Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 15 Jul 2024, 08:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 00:32 

Well I don't know how well it will play with IWnet. It uses the same method that I used for CoD4 and CoD5, which PB doesn't detect. And from my experience, PB is better than any other anti-cheat solution online. So if PB doesn't pick it up, there's a pretty good chance that IWnet/VAC won't do any better. This is, of course, speculation, so it's still up to you if you want to risk it.

I'll look into getting in contact with IW and Valve and see about some kind of approval/test.

I'll try and elaborate on how it works and why I feel safe with it.

Most anti-cheat systems work by scanning specific ranges or items in memory. They look at cvars and settings and such. The main way they handle this is locked/unlocked values, but not specific values.

For example, a locked value might be a cvar setting for grass. The anti-cheat system will expect that value to be on. If anything modifies that value, it will trigger a kick/ban.

An unlocked value is something that gets freely modified by the game or user. There's no way that the anti-cheat system can know what a valid or invalid setting for it might be, so they don't scan it. An example of this would be the resolution of the game. The anti-cheat system is not going to scan that setting because it could be anything, and it would take too many resources to check for valid values constantly.

Another good example of an unlocked value is the aspect-ratio and HUD position. These aren't checked for specific reasons. The aspect-ratio isn't checked because it can be set by the user. The default choices may be limited, but it's a value that can be different per user. The HUD position isn't checked because the position itself changes based on the resolution of the game.

In other words, the values I edit should be fine. I make no modifications to the memory layout itself or anything that should bring on a violation. I simply read from a few addresses in memory and write to a few addresses in memory, overwriting a variable that gets freely modified by the client anyway.

Anyway, if it were PB, I'd feel safe telling people to run it, but I really have no experience with IWnet or VAC or whatever the anti-cheat system is actually called. I feel pretty confident that it won't trigger anything, but there's really no way to be certain for sure.

ok, the first time i have read your post, i have just understand the method of scanning... thanks to google translation for precision about your method.

modifying memory is something that i can't do. and found values to change is also too hard for me.

well... i'll stop my video project.

but really thanks to you dopfish for your widescreen fixer! widescreengaming community needs guys like you !

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 00:34 
Insiders
Insiders

You'd think that with all this patching, they'd pull their heads out of their asses and address this issue.... I guess ignoring PC community must be a IW requisite now.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 01:14 
Insiders
Insiders

cheers dude, are you enjoying the game BTW: :)

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 01:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Indeed. I like it a lot more than MW1.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 04:25 

hey dopefish, do u know which one i select for spec-ops? mp or sp?

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 12:22 

Dopefish you are the best. Thanks for your incredible work.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 17:41 

Can someone help me out here please?

I installed the latest version, Hotkey seems to be working but when I run MW2 MP I don't see any difference :(

The default FOV of this game (MW2) is killing me .

I'm running 1 monitor @ 1920x1080 (16:9) and Win 7-64bit

Is there anything special I need to do to make widescreenfixer to work for MW2 MP besides activating the hotkey?

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 17:59 
Editors
Editors

This is an Aspect Ratio fix for Multi-monitor gaming ... hence the section it's in.
A temporary FOV fix for SP can be found over here. You may be screwed for MP though.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 17:59 

Oops! Thanks mate... :D

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2009, 23:45 
Editors
Editors

Hehe finally got my copy, great game to play on TH (and with the correct AR :wink: ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next