Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fat internet pictures
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007, 14:01 

Thanks for the responses, everything is cleared up now. Though I may be better living in ignorance than constantly attempting to notice the stretching :wink: .

Matrox seems all proud of their widescreen support, so it is dissapointing to learn that it's half-baked.

I'll set up the direct connection on the middle monitor so I can switch between triple head mode and single monitor mode. However, the stretching doesn't bother me much and I may not use single monitor very often.

In another thread it was mentioned that I could setup a hotkey to switch between these two modes. If that works both in and out of games, I think I'll be pretty satisfied... those conversations in Jade Empire are driving me nuts.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2007, 16:15 

OK so I hooked my middle monitor to the digital output of my 7800GS, and then hooked up the TH2Go to the analog output. The TH2Go has all three monitors connected to it.

So if I really want 1680x1050, I can switch my middle monitor to its digital input. The two side monitors remain being the side monitors in a 3840x1024 configuration, with the middle monitor invisible. Kinda weird but I could easily have webpages/faq/whatever running there.

I thought I could switch the TH2Go to DualHead 3360x1050 mode and then get 1680x1050 on every monitor, but for some reason when I try to switch to 3360x1050 it says it isn't supported. I haven't a clue what is wrong there, because it sure is supposed to be supported!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 13:22 

...Matrox seems all proud of their widescreen support, so it is dissapointing to learn that it's half-baked...

In all fairness to Matrox, they have always clearly stated and pointed out that the widescreen support has been in addition to the native design, i.e. the primary resolution is 3 x 1280 x 1024.

I would assume that anyone who buys a TH2Go for use on three widescreen monitors would be fully aware of the output capabilites and limitations when viewing on such aspect monitors.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 15:47 

I would assume that anyone who buys a TH2Go for use on three widescreen monitors would be fully aware of the output capabilites and limitations when viewing on such aspect monitors.
If you look at how many times Paddy, myself, and others take the time to explain that the TripleHead2Go does not offer a true 3x16:10 resolution, and then explain the effects that this has, I think your assumption is incorrect. :)

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 20:32 

To summarize, the internet picture thing is solved.

I simply hook the other cable from my middle monitor into the free output on my graphics card. If I want a true, nonstretched image I can turn on that display. This is fine.

In games, especially Everquest 2 that I've played the most since getting this setup, I cannot tell there is stretching, and the HUGE wideness is immersing and fun!

I'd say there are enough people who own stuff (like sailboats, sports cars, Blackberries) who haven't figured out how to use them yet to disprove that theory. So I didn't know the difference between 16:9 and 16:10, the marketing copy didn't indicate there was anything to know. I made the monitor purchasing decision based on Matrox's FAQ:

"Do I need a special brand of monitor?
TripleHead2Go can be hooked up to any monitor, including flat panel monitors. To take full advantage of TripleHead2Go, we recommend you use three identical monitors (that is, monitors that support the same monitor settings such as monitor resolution and refresh rate)."

So I simply went looking for less than 8ms response time, small bezels, and around $200-$250 per monitor.

I tried asking on other forums for suggestions but they were mostly answers from people who didn't own TH2Gos and didn't have anything helpful to say.

Matrox's fault that I have a little inconsequential stretching? No.
The responsibility rests on me, I could have done more research, but they could help people like me who assumed that all there was to monitors was hooking them up by making clearer suggestions in their marketing material.

OK, enough time spent justifying myself. Time to play some more games, I gotta finish Infernal (nice graphics, dumb game).

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2007, 20:42 
Editors
Editors

... (nice graphics, dumb game).
... and no widescreen or TH FOV support ... :(

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 20:20 

Have you tried this update which offers 3840 x 720 (triple 1280 x 720) and 3840 x 768 (triple 1280 x 768) widescreen modes (among others)???

Matrox TripleHead2Go Mode Expander Tool
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/gxm/support/th2go/tmet.php

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2007, 21:22 
Editors
Editors

diehardDanny ... read the thread ... :wink: