Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 11:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ATI HD 5870, eyefinity
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 03:36 

Alright, so I've got 2 Dell 23's, and a Samsung 23 hooked up to an HD 5870.. The two dells have DVI and VGA inputs, so I've got those hooked into the two DVI spots on the card, using single-link cables. I have the Samsung running off the Displayport, with a Displayport to HDMI cable I got off Amazon.. The Samsung still won't run, without disabling one of the other two.

I was under the impression that the display port ran indepent of the two DVI's while one of those was linked to the HDMI..

Do I need to get dual-link cables on the DVI inputs, or something else?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 18:47 

Your displayport to HDMI adapter is the problem. You need an eyefinity approved dongle, and they usually run ~$75-100. You're probably trying to use a $20-30 passive DP -> HDMI/DVI adatper.

My eyefinity set-up using the same 5870 is 1x DVI 1x HDMI 1x DP. I'm using a $90 Accel Active DP->DVI adapter. Generally speaking, the active adapters require USB power.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2013, 23:25 

I run 2 HD 5850 Black cards, the only way to get them to work is to use 3 diferent ports. 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 Displayport-anykind of conetion, Most common DP conection is DVI but you can find HDMI ones as well.
Must be an "Active DisplayPort" like this http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=55482&vpn=DP-SL%20DVI%20Adapter&manufacture=PowerColor The pacaging will usealy have that same logo on it some where letting you know its Eyefinity capable, also make sure your not getting the Mini Version as yours is like mine and its a standered DP. Link is to the one I bought years back.