Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Sep 2024, 17:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NFS: ProStreet
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 01:56 

Heads up all, but this game is pretty lousy. The menus are all squished and distorted if you launch the game in any desktop rez different from 1280x1024. There appears to be no support for ANY WS mode in the game at all. It also has no auto config for graphics options and defaults to the lowest settings. I have never seen a game with a menu this bad before. It's like a time warp back to 1998. The graphics are nice IF it decides to save the settings for you. It wouldn't save any options for me for the first 3 or 4 restarts of the game. This thing is a mess.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 02:25 

It's pretty much a case of 'nothing's changed' as far as I can tell. I had bought NFS:MW and then Carbon, I'm still playing MW, why? Carbon won't run past menus, just plain crashes constantly, I had gotten a couple challenges done after install and it went downhill from there. ProStreet is again taking up the same engine, adding a couple shiny bits and dodads and feigning ws support to counter the previous's none and wait for suckers to pony up to crash from it.

I've put EA on a blacklist, three guesses why.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 03:08 

Yeah I forgot to mention that it has crashed on me twice already. If you accidentally double click on a menu when setting up your EA profile it CTD's....sheesh. Not buying an EA game is not an option any more with crysis, MOHA, etc. It's a love hate relationship with mostly a hate.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 13:55 

TBH, NFS has been getting worse and worse since Porsche. HP2 was still ok, but all that cheap japanese or VW tuning crap aka Underground, is just a kick in the face of any NFS fan.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 23:54 

I actually bought NFS:U2 (my first NFS game ever) after playing the demo for some time. I haven't even played it, I'm just not a race fan, I like driving not racing, which is why I like MW best. Shame someone else can't rip the MW concept, well, the challenge against cops part, and make it using an engine without cheap 2d hacks and less than stable runtime.

Post subject: Re: NFS: ProStreet
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 00:03 
Editors
Editors

Heads up all, but this game is pretty lousy. The menus are all squished and distorted if you launch the game in any desktop rez different from 1280x1024. There appears to be no support for ANY WS mode in the game at all. It also has no auto config for graphics options and defaults to the lowest settings. I have never seen a game with a menu this bad before. It's like a time warp back to 1998. The graphics are nice IF it decides to save the settings for you. It wouldn't save any options for me for the first 3 or 4 restarts of the game. This thing is a mess.

Eh? It works fine in widescreen, it's even Hor+ (check this thread) , i bet that it will be workable in surround, if not ingame, then with a hack.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2007, 16:24 

It won't even load the game menus at all for me without severely distorting them when I start the game in a desktop triplehead mode. Why it should care what desktop rez I run when a totally different 4x3 rez is set in the menu of the game is beyond me. This game is a mess. It wouldn't save any graphics or control options at all either until I created a career...

There is also no option in my game to select any rez that is not 4x3. 1600x1200 is as high as it goes for me and no options in the list for anything WS. There appears to be no support at all AFAIK. It should see the resolutions that my hardware is capable of using direct from the video driver but obviously it isn't. I looked for some kind of .ini to add the necessary rezs but there also appears to be no config file for this that i can find.

I hope it's easily fixed for triplehead but either way they have some patching to do on this thing. It looks like a direct console port with all associated bugs.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 02:40 

I hope it's easily fixed for triplehead but either way they have some patching to do on this thing. It looks like a direct console port with all associated bugs.

Hi there. So let me make sure I don't misunderstand you?..

The game is a mess?
It's a console port with all associated bugs?
All the posts in the widescreen section about it being Hor+ must be wrong?
But you hope they fix it for triplehead?

Er, why are you even bothering with it? I understand your frustration if the title doesn't correspond to what you expect.... but hey, why not post something constructive/helpful or learn how to fix it yourself for the benefit of the community...or just, play something else.

Just a thought...

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2007, 19:16 

Hi there. I'm 'bothering' with it as you say because I paid good money for it. Why else would you expect that I bother with it?? ;) In today's day and age it is RIDONKULOUS that game devs not code in proper WS support. I posted to let fellow triplehead users know not to bother wasting their money on this mess so as not to get taken to the cleaners like I did. Like I said, there is no .ini or .cfg file that I can see to add the necessary resolutions and the game appears to ignore the available driver resolutions circa 1998. Since I don't know how to hack game code like dopefish or racer then I don't see what I can add short of letting the community know not to waste their money like I did. It may very well work with a WS monitor but since this is the triplehead surround board then that issue is moot since those of us here use triplehead setups.

Have you posted anything worthwhile lately yourself or do you just troll around on the boards busting b@ll$ of those that try to warn the public about troublesome games released in an alpha stage? Something for you to think about...

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 19:37 

In today's day and age it is RIDONKULOUS that game devs not code in proper WS support. I posted to let fellow triplehead users know not to bother wasting their money on this mess so as not to get taken to the cleaners like I did.

Have you posted anything worthwhile lately yourself or do you just troll around on the boards busting b@ll$ of those that try to warn the public about troublesome games released in an alpha stage? Something for you to think about...

Hi there. I agree it's ridiculous, but we are a niche gaming community so you are already preaching to the converted with regards to proper widescreen support when you say that.

I actually like the game (even in 5:4 mode) so I wont go as far as to call it a mess just because of an overlooked/ignored triplehead issue. The game supports widescreen and appears to be Hor+ to boot. I don't think any game devs set out to support triplehead (with the possible exception of Overlord), it just happens as a result of good widescreen support and/or hacking by the community.

I didn't mean to 'bust your balls' and perhaps I was a bit abrupt and for that I apologise. But to call a game a mess because it doesn't do native triplehead is a bit harsh I think. By this standard, Bioshock is a mess and call of Duty 4 as both need hacks to support triplehead.

As for my meagre contribution to the community.. drum roll please. Check out my fantastic Freelancer guide. Yeah, i know. It's old, but hey it works!!