Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Aug 2024, 12:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 12:15 

I've looked through several of the detailed game reports on this site, and those have helped a little. However, I am wondering if there's a short list of "best" games for a triple monitor setup?

While I have a fairly solid grasp of the "fisheye" effect I am looking for games that don't do this as severely, or aren't as noticeable.

So far I'm thinking of using EVE Online, Dirt 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I am also considering, but not sure about, Skyrim, Unreal Tournament 3, and Left 4 Dead. I'm looking for games to add to this list, or better alternatives.

Note that this isn't really to show off my setup, so much as it is to show that the new monitor I'm receiving as a gift has actual value in the games I'd play. So being able to show games that look most impressive and least distorted would be nice!

Thanks for any input!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 14:10 
Administrators
Administrators

You should check out some the bench mark games ibrin uses.

The likes of hawx 1&2 work really well, wings of prey looks and works great. need fir speed ties, the shift series was good fun.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 18:57 
Insiders
Insiders

My favorite Eyefinity games that work with little no trouble have been:

Grid
Dirt 2 and 3
Need for Speed Shift 1 and 2
Just Cause 2
Saints Row 3
Trine
Arkham Asylum
Metro 2033
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Crysis 1
Far Cry 2
Battlefield 3 (now that they've patched out the Eyefinity bugs)
Hawx 1
Wings of Prey

Skyrim really looks great in Eyefinity, but you'll need to get Hayden's latest fix from the Detailed Report to make the menus usable under Eyefinity. Fallout 3 and New Vegas also look great in Eyefinity, but have a few bugs that can be extremely annoying (mainly the pip-boy and computer screen text being very hard to read and scoped weapons not working well)

Unreal 3 engine games tend to have very poor Eyefinity support and usually require hacks to work properly. I wouldn't recommend using them to show how great Eyefinity is.

I can't really comment on L4D, it's not my bag.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 02:02 
Insiders
Insiders

If you're at all in to space combat sims, you should check out Freespace2Open at http://scp.indiegames.us/. I picked up Freespace 2 on www.GoG.com for cheap since I was a huge TIE Fighter junkie. Freespace2Open is a community-driven attempt to keep the game alive and kicking, since it's pretty much the last mission-based space combat sim on PC. It's a little old school in its presentation and takes some fiddling to get it working, but the community has kept it graphically up-to-date and continues releasing new stuff on a regular basis. Thanks to them, we've got triple-wide resolution support on a game released in 1999!

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 06:11 
Editors
Editors

I would try to break it out for 1 game of a few main genre.

Games that were so much better in multi monitor IMO.

> Dirt 2 (Racing)
> World of Warcraft (MMO)
> Dead Space (Shooter/Horror)

That distortion is normal if set to "proper" fov values and looks normal when your in-front of a monitor setup looking at the center.

Some games do span without the FOV fisheye like some racing sims.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 06:41 

Thanks for the replies. I like the suggestion to mix it up with regards to genres. I will probably go with

DiRT 2 (racing)
EVE (space MMO/flight)
Deus Ex: HR (Shooter)
and Dead Space (Horror Shooter)

I probably wouldn't have thought of Dead Space on my own. The other games such as Hawx and Amnesia are certainly going to be good to try as well, but on my own time :)

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 06:55 

My favorite surround games to show off are

*Skyrim
*Fallout: New Vegas
Wings of Prey
Batman: Arkham City
Red Orchestra 2
GRID
Dirt 3
Portal 2
Metro 2033
Black Prophecy

*Skyrim and New Vegas can have quite the fisheye effect in surround but it increases the immersion so much I simply would do without it and aside from sims i think they are the best showcase for surround. You can really minimize the intrusion with texture packs. I use NMC Texture Pack for New Vegas. I have a number of texture packs for Skyrim but the most useful texture replacements are for trees and mountains since they make up most of the scenery and are usually what gets zoomed in on with the fisheye effect. These are the best mountain textures for Skyrim in my opinion.

@Bifurk8 - Can you post some images of FS2 in surround?

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 07:30 
Administrators
Administrators

The likes of hawx 1&2 work really well, wings of prey looks and works great.

This and this ^^^

Both HAWX and Wings of Prey are stunning.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 07:58 
Editors
Editors

Yeah Dead Space & Dead Space 2 are both good.

It helps take away that really up close camera angle people do not like about it and since its such an environmental/immersion based game it helps you enjoy it even more than you could with just 1 screen.

DS1 needed a hack if I recall, DS2 works out of the box just the main menu is messed up (and I hear the final boss battle :(

Post subject: One of my buddies was
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2011, 13:53 
Insiders
Insiders

One of my buddies was completely unimpressed with Eyefinity until he played Wings of Prey on it. Neither of us are big in to flight sims, but it's really well implemented and offers both sim settings and arcade settings.

I'm just getting to work today but will see if I can grab some screens from Freespace2Open this evening. If I remember correct, I did have to use a different build than normal to get the HUD not to stretch in Eyefinity. I'll see if I can track down the details again.

H8Cr1me, do you have any performance issues in RedOrchestra under Eyefinity? I really wanted to get in to it but zooming in on a scoped rifle destroyed my framerate. I read it was because the scene is rendered twice when zoomed on a scoped rifle, once for your FOV around the scope and again for the view through the scope. Haven't gone back and tried it again after the last couple patches.