and achieving an overall performance boost while I use TH2GO to achieve the multi-mon. I know the point has been made against that and I understand and agree... I just don't understand how "multi-mon issues are separate from SLI" jives with "SLI is multi-mon" (what I hear from the sentences).

Again, I know the fault is mine... is it that SLI problems are performance problems (FPS, etc) that don't affect achievement of multi-mon? I know it sounds obvious that's what it is, but again, it seemed to me that's not what I was seeing reflected in the comments from people who were having multi-mon issues using SLI.

I understand if no one has the time to go through it, just curious. Thanks again for the info.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 15:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Seems to me the latest hot debate is Eyefinity vs Surround, Nvidia vs. AMD, etc.

I got into the MM thing when TH2GO was nearly the only thing going. Still using it. (Digital edition). Still works easy and great and has on almost every title I've thrown at it since the old days with little tweaking (as far as my experience).

So what has made the TH2GO the inferior choice?

Thanks!

#1: TH2G never kept up with the maximum resolutions available for displays. You've got multi-display gamers all over doing 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 3x or 5x now.
#2: TH2G caps at 60hz in most cases. This makes S3D impossible. Want to do AMD HD3D or NVIDIA 3D Vision? Not with a TH2G.
#3: TH2G is an undue burden on the consumer to buy a $300 box when it's now native at a driver level for both AMD and NVIDIA. That money is better spent on other things. Maybe a second video card to help SLI/Crossfire all those multi-screen pixels.
#4: AMD and NVIDIA have more sway, influence and budget to drive multi-display game development. While Matrox was good about finding hack fixes for games, they never had the synergy with game developers that AMD and NVIDIA have to ensure games were multi-display certified by default.

Edit to add: #5: TH2G breaks DHCP so no Blu-ray or HDTV tuner card playback content. AMD Eyefinity and NVIDIA Surround retain DHCP capability while TH2G does not.
Edit to add: #6: TH2G doesn't allow you to do portrait rotation modes on your system.
Edit to add: #7: Only 2x1L or 3x1L options. No 4x1, 5x1 or 3x2. Eyefinity has developed way beyond the basic configuration possibilities.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 09:49 
Insiders
Insiders

I think BHawthorne has hit all points on the head.
The only real benefit to the TH2Go is expanding Eyefinity and Surround capabilities further by making additional inputs.

Unless you are running older hardware (4000 series ati or 9000 / 8000 series nVidia) or running windows xp or OSX or below, I don't see the need for the TH2Go.

Everything is now... better. Plain and simple.