Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 Sep 2024, 04:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Titanfall Beta
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 14:50 
Insiders
Insiders

I've tried changing the FOV scale from 1.3, to higher values but it doesn't change, even when making the file read-only. Hopefully if we get enough players requesting it, then it will be implemented properly for launch - also don't be afraid to hit up @VinceZampella and @Titanfallgame on twitter also!

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2014, 18:50 
Administrators
Administrators

OK I've properly tested this using NVIDIA Surround, the game is natively horizontal plus and correctly adjusts the FoV for multi-monitor systems, the FoV slider also works correctly, changing the multi-monitor FoV with it.

The only notable issue is the in game HUD, the issue is that the HUD is scaled based upon the width of the monitor compared to the aspect ratio. Since all multi-monitor resolutions appear under 16:9, a triple 16:9 setup triples the size of the HUD, since the UI is centred this means the top and bottom 1/3 of the HUD are not rendered on screen.

There are a few ways to fix this, firstly, the easy way is to bind the HUD scaled based on the resolutions height rather then its width, this will means part's of the HUD will bleed over on 3x16:10 but it's better then not seeing the HUD at all.
Second option, give everyone the ability to define the HUD scale.
Third option, probably going to be the hardest, but allow the players to define horizontal and vertical offsets from the sides of the screen, see games like Strike Suit Zero and Battlefield 3 and 4 for examples of this.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2014, 23:25 

So I'm playing the beta with NVidia surround and without the HUD it's still fun... but I know I'm taking a beating because of it too. So I wanted to brainstorm with the best. :rockout:

Basically it seems we need to find the HUD file and just change the configuration within. If you look at other games based on the source engine (like LFD2 I believe), they use VPK files. This guy created a viewer for Titanfall VPK files:
http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11208

So hopefully we will be able to extract (once we find what file it is) and possibly even use the same logic as Delphium's FOV & AR Calc:
http://www.wsgf.org/HUD_Editor

What do you guys think? :onethumb:

-b0n3z

VPK file location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Titanfall-Beta\vpk

One of the files I'm viewing:
englishclient_mp_common.bsp.pak000_dir.vpk

ASUS Maximus XII Gene MB | i7 4790k CPU with Corsair Hydro Series H80i | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB | (2) EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX1080 Founders Edition in HB SLI | 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | Corsair Digital AX760i PSU | (3) Asus PG279Q (1) Asus PG278Q mounted on WSGF Ultimate Desk Stand v2 with Thru Desk Mount (3+1 Landscape Surround) | HTC Vive | Grace Design m9XX Headphone Amp/DAC | AudioEngine A5+ Bamboo | Ultimate Ears CIEM UE-5 Pro | ErgoDox Infinity Keyboard (Cherry Red) with Custom Keycaps | Logitech G502 Proteus Core Mouse | Win10 Enterprise x64

Current Setup

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 01:03 
Administrators
Administrators

b0n3z wrote:
So I'm playing the beta with NVidia surround and without the HUD it's still fun... but I know I'm taking a beating because of it too. So I wanted to brainstorm with the best. :rockout:

Basically it seems we need to find the HUD file and just change the configuration within. If you look at other games based on the source engine (like LFD2 I believe), they use VPK files. This guy created a viewer for Titanfall VPK files:

So hopefully we will be able to extract (once we find what file it is) and possibly even use the same logic as Delphium's FOV & AR Calc:

-b0n3z

VPK file location:

If I'm honest I would say don't bother till the game comes out, the beta will be over tomorrow and they very well might change things that'll undo any effort you put into fixing it now.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2014, 01:41 
Insiders
Insiders

b0n3z wrote:

-b0n3z

VPK file location:

I actually find not playing with a hud less distracting - and I'm doing pretty good - mostly mvping matches. In saying that, I'd rather the option to have it, and then turn it off, but I play with no hud on BF4 (HC mode). Should be interesting to see if they have this fixed for launch, I hope everyone is harassing them on forums and social media! :P

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2014, 17:55 

Toothless Spoon wrote:
b0n3z wrote:

-b0n3z

VPK file location:

I actually find not playing with a hud less distracting - and I'm doing pretty good - mostly mvping matches. In saying that, I'd rather the option to have it, and then turn it off, but I play with no hud on BF4 (HC mode). Should be interesting to see if they have this fixed for launch, I hope everyone is harassing them on forums and social media! :P

I am doing 1600p surround and playing at 8050x1600, I keep on getting random crashes with
Fault Module Name: nvwgf2umx.dll.

Lots of screen tearing and its annoying as can be. Hud wise / seeing peoples names way too hard. Anyone here figure out any Nvidia Surround optimum settings?

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 16:00 

I'm new here, but I've been working on the solution for this because it's bugging me. The game is out, so we're not dealing with beta code anymore.

b0n3z is on the right track,
VPK file location:

Relevant file

Look in "resources/ui/" for "hudmain" and extract. My gut tells me we can just take the default safe area wide:90% tall:%90 and mess with that. One would presume, tall:30% (or somewhere in that range) would bring the HUD back into view on a triple wide setup. With the width, you could possibly even move it into the center monitor. This area is the second section in the hudmain.res file, right under "screen".

There is no safe area adjustment or calibration within the game. For reference, yes, I did check the HUD safe area setting in the Menu, which has the options Large and Small. It does not change this value in the vpk, it changes the value "cl_safe area" from a 1-large to 0-small on line 3 of the file at %user\Documents\Respawn\Titanfall\profile\profile.cfg

How do we recompile this back into the game and test? Admittedly, my programming knowledge has run out at this point.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 00:29 
I Donated
I Donated

My Name is Ray wrote:
I'm new here, but I've been working on the solution for this because it's bugging me. The game is out, so we're not dealing with beta code anymore.

VPK file location:

Relevant file

Look in "resources/ui/" for "hudmain" and extract. My gut tells me we can just take the default safe area wide:90% tall:%90 and mess with that. One would presume, tall:30% (or somewhere in that range) would bring the HUD back into view on a triple wide setup. With the width, you could possibly even move it into the center monitor. This area is the second section in the hudmain.res file, right under "screen".

There is no safe area adjustment or calibration within the game. For reference, yes, I did check the HUD safe area setting in the Menu, which has the options Large and Small. It does not change this value in the vpk, it changes the value "cl_safe area" from a 1-large to 0-small on line 3 of the file at %user\Documents\Respawn\Titanfall\profile\profile.cfg

How do we recompile this back into the game and test? Admittedly, my programming knowledge has run out at this point.

Hopefully someone can help you out with this. This is indeed another game that needs a centered HUD.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 01:11 
Editors
Editors

My Name is Ray wrote:

VPK file location:

Relevant file

Looks like the author is adding repack support in soon - so that should solve the problem?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 04:11 

peanut wrote:

Looks like the author is adding repack support in soon - so that should solve the problem?

Well, in that case, this might be an easy fix with a short wait. He did say "very soon", so my fingers are crossed I can see what the heck is going on before the week is over. Should be an easy enough solution until they patch it.