Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Aug 2024, 19:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2015, 06:02 

Greetings,

This is my first post. I've been reading on here for a while - many different posts - but couldn't find one that fully answers my issue:

I have an LG 32LN5300 TV as my main monitor and am looking for appropriate side monitors for a PLP setup. I found a deal for some 24" Samsung SA450's, but they are 1900x1200 (16:10). I've tried looking over a variety of resources online for a few days now, but can verify how close or how horribly off this kind of setup would be... I've looked at http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Good_PLP_Monitor_Setups (which is awesome) but it doesn't have my particular situation/consideration.

After measuring the WxH of these 24" monitors, I understand the "H" look and am OK with that, as long as they would line up well in the end. OR, is it just a major no-no to mix 16:9 with 16:10? I still have the option to go with different/smaller 16:9 monitors, I was just pleased with the deal I had found - so if 20, 21 or 22" portrait monitors will line up better PPI-wise, then I would go for that instead.

In case it matters, I'm running an i7 4790K w/ 16 GB RAM, SSD's, on a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with an older Nvidia SLI setup which I'll be updating to a GTX 960 (probably go with 4GB - yes I understand the 128-bit bus thing, but unless the 970's $$$ come down, this is probably how i'm gonna go...).

Thank you so much for your answers and insight. I've enjoyed reading some great posts/answers on here.

Xak

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 06:38 
Insiders
Insiders

Xak, I will look into it & get back to you. Strong chance we will find good PLP sides to match your center. Please confirm for me that your center is 31.5" when you actually measure it diagonally.

I'm glad you brought this up, the 31.5" 1920x1080 as center was missed during testing (because it's uncommon). Re your not finding suitable layout on PLP gaming wiki: the monitor section is not yet complete. Still some layouts to add, plus Notes overhaul shortly.

Oh & 16:10 sides work just fine with 16:9 center. It makes a great PLP view. It's a question of whether or not pixels line up (& aspect does not matter for this).

PS you should switch camps. If your intention is PLP & to buy a new card... why would you buy NVIDIA when AMD now supports PLP? E.g. R9 Fury X. It is so much easier to spread games with proper support. We finally have received it, & you are refusing it?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 09:37 
Insiders
Insiders

Xak, I would understand if you were in a hurry. So will tell you best overall matches to buy now. Details & links I will post later.

Please still confirm with me your center's actual size. But these matches are safe to purchase, no need to wait for my reply.

Do not buy 24" you are eyeing, won't line up.
There are 3 good matches for your center. Summarized below.

Sides: 22" 1680x1050 (16:10), & drop the sides' resolutions to 1280x800 (16:10).
- Layout's sides have ~3" of hang past center, which is good for Manual PLP (H-shape only available with new Eyefinity PLP).
- Layout gives medium width sides.
- 3,801,600 final gaming pixels
- My recommendation, but do whatever you want

Sides: 26" 1920x1080 (16:9), & drop the sides' resolution to 1600x900 (16:9).
- Layout's sides have ~7" total hang past center, which will not work well for Manual PLP (Eyefinity PLP basically required).
- Layout gives semi-fat width sides.
- This layout is the closest PPI match (if your center is 31.5"), meaning that monitors will be the most perfectly lined-up physically. This is important to some people, I personally don't care, so long as layout image is PERCEIVED to line up perfectly once monitors positioned.
- 4,017,600 final gaming pixels

This one is special, in that PPI variance is fairly high, allowing you to hide center's bezels. I don't recommend you get this as your first PLP layout. It could be considered an acquired taste, & sometimes doesn't work out 100% perfect. But hiding a bezel is very cool. Pixels line up, once monitors positioned. Again, not recommending. But do what you want.
* Do not use this if your center is actually 32" when measured.
- Sides: 25" 1920x1080 (16:9) or 2560:1440, & drop the sides' resolution to 1600x900 (16:9)
- Layout's sides have ~6.15" total hang past center, which will not work well for Manual PLP (Eyefinity PLP basically required).
- Layout gives semi-fat width sides.
- 4,017,600 final gaming pixels

