Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Aug 2024, 13:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: NFS: ProStreet
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2007, 22:42 

I don't think any game devs set out to support triplehead (with the possible exception of Overlord), it just happens as a result of good widescreen support and/or hacking by the community.
That's definitely not true. Off the top of my head, here are some titles where the developer clearly gave thought to a good triplehead experience (meaning not only does the game work well in triplehead, but the HUDs are on the center screen, the menus aren't distorted, etc.).

Lock On: Modern Air Combat
Wings Over Vietnam
Source-engined games (i.e. Half Life 2)
rFactor (with a separate viewport for each monitor)

Multiple genres. Multiple titles. Special triplehead features. It doesn't happen by accident, because most titles don't feature these little niceties. Some developers care about it and some don't. The ones who do deserve special recognition.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 00:56 

Lock On: Modern Air Combat
Wings Over Vietnam

Don’t forget Live for Speed. As a matter of fact one of the devs has triplehead setup.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 06:44 

Before anybody bashes the game again, Need for Speed ProStreet does support 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4...along with +hor and no HUD stretches (oh snap, EA!) And there is no real FOV or whatever like a FPS, the FOV constantly changes with the speed. However I never tested triplehead so I don't know about that.

1680x1050, 16x AA, 16x AF, downsized to 1280x800 in Photoshop.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 16:08 

Hi there. I agree it's ridiculous, but we are a niche gaming community so you are already preaching to the converted with regards to proper widescreen support when you say that.

I actually like the game (even in 5:4 mode) so I wont go as far as to call it a mess just because of an overlooked/ignored triplehead issue. The game supports widescreen and appears to be Hor+ to boot. I don't think any game devs set out to support triplehead (with the possible exception of Overlord), it just happens as a result of good widescreen support and/or hacking by the community.

I didn't mean to 'bust your balls' and perhaps I was a bit abrupt and for that I apologise. But to call a game a mess because it doesn't do native triplehead is a bit harsh I think. By this standard, Bioshock is a mess and call of Duty 4 as both need hacks to support triplehead.

As for my meagre contribution to the community.. drum roll please. Check out my fantastic Freelancer guide. Yeah, i know. It's old, but hey it works!!

Well I meant it was a mess because of the wacked out menus when starting from a desktop triplehead rez (what's that all about??) and the lack of the game saving any of my option settings until I figured out that I had to enter a race in my career. I created a career and no options would save until I started a race day! It crashes a lot as well. That's what I meant when I called the game a mess and it still is in dire need of a patch imo. It is enjoyable I admit and I am having fun with it, but the game is a mess and is a beta at best. For lack of a better word it is 'consolized'.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 16:17 

Before anybody bashes the game again, Need for Speed ProStreet does support 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4...along with +hor and no HUD stretches (oh snap, EA!) And there is no real FOV or whatever like a FPS, the FOV constantly changes with the speed. However I never tested triplehead so I don't know about that.

How are you getting those 16x9 and 16x10 options? Is there a place in the game menu to change the aspect ratio to see these new resolutions? I have no options for any WS rez in my game graphics options and the highest rez is 1600x1200. My hardware does 2400x600, 3072x768 and 3840x1024 and none of those rez's are available as a choice in the nfs pro street graphics options. It appears that the game just ignores the windows driver settings and provides me with a list of the most commonly used 4x3 rez's. If there is an area to choose 16x9 in the nfs pro street options that unlocks these resolutions for me then i would be very grateful and eat a piece of humble pie for calling the game a relic but i sure haven't seen this option anywhere. Also why on earth would the game require me to start from a desktop resolution of 1280x1024 in order to not have distorted game menus? Even if the game resolution set in the game options menu is set to 1280x1024 if i start the game from a desktop rez of 3840x1024 it distorts all the graphics in the game and apparently takes the 1280x1024 game rez and tries to stretch it to fit 3840x1024 on a single monitor. It's bizarre!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 16:24 

[quote]Lock On: Modern Air Combat
Wings Over Vietnam

Don’t forget Live for Speed. As a matter of fact one of the devs has triplehead setup.

