Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TH2G vs Windowed Mode
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 17:59 

What is the difference between running games in Windowed mode, and changing the window size to stretch across multiple monitor, vs spending money on the TH2G?

I have a dell 24 inch, and 2 19 inches, and trying to decide between 2 more dells and a TH2G, investing in a DPL projector and screen, or just saving the money.

Have already tried the windowed mode with Oblivion, and the general experience is decent. With surrounding gaming, is the phepherial images supposed to look stretched? at 4480 *1200, what should be the correct FOV in oblivion?

Thanks.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007, 21:23 

TH2Go is actually a connector to connect 3 screens to a single graphics card to make the card believe there is only one screen, nothing more and nothing less. Not sure about your setup, do you have all 3 of your screens connected, and if how?

On the other hand, max. resolution on TH2Go is 3840x1024 (AFAIK), dunno if that looks good on 3 24" screens ... most people I see use 19" which have a native res of 1280x1024, so you can run all screens in native.

No idea about Oblivion, I got it with my new 8800gts but have not installed it. However if a games looks stretched or not depends on the game. As of my experience every game is different. Best handling of triple screen res I have seen so far is in GRAW. In other games it is often like actually looking through a letterbox seeing only the muzzle in FPS and such.

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2007, 19:16 

Generally, just windowing a game a stretching onto screens that are driven by more than one video card results in a massive framerate slowdown because the cards need to be synced and there is nothing in Windows or DirectX that tells them how to do this efficiently.