Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Sep 2024, 04:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 22:14 
Editors
Editors

Guys, tell me, please.Which of the technologies it supports more games - Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround?

They're about equal. Generally, if a game works in Surround, it'll work in EyeFinity (and vice versa)... some games work better in EyeFinity (Deus Ex Human Revolution) while others work better in Surround (The Witcher 2) so if either of those are important to you... choose accordingly.

Of course, while it's not idea, it's still possible to play games in a single monitor resolution. ;)

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2012, 22:14 
Editors
Editors

Guys, tell me, please.Which of the technologies it supports more games - Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround?

They're about equal. Generally, if a game works in Surround, it'll work in EyeFinity (and vice versa)... some games work better in EyeFinity (Deus Ex Human Revolution) while others work better in Surround (The Witcher 2) so if either of those are important to you... choose accordingly.

Of course, while it's not ideal, it's still possible to play games in a single monitor resolution. ;)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2012, 06:04 

The big thing for me is I use my 5970 with a u2711 (2560x1440) and 2 p2210 dell monitors (1680x1050). I play the games that are a little tough at eyefinity res on my u2711 screen and flight sims and certain other games at 5040x1050.

My 5970 can go in and out of eyefinity in about 5 seconds with the windows key + p shortcut. My u2711 will automatically switch to 1680x1050 and play perfectly with my other 2 monitors at 5040x1050.

Then when I go back to extended the u2711 goes right back to 2560x1440!

Also BM works perfect also!

The scalier on the u2711 works really well and I can barely tell the diff in res. Also when playing games you really cant tell the diff in the actual screen sizes.

I think I have the best of both worlds with the possibility of one large screen and then eyefinity very quickly.

The point of this is I do not think that nvidia will let you run diff res or size monitors in surround. Much less with bm working perfectly also.

On to the 7990 for me. I just hope it does not get cancelled because I could crossfire 7970's but I use a 250gts for physx. That works perfect also btw!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 09:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Tom's Hardware has published a second article on the 680 and one page in particular is interesting. So as you guys can see, if you overclock both cards so they run at similar speeds, they perform about equal in triple screen resolution. I would even say that the 7970 performs a little better. The 680 seemed to be overclocked to the max and 7970 could be pushed a little further (they couldn't get passed the CCC overclock limits, not even with Afterburner, big fail imo). Since the 7970 is a little more expensive as well, it seems very hard to crown a clear winner.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 09:52 
Editors
Editors

Tom's Hardware has published a second article on the 680 and one page in particular is interesting. So as you guys can see, if you overclock both cards so they run at similar speeds, they perform about equal in triple screen resolution. I would even say that the 7970 performs a little better. The 680 seemed to be overclocked to the max and 7970 could be pushed a little further (they couldn't get passed the CCC overclock limits, not even with Afterburner, big fail imo). Since the 7970 is a little more expensive as well, it seems very hard to crown a clear winner.

This is true, not the first instance I have seen it mentioned either.

If I recall correct the Nvidia GPU has something called GPU Boost or similar and its like an auto overclock feature. So while you have have stock clocks set in your control panel the gpu is raising those clocks in game on its own for a boost.

AMD however is keeping it's stock clocks all the way though.

So when you pit them against each other and you manually overclock you start to close the gap between the two. I do not know the full details on how the Nvidia GPU handles an overclock if it raises the boost limit or only the boost base and if that could/will lead to issues for stability on max overclock as well similar to how a cpu overclock would with intel turbo boost.

The price difference may end up being more of a determine factor than I originally though and while Nvidia is leading AMD is known to always be willing to have the cheaper product and with public eye seeing the GTX680 as the better GPU I feel that is even more incentive for them to not only meet but beat the GTX680 in price.

Post subject: For me the key deciding
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 21:32 

For me the key deciding factor was the amount of memory on the card. I went with the 7970 because I felt that the extra gigabyte of video memory was critical for my 7680 x 1600 resolution. I was upgrading from two 5870s with 1 Gig of memory on those, and an inability to even run some games due to it. So I didn't want to upgrade too little, in that respect, and find myself with a fast card that couldn't even run a game at the high settings.