Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Jul 2024, 12:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 19:14 

Some of the users don't get it and are posting as if their opinion is that it is working correctly. They don't understand how Vert- works and they're acting like it is my system.

The game renders vert- as we have seen so many times. FAIL! Please some people back me up as NCsoft will see this and think I have a user end issue.

Thanks everyone

-Logan

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 22:58 

link?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 12:33 
Administrators
Administrators

Hey, I could use as much support or signs or other people giving there opinion in this thread as possible.

http://uk.aiononline.com/forums/bug/view?articleID=872&category=101¬ice_category=101

Its on the UK site so people from the US might not be able to post in it, if that's the case I suggest starting one in US forums. http://www.aiononline.com is NCSoft's official website for the game and is directly linked into the games database (thats where all the stats come from) so if we can get an answer / fix anywhere its by getting there attention there.

It would also be useful to get as many other people as possible to support fixing it, there more likely to do something if there are allot of people with this issue.

(I know I copy pasted this from another thread but its reliant to here as well.)

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 20:25 

Guild Wars (another NCSoft game) has the same issue.

The reasoning (as I understand it) is that allowing a wider FOV would give some players an unfair advantage in PvP. Since Aion (from what I've read) is mainly PvP they've stuck to this idea there too.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 20:35 

Shh, don't tell them that having a higher resolution like 1600x1200 over 1024x768 gives you an advantage at seeing things in the distance, otherwise they'll force everyone to 640x480.

We don't allow because it allows cheating in pvp. Is the same old excuse all online game makers use over and over again.

Yet they've never shown any proof of it being even remotely true. Probably because no matter what slight advantage they might give, in the end, how good a player is makes more difference.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 20:59 

Shh, don't tell them that having a higher resolution like 1600x1200 over 1024x768 gives you an advantage at seeing things in the distance, otherwise they'll force everyone to 640x480.
:shock: That's a scary thought! - though view distance is probably also locked (I don't have Aion so I'm guessing)

I can see some (small) truth in their logic but I agree with you when you say:
... no matter what slight advantage they might give, in the end, how good a player is makes more difference.

There are also a ton of other ways to gain an advantage in any game - like having no life outside of it - so you can practice while others ... :lol:
-shrug- there's another reason I don't play PvP
In the end it all comes down to natural talent and how you spend your resources (time & money) anyway.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 23:31 
Insiders
Insiders

We don't allow because it allows cheating in pvp. Is the same old excuse all online game makers use over and over again.

Yet they've never shown any proof of it being even remotely true. Probably because no matter what slight advantage they might give, in the end, how good a player is makes more difference.

Yep, I've played competitively in TF2 and L4D and once you're that good having 140 FOV vs 90 FOV is a very minor advantage at best. Most of the real issues will be team coordination not seeing more/less on your screen (that is why you can rotate the camera with a high sensitivity!).

Otherwise they should just disallow people for using larger monitors too, since that gives them a benefit while sniping :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 09:12 

Someone really wanting to cheat could do so no matter what protection they put in, no matter what software detection they want, no matter what, a way always exists.

Even if all else fails and you take a micro-controller, some motors and cameras, mix and turn up an external aimbot that simply can't be detected.

Heck, just mod the graphics drivers to allow see-through walls, no textures, no smoke, whatever you want to give you an edge.

I remember seeing 'competitive' quake 3 players. Their video settings were so altered to 'help them get that extra frag' that the game was unwatchable, it was too bright, washed out and textures were small and almost unrecognizable.

My observations have lead me to think anyone that enjoys pvp simply enjoys being an a(censored) and no matter what advantage or not they have, in the end, it's all the same.

It's a bit like removing drugs from the olympics, you could do the opposite and allow everything, and in the end, it wouldn't make matters worse, just funnier.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 09:53 
Administrators
Administrators

Someone really wanting to cheat could do so no matter what protection they put in, no matter what software detection they want, no matter what, a way always exists.

Even if all else fails and you take a micro-controller, some motors and cameras, mix and turn up an external aimbot that simply can't be detected.

Heck, just mod the graphics drivers to allow see-through walls, no textures, no smoke, whatever you want to give you an edge.

I remember seeing 'competitive' quake 3 players. Their video settings were so altered to 'help them get that extra frag' that the game was unwatchable, it was too bright, washed out and textures were small and almost unrecognizable.

My observations have lead me to think anyone that enjoys pvp simply enjoys being an a(censored) and no matter what advantage or not they have, in the end, it's all the same.

It's a bit like removing drugs from the olympics, you could do the opposite and allow everything, and in the end, it wouldn't make matters worse, just funnier.

I went up against someone like that once in a competitive UT3 tournament, my first opponent used basic screen settings and I think the gamma was up, he beat me something like 40 to 0. In my defence he was seeded 1st and went on to win the tournament and I hadn't played competitive before, still not a good start to my first competitive match ^^

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 09:33 
Editors
Editors

Extra FOV = Competitive Edge is hogwash and we all know it.

A bit of extra FOV across 3 monitors is a minor gain, but a vert- across all 3 screens is a pretty big loss because you lose a lot of view on your center screen and still only have limited view of the side monitors that are only showing you part of what a single screen should.

There are many games that totally revolve around competition like Counter Strike and it allows FOV changes.

Thats one thing to toss into the argument, another is the fact there are sooo many ways to gain an edge via hardware.

Better keyboard, better mouse, better computer, better internet connection, so the whole point of hardware should be dropped. Anybody so cut & dry about hardware differences should be playing a console. Computers are all about being about to do it your way.

Have the monitors you want, build the computer you want, use the keyboard you like. So if you have the hardware you want, now its time to supplement it with the software you want, and that would be a game that properly supports your hardware.

Voice your opinions and if they are not heard make the choice yourself if you will deal with it or simply not buy there game and get another one instead. I am hearing Aion is not doing so well anyways.

If any genre of game should be default to support extra FOV and multi monitor it would be MMO to me, WoW really did a good job with starting the fame of 3x monitors in my opinion. Infact it was the first real thing that tempted me to get 3x monitors when I saw those awesome world of warcraft surround pictures.

I can comfortably say after investing so much into a nice system with 3 monitors, I would not get a MMO that did not support it unless it was just absolutely the best game ever and I could not live without it, reason being most people do not just casually play a MMO, you dedicate a lot of time to it and usually pay a monthly fee. If its going to be your main game and main use of your system it needs to be a game that works properly on your system.

I could handle a single play game not working on all 3 monitors like say Crysis (yes I know it does just an example) play it for a week and beat it and then put it away or sell it.