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2015, 20:48 
Insiders
Insiders

Couple more suggestions. Ignore as needed

GRAPHICS CARD RECOMMEND.
- AMD cards tested working that offer native PLP support ATM are R9 285, Fury X.
- some other very fresh/releasing PLP cards, being tracked here: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29079
- If you hold off a bit on new card purchase, more PLP card choices will become known.
- R9 285 will work fairly well for your new PLP resolution. But heavy games won't max.
- R9 Fury X is overkill for your resolution, & not cheap. But would max heavy games, high FPS, & somewhat future-proof.
- R9 380 may be the most well-suited choice for your new PLP resolution, if you're not a perfectionist. Bit stronger than R9 285. Still won't max some games, but it's about right, middle-ground.
- R9 380 is not yet tested working for Eyefinity PLP, but strong chance it will work (although may need to wait for driver update)

SIDE MONITORS & MOUNT, CHEAP.
- This is about priorities, & how to free up more cash for new graphics card & games.
- If you want to save the most money in an area of the least perceived value, get the 22" sides choice. Then buy them used, cheap, local (no shipping). Imperfections are generally of minimal consequence for PLP side monitors (e.g. scratch or bezel color not quite matching). Single-screen users commonly off-load small sizes like this for an upgrade. E.g. $180 newegg, $75 used local (latter I found with little difficulty, complete with VESA compatible rear. $75 seems high also, could haggle pretty easy to $50. These people want rid of monitor, as it's considered junk to them).
- You should hunt down sides that are VESA-compatible on rear. This way mounting is far easier. Ideally comes with mount rotation (for portrait use), but not required:
- To mount them portrait, you may need to hunt down VESA stands, & may need to slightly mod where VESA connects to fit your cheap side monitors. You can use stands off cheaper, smaller sides. This may mean buying additional extremely cheap used monitors, purely to reuse their VESA stands (& chuck monitor). In the end, still much cheaper than buying sides new. And result is basically the same, if you aren't perfectionist.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 03:51 

Thanks for reply imusrt! I'm reading your stuff now and will get back to you. And yes, 31.5" viewable/diag.

EDIT: Hmmm, much to think about...still researching some ideas. I coooouuuuld do AMD. I've been using nvidia for a very very long time. Last time i tried x2 monitors with AMD (quite a while back) i didn't enjoy the drivers/UI. But perhaps times have changed? I will read the write up you suggested. THANKS very much for you time in answering these questions. I hope to check back in with you tomorrow.

Xak

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2015, 10:14 
Insiders
Insiders

You should disregard layout option #3. Its PPI variance is really too much of a gamble for a new PLP user. Because of this, #3 choice will not be listed on wiki, unless maybe in a new Gamblers section. I personally like these kinds of layouts. They are interesting & have potential to look great. I also like the whole reasonable-gamble adventure, but it's not a safe choice.

You should also disregard choice #2 if you are not buying AMD PLP card (hang is too long for manual PLP).

#1 will work well no matter what card you use. Flexible.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2015, 19:13 

OK, I went with the 22" option and ordered x2 ASUS VW22AT-CSM Black 22" 5ms Widescreen 16:10. I'm gonna have to get arm mounts for them, but that's ok. Now I'll have to decide about the GPU. I've been reading a variety of things. I feel stuck, many seem to argue that one of the biggest/most significant differences between AMD and nVidia is the driver "quality." Is SoftTH not reliable? I haven't had to use it yet. The most recent game i'm running is SWTOR. Other than that I do flight and space sims. So I'm still weighing options for GPU. More specifics are welcome to help me decide one over the other.

Thanks again for you tremendous help imusrt!

Xak

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2015, 09:48 
Insiders
Insiders

You are welcome. I finally updated wiki's PLP layouts, now there are tons (you can also search by monitor now). Here are your layout "groups" if interest:

From suggestion 1:
~21to22-31.5-~21to22 (here you will find your 22-31.5-22 layout)
http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Li ... 0x800_ALT2

From suggestion 2:
26-~32-26
http://plp-gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Big_Li ... 00x900_ALT