Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 19:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 10:22 

Play it through XP if possible the performance will be far better, I have one Nvidia 9800 GX2 and I dont get any slow downs :D

If you have to use Vista disable the Sidebar and Windows Defender as these can have a hit on performance :D

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 11:52 
Editors
Editors

Hello Mach1.9 ...
Very rarely does mine go below 30fps in normal game play it is usually anything from 30-50fps ... and I don't find it jerky at all.
That is with everything maxed out and Multisampling=3 in the ini file as for me it is greyed out in the game.
When I go into eagle vision it does drop down to around 15fps ... that said I don't have a big problem with it ... I pretend/convince myself that it is part of the effect ... lol
My system has been slightly upgraded to what is in my sig ... I now have a new MB and a q6600 ... new PS ... etc ...
I just haven't bothered to update it as I have a better system on the way ... :D ...

790i MB
QX9770 Chip
1300W Tagan PS
Silverstone TJ07B Case
4GB Corsair TwinX XMS3, DDR3
2 x EVGA 9800 GX2 GPU's
1000 GB Samsung HD

One other thing is I occasionally get a bit of a sound glitch when the woman's voice in the Animus is giving the tips as I enter the level ... fps at this point are also about 15 ... I would imagine because it is loading the level and again it isn't a problem for me.

I dumped Vista a while back ... may be I'll go back to it when I start to hear that it is better than XP for games.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 13:06 

Hi Paddy

You are right to stick with XP for gaming the performance difference in Vista is still very noticeable....we as you know have some of the highest spec gaming rigs in the country and we get to play..(err I mean test :D ) these babies out and I have run 2 of these identical systems alongside each other one with Vista and one with XP this week and the XP system was getting a higher 3DMark benchmark score, more FPS in games (including Crysis)

I would strongly recommend Mach1.9 that you stick to XP for gaming even with Service Pack 1 installed on Vista the system overheads are too demanding at the moment

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 13:34 
Editors
Editors

I'm glad you started to talk Vista as i was this [<>] close away from buying 4GB of RAM + Vista Ultimate - as in a couple of days away.
But now, I think I'll wait. :P

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 14:13 

Wise choice for now :D

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 20:53 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I went vista only cos I had a spare (revived) GTX and to get tri-SLI you need vista. I like it as an operating system, much prefer it ito XP once tweaked..but gaming Nope it sucks. But some games are OK.
So I will probably pull out the 3rd GTX and reboot into XP for AC in TH2Go.

As a note, Paddy, on your new system. I thought you need Vista to use Quad-SLI? http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14471
I am going to miss the 8 and a half (89xx) generation because from what I have seen/read the performance isn't much more than 3xGTX ultra and I am almost there with my OC'd GTXs. I am going to get a Q9450 (when one is available!) and OC it then drop the q6600 into my TV rig (for better folding) but I will wait for Nehalem and GT200/RV770 until my next big upgrade :)
Enjoy yours though, I just hope, for your sake, that the GX2s get good support with drivers because they will be end of life in a couple of months or so. NVidia were not that great with the Quad 7950 (?) drivers from what I have read

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 22:28 

How did you get the screenshots Paddy my Fraps screws up the outside screens when I run it...?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008, 22:43 
Insiders
Insiders

The AC tweakguide is up as well for those that are interested: http://www.tweakguides.com/AC_1.html

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 08:39 
Editors
Editors

@ Mach1.9 ...
Thanks for the heads-up on XP and Quad Sli with the GX2's ... I had quad 7950's and yeah the support sucked ... I shall investigate further ...
Also thanks for the heads-up on the tweak guide ... I spoke Koroush and he said he would mention Racers_S aspect ratio fixer and link back to us which he has done ... 8)

@ Ben ...
Fraps works fine for me ... the numers are a bit screwed up when the black bars are there but it works.
When the black bars are gone using the fixer the numbers are fine ...
Maybe you need to update it ... ?

8)

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2008, 23:07 

Paddy thanks for the advice and yep the Fraps was an old one updated and all working now :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next