Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 10:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007, 18:33 
Editors
Editors

What advantages? From what I hear Vista isn't any better for games than XP. Check out this Gamespot article, from those comparison images I see a at best minimal improvement in eye candy and a significant reduction in frames per second.
Exactly.

Oh ... and I added Crysis to the title.

Here is a link to some good comparison shots ... DX10 v DX9 ... http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6182140/index.html?tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

also ... maybe a DX10 effect we haven't seen yet ... http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335211114&postcount=793

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 00:06 

With all the news fuss about dx10 not being all that thanks to that crysis demo hack it seems many possibilities are left out of the spotlight by most.
- the developpers didn't do much dx10 stuff to begin with (farcry's 64bit advantage or lack thereof anyone?)
- dx10 is -not- only about the eye candy
- I'm pretty sure many 'dx9-only' or 'dx10-only' effects could be reproduced even back in dx7 or heck, in open gl, more work sure, impossible? hardly, same as to why deus ex in an 'older/inferior' engine beats the (censored) out of many recent games. Especially once you add-in user-made textures upgrades.

here's an easy example to remember:

take UT3 engine, input scene with 2 4 face rectangular tubes in a T shape

take quake1 engine, input scene with imported UT2004's robot boss model (name's escaping me atm)

compare renders and claim quake1 wins the eye candy prize:
true fact in those settings, yet lacks a major part of the overall picture.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2007, 16:28 

As a former game developer, this reminds me of our hassle with the releases and the many people working on the files and versions.... If one hasn't ever experienced such a situation, he won't know what I'm talking about ...

A project as huge as this, this comes as no surprise to me .... it gets even worse when deadlines are missed and everyone is in a hurry, a lot worse ... :lol: