Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 12:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 12:18 

What are all the fighter pilot games, that are based on modern planes and they support Surround gaming?

So far I've playing HAWX, but it feels a bit too arcade to me. And it should be ~5 years old at maximum.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2010, 16:53 

Well basically there is Lock On:Flaming cliffs 2 the Stike Fighter series and DSC Black shark if you like Helicopters..

Flaming Cliffs 2 has the A-10, F-15c, MiG-29, Su-33, Su-27, Su-25t

F-15c in FC2:

By the_nephilim at 2010-09-05

you can see the full list of supported games here in the Flight sim zone:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/surroundgaming/en/games/zone/flightsim/

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2010, 23:44 

Thanks for that Matrox list.

Strike Fighters series got me interested, but is it too complex(?). Though I used to play games like F-15 Strike Eagle II on my 286 with half of the keyboard in use. :)

What would be good mix of arcade and simulation?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2010, 20:08 

Stike Fighters will probally be good for what you want..But Lock On is a little more advanced but NOT much still easy to fly..

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 20:02 

I wonder if HAWX 2 is going to be any good?

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2010, 02:49 

I wouldnt hold My Breath .. ;)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2010, 12:45 

Though not really an arcade game or indeed a dedicated flight sim game, ArmA 2 and its expansions do have vehicles including Planes and helicopters (tanks , trucks ,jeeps etc too) .
You dont need to play the main game to get at them, in singleplayer go to the armoury and pick what you want, though you do need to unlock stuff by doing challenges this way. You can I think just edit the file to unlock everything if you dont want to do the challenges, but i do find them okay.

The flight model is slightly more sim than arcade, and there are buttons for eveything, too many imho, but you can use joystcks, throttles, rudders , track-ir etc.

I think there are mods for different vehicles, but I haven't looked into this myself.

I'll include a review as this isnt to everyones cup of tea.
http://pcformat.techradar.com/community/paul-eden/arma-ii-operation-arrowhead-review-24-09-10
And heres a short video I made whilst in the armoury, you can see the challenges come up on the right if short, or in the main window (end of vid) if large. You can also turn the challenges off completely and just fly ( or whatever you are doing ) if you dont want the interruptions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfCrjz9jLF4

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2010, 22:01 

I'm a prop head myself (IL2:1946). I don't think there is anything between Strike Fighters and Hawx in complexity. Arma2 might indeed be an option, but don't expect a flight model or much throttle control beyond power-coast-brake.