Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Aug 2024, 07:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Portal 2
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 07:28 
Insiders
Insiders

After playing with the crosshair for a while, i can now pin-point shots pretty well.

It's a damned funny game - moreso than the first. i think keep my roommate awake laughing at it.

Oh, some guy on the Steam forums has released a graphics mod. The only real benefit is added ambient occlusion, but he also added some other shader behaviour. Personally, i don't like the shaders, but SSAO is nice. OF course, the framerates take a hit.

I kn ewi recognized that voice - the voice of Cave Johnson the guy that played Shillinger on Oz. He also played J. Jonah Jameson on the Spiderman movies. But whenever i see him, i still think of him as and ass-raping Nazi.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 13:05 
Editors
Editors

In 1 player no cross-hair is doable, in co-op though its hard because there are more pin point shots to make in a split second and more stuff depending on timing.

somebody needs to make a crosshair overlay that will work with all games.

Thing how FRAPS has the FPS counter, and Mumble has the Voip overlay. These give you visual interfaces independant from the game and they work in triplewide.

If somebody just made a ultra simple crosshair program that centers itself that would be super awesome, esp if its easily user modible to put your own crosshair image.

Anybody here have the programing ability to do it? I can photoshop the crosshairs.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 16:31 

the FOV command doens't work... ya, i find it a bit tight, too. I
'll have to check it out some more later today.
I haven't played it yet, but try setting "sv_cheats" to '1' and see if the fov command works.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 16:52 
Administrators
Administrators

Don't even need to do that, in the options there is a control to enable the development console, if my memory serves me right.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:43 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm not sure they FOV is actually that low. It seems like it's at least 90-100 to me now that I've played a bit. It's just that the Portal-Gun model is so huge it makes it feel tighter than it is at first glance.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:10 
Insiders
Insiders

I hope you are all remembering to not turn your 'console' off when saving :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:15 

For some reason, I had to launch it with "-width 5040 -height 1050" to get it to run in surround. Else, it would start showing the Valve logo, and my computer would instantly lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. Tried it on regular 1920x1200 and it worked fine, back to 5040x1050 = total crash. Tried a few different driver versions with the exact same results before I used the command to force a resolution that got it to work.

I noticed the lack of a crosshair after half an hour or so, but not only don't I mind, I prefer it for the more cinematic feel. I've played enough games without crosshairs that I got pretty good at accurate aiming without one. Really love the game, have yet to try the Coop though, waiting for my buddy.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:18 
Administrators
Administrators

My video is up: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23336

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 15:03 

I only noticed the lack of crosshair when i looked at my mates screenshots on steam. Played fine without it tbh!

Also did anyone notice any performance hits when opening long viewed portals? Was a tad bit annoying, and in Co-op its almost unplayable for me, stutters like crazy at around 40fps.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2011, 16:37 

For some reason, I had to launch it with "-width 5040 -height 1050" to get it to run in surround. Else, it would start showing the Valve logo, and my computer would instantly lock-up, requiring a hard reboot. Tried it on regular 1920x1200 and it worked fine, back to 5040x1050 = total crash. Tried a few different driver versions with the exact same results before I used the command to force a resolution that got it to work.

I noticed the lack of a crosshair after half an hour or so, but not only don't I mind, I prefer it for the more cinematic feel. I've played enough games without crosshairs that I got pretty good at accurate aiming without one. Really love the game, have yet to try the Coop though, waiting for my buddy.

I had the same thing until I set the launch option, still on 266.58 btw. Also no cross-hair as people have noted. Once the launch option was set, I had a nice-long session. Now only if I could get it to work with 3d surround. :D