Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 21:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2007, 21:58 

Well here goes,

This is my first contribution to the surround gaming community and its a four year old game.. ah well.

Inspired by the Freelancer widescreen solution in the other forum thread, I've been messing about with various ini files until I came up with the correct FOV for triplehead mode. BUT, the damn txt's were all over the place, illegible and made it unplayable. Not to mention separate FOV's required depending on whether or not your in flight or on base....!!! Grrr. So here's the solution below in easy to follow steps. Please make backups of all files to be altered as normal!!!

1. Open the file 'PerfOptions' under My DocumentsFreelancer and under the [display] sub-heading change the 'size=' variable to 3840, 1024 (note there is a space after the comma). Save and close this file.

2. Open the file 'Cameras' under c:whicheverFreelancerData. Under the [wincamera] sub-heading change the value 'fovx =' to 113 (This makes sure the menu items when docked are visible on screen - any higher number and they start to disappear - believe I've tried).
Under the sub-heading [CockpitCamera] change the value of 'fovx =' to 130, and then change the values for 'fovx =' under the other two sub-headings to 130 as well. (These should be [ChaseCamera] and (DeathCamera]). Save and close this file.

3.Open the file 'fonts' under c:whicheverFreelancerdataFonts. Under each sub-heading change all 'fixed_height =' values to 0.010000. Thats right - all of 'em. These values determine the size of all ingame messages, text, goods prices, etc, etc. Without this step it's virtually impossible to play the game cos you can't read a damn thing. Save and close this file.

4. Optional (but recommended). In the ingame options disable being able to see the cockpit frame, as over triple screen I find it too distracting. and always use CTRL +V to change to the in-cockipt view otherwise the default behind-the-cockpit view looks a little screwy and too close up.

5. When the game is first launched and you are presented with the main menu, it appears you can't click 'start new game' because its almost off screen right at the top. if you move your mouse to the top of the screen right above 'load game' and left click, it will start a new game - promise. After this, all menus work flawlessly!

5. Play the game in glorious surround-o-rama!!

6. A cautionary tale. The cut scenes work but are a little squashed. As soon a cutscene is finished whether on land or in space, the correct fov is assumed and you will see the screen alter immediately - all seamless of course. I think the non flight parts are still cut-off at the top and bottom, however it has no effect on who or what you can select when playing these sections of the game. The inflight stuff however is perfect fov, aspect ratio, etc. (At least i think it is unless someone can prove me wrong?).....

7. Hopefully someone other than myself will benefit from this little guide and now at least I feel I've made a contribution to this wonderful community!! Cheers...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 07:37 
Editors
Editors

Great stuff ... 8)

Any chance of some screenshots from the same place in the game ... before and after the fix ... in-flight and on base ?

Thanks ....

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 18:45 

Of Course! Sorry Paddy. I haven't got any standard resolution shots because like an idiot I accidentally deleted the original ini files (Nice one cyril). It would mean having to re-install the game unles someone is willing to send me the files I altered so I can screenie from them...

Anyway here's the triple screen shots...

Hope they look ok.....

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2007, 20:52 

thx for this.....

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 00:40 

The gfx look a little bit old but nevertheless great work!

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 08:32 
Editors
Editors

Yeah ... great stuff ... khula ... shame about that 4:3 shot hopefully someone else will supply it.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 20:55 

Yeah ... great stuff ... khula ... shame about that 4:3 shot hopefully someone else will supply it.

Oh yes.. I learnt a strict lesson with this... Backup the damn files before you start altering them!

I plan on re-installing this game soon (after I decide to install vista or not).
I'll post before and after shots then.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2007, 20:59 
Editors
Editors

Thanks mate ... 8)

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2007, 04:09 

Cool! - I beta tested Freelancer, and played the crap out of it after release (jolt uk server ftw!)

I might have to dig out my cd and reinstall for this...