Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Sep 2024, 15:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bezel Management
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007, 20:13 

I bought a digital TH2G and am having problems with bezel management.
I can enable it(and hot key it on and off) on the desktop,but it doesn't activate during games.

anyone have this issue or a possible solution?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 04:22 

I got this fixed with new vid card drivers,and reinstalling the matrox software

I guess you can delete this post

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 06:51 
Founder
Founder

We'll leave it, in case someone has a similar issue. This may point them in the right direction.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 16:34 

Hmm, I have the latest drivers (or at least I did two weeks ago when I installed the Digital TripleHead2Go) and I'm also having this problem. I initially had it mapped to SHIFT+q, but once I realized that the Matrox software trapped the key and I couldn't type a capital Q on the desktop, I switched it to ALT+b (for "bezel"). Neither key combo seems to work in-game.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 17:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I too have found the bezelmanagement hotkeys to work intermittenly.

I have yet to find a pattern.

It should also be noted that using bezel management will cause you to lose some pixels from the extreme left and extreme right of your monitor array causing black "bars" on the extreme left and right. Personally I find the trade-off worth it..... but I was suprised as I was not aware this would be an issue.

Also... does anyone know if it is possible to enter the physical width of your bezels to assist in rendering the image? Although the image is hidden by the bezels, it does not exactly correspond to the bezel size and thus things transfer from one screen to another a tad faster than it seems it should.

i7-4770k @4ghz

16GB Ram

Planar SA2311W 3D Vision monitors (x3)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 18:42 

I too have found the bezelmanagement hotkeys to work intermittenly.

I have yet to find a pattern.

It should also be noted that using bezel management will cause you to lose some pixels from the extreme left and extreme right of your monitor array causing black "bars" on the extreme left and right. Personally I find the trade-off worth it..... but I was suprised as I was not aware this would be an issue.

Also... does anyone know if it is possible to enter the physical width of your bezels to assist in rendering the image? Although the image is hidden by the bezels, it does not exactly correspond to the bezel size and thus things transfer from one screen to another a tad faster than it seems it should.

how do you set your hotkeys? Because on my side I can apply an hotkey like Alt-A and get it to work on windows desktop and unreal tournament 2003 with no problem.

Remember that the hotkey will apply for all the triplehead resolution bezel adjust, but each resolution will retain his left and right value. Example: set 3840x1024 with hotkey alt-a with left: 15 pixel and right:0 pixel, it won't be the same value for 3072x768, but it will be the same hotkey for change bezel. Remember to enable the bezel management in each triplehead mode you use.

With which game you have this issue?

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 19:52 

It should also be noted that using bezel management will cause you to lose some pixels from the extreme left and extreme right of your monitor array causing black "bars" on the extreme left and right. Personally I find the trade-off worth it..... but I was surprised as I was not aware this would be an issue.
Keeping in mind the TripleHead2Go is "only" a device that splits up your triplehead video image, this isn't really surprising to me. The image gets shifted, not redistributed after a side has been chopped off. Besides, if the image was shifted to fill the screen, it would be distorted. Noticing the distortion shift as a game objects crosses from the center monitor to a side monitor could be just as distracting as having object "jump" over your bezels.

Did you use Matrox's blue screen to assist in your alignment? They provide a series of long straight lines to match everything up, so If you don't like how it looks perhaps you should try setting the parameters again.

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 21:34 

Bezel management:

Thought there was a calibration screen included here for setup to align the screens, by visually aligning the diagonal lines one wouyld essentially set the amount of shift. This I thought was well explained on matrox's website.

Although I dont yet have it, I accept the blanks at the ends as a consequence, much rather have that then jumping images on the bezel edges.

as to teh buggy natureof the hot key, I'm not suprised, we still deal with powerdesk on occasion not loading, though in the registry for all users run ...

so, Waz ... should I go get one? :)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 23:32 
Insiders
Insiders

Bezel management:

Thought there was a calibration screen included here for setup to align the screens, by visually aligning the diagonal lines one wouyld essentially set the amount of shift. This I thought was well explained on matrox's website.

Although I dont yet have it, I accept the blanks at the ends as a consequence, much rather have that then jumping images on the bezel edges.

as to teh buggy natureof the hot key, I'm not suprised, we still deal with powerdesk on occasion not loading, though in the registry for all users run ...

so, Waz ... should I go get one? :)

Yes. A good buy IMHO. I'm VERY happy with my choice of three HP LP2065 1600x1200 20.1" screens as non-gaming work looks fantastic! Also, as I believe JKeefe has mentioned before, Ultramon is a MUST for multi-screen computing. The Matrox Powerdesk software is a joke in comparison.... although you obviously still need it for setting up bezel management.

I do use the line-up software to get the bezel lines lined up.... and it does work quite well. I'll tweak a bit more to see if I can perfect the bezels hiding the image. The image *does* hide behind the bezels and it is MUCH better IMHO than when I have BM off.... but it just seems that the image should be hidden a *tad* longer than it is. Hard to explain.... but, for example, when running Armed Assault in demo mode, there is a scene where a soldier walks across the area between two of the monitors. The time it takes him to walk "behind" the bezels (which measures a total of 32mm on my screens) is quicker than when he walks 32mm of screen distance without moving behind a bezel. Does that make sense?

Overall, I am quite pleased with the product and am glad Matrox decided to go this route as it enables me to continue upgrading my graphics cards while maintaining triplehead.

i7-4770k @4ghz

16GB Ram

Planar SA2311W 3D Vision monitors (x3)

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

PostPosted: 12 May 2008, 03:06 

has anyone had a problem when trying to setup bezel management? when i click on the check box to "Enable" it it takes about 3 minutes before it actually gets checked and when i finally get it back it takes the same amount of time to adjust it. every one click adjustment does this.

is this a GXM thing or do i possible have something going on elsewhere?