Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 02:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2010, 21:35 

I've got an IZ3D monitor (3d), however with the release of eyinfinity I have been tempted by the multi-monitor setup for additional immersion. I am not willing to give up 3d for it though. So I have been thinking of various options.

3 monitor setups are problematic given the graphic demands of three high res screens - double that if they were all running 3d. ATI curently doesn't have drivers for shuttr glasses and nVidia will require at least two cards in SLI for 3d surround.

I have a water blocked ATI 4870x2 that still blazes so I am not excited about upgrading to a 5000 series ( and another $600 investment).

Two monitors have the bezel issue, so here is what I m thinking -

Keep my current gpu and purchase 2 dlp 3d capable projectors, either the Acer H5360 or Optoma HD66. I'd probably look at building a custom screen that has a gentle curve and is maybe 6 feet wide by 20 inches tall. Resolution would be 2560 by 720. Not as much vertical FOV as preferred but this would provide an otherwise big screen 3d view.

I guess my main concerns center around drivers - anyone know if you can ensure two projectors are synched to the same refresh rate so the
shutter glasses would work? Also would I need to purchase a dual head to go to have two projectors span for the same game? If so it might just make more sense to sell the 4870 x2 and upgrade to the 5970 after
all. Does anyone here run a similar setup?

Oh yeah, even though ATI doesn't have their own shutter glass support yet, it sounds like bit cauldron and some others will have ATI compatible hardware in the next 4-5 months.

Alright, hope that wasn't too rambling....

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 02:48 

prob better asked at a 3d stereo gaming forums (mtbs3d)
sounds do-able i reckon though, I do remember a few fellas who used the TH2G with success with DLP pj's in stereo.
all the best

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 13:45 

The screen should not be curved for optimal image, rather simply twice the width you need for a single monitor.

An advantage over monitors is that with carful positioning of the 2 projectors, you should effectivly have no gap between the 2 images where they meet on the screen as you have no bevels to deal with.
but i've limited experience with 3d so cant advise you further

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200