Test Drive Unlimited for all its quirks is a magnificent example of a game with triplehead support, trackir support, and perfect g25 manual transmission with clutch support. Flight sim 9 and 10 both perfect examples of support in a sim. I loved nfs most wanted but stopped playing it because of its lack of proper WS support at all, yet alone triplehead support (racer's patch just never did really fix the FOV issue well enough for me either). NFS pro street is not a games for windows game so I suppose we are lucky that it even supports WS at all....sigh.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2007, 21:52 

[quote]Before anybody bashes the game again, Need for Speed ProStreet does support 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, 5:4...along with +hor and no HUD stretches (oh snap, EA!) And there is no real FOV or whatever like a FPS, the FOV constantly changes with the speed. However I never tested triplehead so I don't know about that.

How are you getting those 16x9 and 16x10 options? Is there a place in the game menu to change the aspect ratio to see these new resolutions? I have no options for any WS rez in my game graphics options and the highest rez is 1600x1200. My hardware does 2400x600, 3072x768 and 3840x1024 and none of those rez's are available as a choice in the nfs pro street graphics options. It appears that the game just ignores the windows driver settings and provides me with a list of the most commonly used 4x3 rez's. If there is an area to choose 16x9 in the nfs pro street options that unlocks these resolutions for me then i would be very grateful and eat a piece of humble pie for calling the game a relic but i sure haven't seen this option anywhere. Also why on earth would the game require me to start from a desktop resolution of 1280x1024 in order to not have distorted game menus? Even if the game resolution set in the game options menu is set to 1280x1024 if i start the game from a desktop rez of 3840x1024 it distorts all the graphics in the game and apparently takes the 1280x1024 game rez and tries to stretch it to fit 3840x1024 on a single monitor. It's bizarre!

This is the weird part. You're right that the options menu lacks a aspect ratio option but it seems to adjust itself automatically in my game. 1680x1050 comes out naturally out of the box, but my 8600GTS is weird and I had to make a custom resolution for 1280x800. I've seen some screenshots on this forum where people are getting 16:9 modes in 5:3 res, resulting in squished screens, hahaha. That's hilarious. But seriously, I have no idea. Actually, ProStreet is one of the better EA games this time around. Hasn't crashed once for me, and widescreen is surprisingly flawless.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 01:20 

Thanks Raven. I don't know what the deal is with this game. Maybe it is the 169.04 drivers and some kind of oddness with them and this game?? I don't have any issues with any other games doing this or crashing on me so I have to assume that it is the game. It sure would be nice to have this baby running in triplehead mode though, although even on my rig at 1280x1024 with settings all maxed the game doesn't run all that stellar. It's smooth and all but it's not like glass. Doubtful that it would run smoothly at 3840x1024 based on what I see at 1280x1024. I have been seriously pondering the idea of buying a lower end 24" monitor for these poorly coded games that have no comprehension of WS or triplehead support. Playing on a single 17" postage stamp monitor is for the birds! I have been spoiled by triplehead ;)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2007, 07:11 

I'm currently using 163.75 WHQL Nov/6/07.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_163.75.html

Give it a go, see if it works.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2007, 19:01 
Editors
Editors

You can get TripleHead with the demo ... BUT ... it is very odd though and I haven't compared it to single screen so I'm not sure if the FOV is right ...

Using this res changer here ... http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/6795#comment-141791
As I say it is very odd ...
The game is displayed at 3840x1024 but the 3D world seems to be 1280x1024 kinda upscaled to 3840x1024 or something ...
Maybe 1920x480 or even 2400x600 but NOT 3840x1024 which it is set to and the size of the screenshots ... :?

These shots are using 4xAA ... as you can see the HUD seems OK but the 3D world is very pixelated.
Click to see full size ...