Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 16:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 12:46 

Apologies for my noob-question in advance, but this problem is driving me up the wall:
I been successful in getting Flight Sim X to tun on all 3 screens (using the Matrox Surround Gaming Utility), but that's where the fun ends.
Both Far Cry (again using the Matrox SGU) and Call of Duty 2 (using Racer_S's solution) refuse to expand to all three screens and only run on the centre one. However, in both games I am able to set and see the desiered Field of Vision in the centre screen :(
I have also tried playing around with the Matrox PowerDesk utiliy (setting to maxime over all screens etc) but without any success regarding the problem. The only occasiion where one of the two side screens went on was where I set a game resoultion beyond the native resoultion of my TFTs in the games' options menus.

I was hoping one of the many experienced surround gamers might have encountered this problem before and could help me out? Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 17:31 
Editors
Editors

So the FOV for both games is working but not the resolution ? ... correct ?

How are you trying to set the resolution for the two games ?

For Call of Duty 2 ... I think you have to set the games resolution in the games video/preferences menu ... you mayy have to change the Aspect Ratio option for the TripleHead resolutions to become available ...
Then use the Racer_S tool for the just the FOV ...

For FarCry ... rather than using the SGU try setting it up using this "solution" ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6385
The FOV should be set at it's highest for TripleHead which is 180.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 22:57 

Yes, the setting of the FOV seems to ok, I can see this because when it is activated all three screens are "squeezed" into the center one - its only the streching part which I can't figure out ...

As regards the setting of the resoultion: neither Call of Duty 2 nor Far Cry allow me to choose my desired setting (3840x1024 - like FlightSimX) in the game preferences menus (these menus only go up to the 1280x1024 setting). So I set them manually via editing of the .cfg files, however when I run the game the two side screens remain blank and the .cfg files change themselves back to 1280x1024.

If I chose the setting 1280x720 in the preferences menu during gameplay, the left screen goes on and the picture is stretched over 2 screens (although it appears to be cut off at the top).

I have tried both suggested solutions - without success: CoD2 - could not change preferences in menu, .cfg alteration was unsuccessful; Far Cry - .cfg alteration as mentioned in the referred to post was also unsuccessful.

Any more ideas? Appreciated.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2007, 23:24 
Editors
Editors

You've got me really puzzled ... I can't understand why they aren't working ... :?

Sorry ... :(

The only thing I can suggest is that you contact Matrox ... http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/corpo/support/forums.php?f=63

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 02:47 

I had a similar problem in WoW, after getting a new video card the 8800gts, It turns out my old card the 6800gt the VGA output was the MAIN output on the video card, shows up as Output 1 in Nvidia Screen management. On the new card I put it in the same spot and it was Considered output 2. I could not get games to expand to 3 screens for nothing. I change the output the triplehead was on , and BAM , worked perfectly, so try physically changing the output the Triplehead2go is on. Aparently it has to be IDENTIFIED as being number 1 in your display settings or some games may not work. I know Oblivion worked on either output, but WoW would only work if it is display 1.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 09:44 

BINGO :D Shockwave has the solution! It's working now.

For the benefit of others (who are similarly unknowledgeable as myself): physically changing the VGA output to the main output (as suggested by shockwave), where it probably should have been connected in the first place :oops: , now shows the higher resolutions in the games' menus and expands the picture onto all three screens. Everything works perfect now.

Thanks to shockwave and Paddy the Wak for their efforts, I hope to be able to contribute to the forum myself, once I get more acquainted with the surround gaming world :)

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 09:52 
Editors
Editors

Great news ... shockwave ... the man !
I'll make a note of this one in case it comes up again ...

Oh and a little late ...
Welcome to the WSGF citygent ... 8)

Post subject: a new hope...
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2007, 19:10 

nice! Yesterday I made the leap and got me a TH2G, and despite having a 20@ 16:10 screen sandwiched by two 17" 4:3s, the mode expander tool made me think I could use the widescreen settings to keep the center screen at the right aspect ratio and squish the side screens horizontally, however whenever I tried to set the resolution to 3840x768 or 720, it would attempt to do it across the left and centre screen, and disable the right screen... giving a confusingly 'wide-yet-anorexic' display. At the moment I'm using ultramon with hotkeys to switch from the TH2G to use the other 3 DVi ports on my 2 graphics cards, but the TH is on the secondary DVI of my main card, perhaps swapping it to be the primary will solve this.... I'll give it a go later, i'm currently on my ladyfriends crapbook (although I'd love to have a black macbook running vista... if it had a right mouse button)