Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 11:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 03:09 

Okay, i'll do my best to try to explain this. When you have multiple monitors the black bars from the two screens meeting up is always quite annoying. Not because they are blocking your vision really, but because the gap is there however the image your displaying across these screens doesn't know about these gaps. So theres a weird invisible gap....

What if there was a program that was very customizable that allowed you to tweak the resolution so that at the parts where your black bars are it would SKIP them, this way it would block more vision however it would give it an overall more real feeling as if you're looking outside a window and the black bars are just supports. You'll never be able to see behind the black bars...

Does this make any sense lol?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 03:30 

this sound like a great idea for backgrounds, but it would get real annoying for other stuff... just imagine writing a paper and wondering if you misspelled the word behind the black bar.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2006, 09:34 

Well you could turn it off and on with a simple hot key. Then if you ever bumped your monitor and the gap got a little off you could tweak it by clicking and dragging.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2006, 00:24 

this sound like a great idea for backgrounds, but it would get real annoying for other stuff...
Exactly.

When I did my TripleHead2Go review I played around with this a bit. Read the page image alignment to see some pros and cons, as well as a few pictures. Since I use CRTs I could manually adjust the monitor geometry.

A hotkey to turn it on an off would of course be a great idea, but the whole implementation sounds a lot less trivial than what the TripleHead2Go is currently doing.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 21:45 

Or we can all pine for the digital version of the TH2G, announced today ... which has Bezel Management, which corrects this, leaving you with a slight black bars ont he outer edges of monitor 1 and 3, shifting them to the left/right to eliminate the "gap".

Damn, only had my analong edition for a bit, and now I'm going to have to shell out more for the new version?

Hmm, perhaps if is is software related (and I do not think being digital has anything to do with it) perhaps they can implement this to the analog version of Power Desk.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 03:36 

digital TH looks sweet, but I can't afford to sacrifice two dvi slots on my cards, I've got it configured with ultramon so that a keystroke switches between triplehead and all 3 screens individually on dvi (across 2 graphics cards). When my screens are in analog I can change the 'phase' and various other horizontal stretch/positioning settings on each monitor to do exactly what you want though... have you tried playing with monitor settings on the actual monitor rather than with software?

edit: I should totally have read what JKeefe wrote... he already said this pretty much :

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 15:33 

If you have 2 cards, you wouldnt have a need for the TH2G I would think.

I may yet wait for it to drop a bit in price, or sell my analog on eBay then purrchase as a replacement.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 16:47 

Why do you say that? The reasons you need the analogue Triplehead2Go (to present a single screen to Windows) don't change with the digital edition.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 17:48 

you cant run a full screen app across 2 graphics cards. Plus my centre monitor + TH2G are on the faster card

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2007, 19:01 

I stand corrected, I must have been drain bramaged when I wrote that though I allowed for error. :wink: