Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Jul 2024, 22:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007, 13:21 

Well, trawled through and couldn't locate a solution to my problem.

Relevant system details:

# Dell 2007FP 20" Screen (x3) @ 1600x1200
# Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz
# Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Motherboard
# Gigabyte GV-RX195P256D-RH X1950 Pro (x2)
# Windows Vista 32-bit

- I dropped all my screens to 800x600@60Hz before shutting down.
- Attached the included DVI cable to the first DVI out on the first card, then the module, screens and finally USB cable.
- Booted up PC to find a red light come on the box.
- No view of POST, and only an audio cue to plug in my password for my workstation. Still nothing.
- Screens stay black.

I've tried turning on only the central screen; I've tried unplugging the USB cable. No joy.

Hopefully this isn't a dud unit. And hopfully someone can give me a step-by-step as to how they got their system up-and-running.

Anyone have the time to assist?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007, 13:51 

Bugger that.

I have a power failure; PC reboots and then it's all good!!

WTF??

Anyway. I've joined the club. Look forward to posting some opinions and screenshots, and getting more involved with WSGF.

S'Later.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007, 19:41 

hey man, i have the same problem as you, i can't just shutdown windows, reboot and have a picture, you need to flick the switch on your power supply to completely shut you computer off. then flick the switch on and power your computer and it will work. something about the matrox box not resetting cause its always getting power, you gotta stop the power to it to get the box to reset so you can see picture again, the only way to do this is to unplug the matrox stuff and plug it back in, or the easier way IMO to turn the power switch off on the PSU after shutting down windows and put it on again when rebooting. hope this helps, let me know if this fixes the problem, kinda annoying i know, you'd think matrox would put out an update to fix this problem but so far i've seen nothing.

i remember i thought mine was broken at first when i'd reboot and get no picture, thought i would have to install it everytime i rebooted. what a pain this was in the beginning but really isn't too bad with the PSU switch, better then reinstalling it everytime i boot up. good luck with it

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2007, 00:07 

I'm not a greenie (not that there's anything wrong with that) but I always turn off at the powerpoint in any case. Got a fair bit of electronics in the house, and it would surprise many how much power is drawn from the wall even when you believe the units are off.

A number of manufacturers even state that even when 'off', as much as 2W can be drawn by their equipment.

As such, I'm not sure what I can do to further test the matter. If it works, don't fook with it.

Now, I may even suggest that you make a habit of turning off at the wall, but otherwise, you can either unplug your USB cable or add a switch to the cable.

Ingredients:
- multimeter
- 2-pos levered switch (normally three pins at the bottom)
- scalpel/sharpie/stanley knife
- heatshrink
- soldering iron
- lead-free (non-Pb) solder

Cooking:
- plug USB cable into a device that supplies power
- use multimeter - often on the outer two connections - to determine GND and +5V
- remove insulation around the wires, and strip a little off your GND and +5V wires
- solder switch and apply heatshrink

**DO NOT USE THE SUPPLIED USB CABLE UNLESS YOU"RE EXPERIENCED: there's a reason for the ferrite cores on the cable, and screwing this up will not be...erm...good.

Okay, not the most in-depth explanation, but anyone interested can post a reply and if there's enough interest, I'll draw something up, or al least provide links to switches so you know what I'm talking about.