Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:12 

[quote]Is there anyway of editing the (.ini) files or some other fix to allow using only the middle monitor on an eyefinity setup?

The only quick way I can think of offhand is to switch between Extended Desktop and Eyefinity, with Windows Key + P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOHRPunVHVI

Thanks! Worked great, will stick to one screen till all the kinks are worked out.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 16:31 

[quote]Once this is done, I COPY both files, and paste them somewhere that can be accessed easily.

But you know that you need to overwrite the falloutprefs.ini from SteamUserDataYOURSTEAMID]22380Remote with the falloutprefs.ini from your myGames-Dir after you edited it?
Yea, that was in my original post about my solution. While working with the INI files I would always leave them open and would be told when they were changed by an outside program. Currently, the file in the 22380 folder is totally left alone which makes be curious. The main issue for me is the overwriting of the Fallout.ini file - without manually overwriting it post-launcher I get shoehorned into the default bEnableEyefinity=1 mode, which is far from perfect.

What I want to know now is if there a Steam setting (cloud etc) that is controlling whether or not it uses the duplicate FalloutPrefs.ini file, and whether or not it is related to the launcher overwriting the
Fallout.ini file.

Makes me want to use the lunch break to drive up to Bethesda and start asking around, I have a funny feeling they are not to keen to letting random weirdos in though.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 17:21 

I don't know what theSteam cloud is exactly. I suppose it is on by default?
I only use Steam to buy games, I don't use any of its fluff, though it is probably all on and working.
I do launch my game from Steam Library, or from the Steam Taskbar icon if it is already running. I don't have a shortcut to the FoNV Launcher. Doubt it matter though.
One thing I see when the game is loading is a pop up window to hit Tab to enter something or other of Steam. I never do. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 18:28 

FIRST: Start the launcher. Everytime I start the Fallout launcher it actually overwrites these two files with some sort of default file, even if Fallout.ini is set to Read Only. The FalloutPrefs.ini file seems to maintain all of the correct settings, but the Fallout.ini file appears to be the one actually setting values like iSafeX and bEnableEyefinity, and this file is being overwritten with the default values.

After the launcher is started, I complete all of the changes to the two files described in my previous post.

Once this is done, I COPY both files, and paste them somewhere that can be accessed easily.

Then I can play Fallout NV with no problems, gamble, pillage, ignore that stupid Caravan card game, what have you.

Now when I quit, I see that the FalloutPrefs.ini file has been overwritten again, no big deal. However, the next time I start the launcher it will once again overwrite BOTH files. The idea here is to start the launcher, then overwrite the copies of FalloutPrefs.ini and Fallout.ini with the ones you previously copied. Every time. Lame. Functional, but lame.

Thanks a ton, CrashAegis, for figuring this out and taking the time to post it. Got me playing again! :-)

I'm pretty ticked about this whole situation - I feel tremendously disrespected that they don't fix these problems before release. Even if it means pushing the release back.

Anyway, thanks to everybody who pitched in to figure out workarounds. Here's my contribution.

Once you have your .INI settings all figured out, a way to implement Crash's suggestions more easily is with a simple batch file. Here's how I did it:

Code:
C:
   cd "C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonfallout new vegas"
   Start FalloutNV.exe

Pause

attrib -R "D:DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNVFallout.ini"
   del "D:DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNVFallout.ini"
   copy "D:DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNVfallout - Copy.ini" "D:DocumentsMy GamesFalloutNVFallout.ini"

Tweak the above script to match your own file paths, then save it somewhere handy as, say, "RunStupidFalloutNV.bat". When you run the script, it will launch the splash screen and wait for you. Once the splash screen is loaded (and it obliterates your .INI tweaks), hit any key to have it manipulate your files. Then, launch the program from the splash screen. Cuts the launch procedure down to one extra keystroke! :-)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:03 

No mate I'm not kidding. Kotor 2 (Obsidian) inferior to Kotor 1 (Bioware); NWN2 (Obsidian) inferior to NWN (Bioware); Alpha Protocol (Obsidian) = garbage. I don't care who founded Obsidian, their track record in recent years is poor.

KOTOR 2 sucked because it was rushed out in under a year of development time at the behest of Lucas Arts, and even then the parts that were complete showed some improvement over KOTOR 1, and the main quest was superbly philosophical until it broke down at the rushed ending. The original campaigns for *both* NWN games were absolute junk, but the add ons were a lot better (Mask of the Betrayer for NWN2 had a very cool Planescape-like vibe to it). As far as AP goes, I haven't played it but I do hear that it's bad, so I'll give you that one.

For FO:NV though, everywhere I turn I see fans of the original games saying that this is what FO3 should have been. The writing in particular is night-and-day better. I was only able to stomach about 5 hours of FO3 myself.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:14 
Editors
Editors

Butch - Steam Cloud is the service offered which uploads saves, settings etc to Valves servers so you can play games in your Steam account across multiple PCs without losing where you are, etc. Or at least, that's the idea... I usually end up disabling it.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:39 

Butch - Steam Cloud is the service offered which uploads saves, settings etc to Valves servers so you can play games in your Steam account across multiple PCs without losing where you are, etc. Or at least, that's the idea... I usually end up disabling it.

Saves I get - I was playing Torchlight on my desktop and laptop at the same time and found that to be pretty useful. If the same is true for settings though it strikes me as nigh insanity.

High end gaming rigs - certainly those of us with Eyefinity setups - are highly customized and no single settings file could hope to function with the plethora of different hardware configurations that exist. The sad thing is that this feels like this is (or was? or maybe still is?) what is going on with NV here.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 19:58 
Editors
Editors

Aye, I didn't see the point in the settings carrying over - I mean, none of my systems have the same specs, I usually end up customising settings for each rig, otherwise what runs fine on (at the time) a 4870X2 doesn't run so well on an 8800GT. And so on.

Here's Valves original News release on it. It's evolved a bit since then, of course...

http://store.steampowered.com/news/1968/

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 20:21 

Apologies if this double posts, been doing these posts all this afternoon via iPhone and a wonky 3G connection.

Upon further research we can avoid the INI overwriting problem entirely by running the game without the launcher:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34935
In a nutshell all you need to do is to create a batch file in the directory with the FalloutNV.exe executable with the following code:
Code:
set SteamAppID=22380
   FalloutNV.exe

I won't be home for a few hours so if someone has some success with this do let me know.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2010, 21:48 

A big thanks for all your effort CrashAegis. You have got us to the point where FO:NV is at least playable in eyefinity. Without your ini configs, all the game would be doing is taking up hard disk space on my pc.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next