Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 20:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 18:24 
Administrators
Administrators

Why create a new list of certified games when we already have a system in place?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Game_Grades
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Category:Grade_A:_Certified
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Widescreen_Certification
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/WSGF_Certification_Requirements
including sorting by genre http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Category:Genre

In order to grade a game correctly we need to create a detailed report of the game with a number of screenshots taken at different resolutions, from this we can work out what the games grade/score and thus what its certification would be, this is the system we have in place, getting the wiki list of games updated to contain each of the DR's created on the otherhand has been lacking due to the requirement of having to manually enter the data into the wiki engine.

We are currently working on a new site and MGL which will be more automated, in terms of the MGL which will pull data directly form the DR's instead of a seperate wiki database that required constant updating, it has search functions and will be able to automaticly give a game a certification based on the grade/score of a game from data input by users when creating the DR.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 19:50 

Thank you so very much for your suggestion and really had there not been an existing structure to this list that would be a change well implemented. My structure stands even despite the fact that I like your idea, but I will at least consider it. I personally prefer my HUD on the outer monitors (action front and center) as I find my peripheral might perhaps be wider than average. Thats just a point for you to consider, perfect for me might not be perfect for you...

Right I understand that HUD options are going to be subjective, but it helps to at least categorize and differentiate. Some HUDs are clearly not optimal though as they partially hang out of bounds of the screen and are distorted due to stretching (killing floor is one example). I personally like a mix of center / side for the HUD, but that would be asking a lot. The only games that would do that are RPG / MMO type games (chat box on the side, HP/MP bars in the middle, etc.).

As for the WSGF system, I like it when I look up games but I think it's a little bit involved. I for one just want some clear cut basics when I want to know if a game works for eyefinity or not:
1) Is FOV Hor+
2) Is the menu / HUD usable

If those two are met, then the game is playable (or 100% compatible according to this list). If they aren't met, I want to know if I can fix it through editing or hacking. Some misc. notes would also help (i.e. The Witcher - in game FOV is Hor+ but cutscenes are broken or Nail'd - in game FOV is Hor+ but main menu is cut off. Can navigate with some guesswork). Everytime I play a game I spend about 30 seconds filling out the excel sheet I've been keeping track of. I actually go a little further in my list and keep tabs on how well xfire works. It helps me to put things in perspective in terms of compatibility. I think for something that simple, the very involved detailed report is a little daunting if I were to go out and make one for all the 60 games I've listed in my own personal list. I don't think a simple list should replace the detailed reports since the reports are useful for extra info, but rather as an additional resource.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:23 
Administrators
Administrators

The new MGL would list a lot of the properties of the games as a summary and have each title linked to its DR for further details.

The DR does not need to be 100% completed for anyone to be able to create one and enter some basic details that would start populating the table below.

Here is a shot of how this currently stands however I am still in the process of building and tweaking this to be more user friendly and informative.

I can respect that completing a full DR can potentially be a lil daunting mainly due to the many screenshots that help define the games grade.

There is however no reason why we cannot enter the .ini or patch fix information for a game in the DR form, this would keep all the data together, and anyone can then help to add more and more information to it as and when.

With a more user friendly, searchable and sortable display of the list it should help to ease some of the issues you raised Hydralisk_X.

It makes sense to keep to a single list/database of data than having 2 seperate lists, as such I would like to avoid creating a "quick and dirty DR" entry form, however if that would make entering data into the system more attractive then maybe it would be worth looking into.

| Gigabyte X79S-UP5-WiFi Skt2011 | i7 4820k @4.4GHz Watercooled (Ivy Bridge-E) | Corsair Vengence 32GB @2133MHz 11-11-11-27 2T Quad-Channel (8x4GB) | AMD R9-Fury-X 4GB @1140/505MHz + EKWB Watercooled | 256GB Crucial MX200 SSD | 8x 1TB Samsung F3 SATA-II | Corsair 850W TX PSU | 3x Dell S2209W 22"wide TFT's (5760x1080res) | Logitech Z-5400 5.1ch speakers | Win7 Ultimate x64 |

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:33 

including sorting by genre http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Category:Genre

Yeah, but what I'd like to see a Surround/Eyefinity compatible games by genre. Yeah, I know, I know... I'm lazy.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:36 

Here is a shot of how this currently stands however I am still in the process of building and tweaking this to be more user friendly and informative.

Liking the new look. Very nice. Are the columns sortable at all? (ie, click on a column and it sorts alphabetically by that column.) Not sure if that is even feasible or not.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 20:42 
Administrators
Administrators

Are the columns sortable at all? (ie, click on a column and it sorts alphabetically by that column.) Not sure if that is even feasible or not.

Not yet, but I had been working on a solution for that already prior to this thread. :onethumb

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 21:23 

Why create a new list of certified games when we already have a system in place?

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Game_Grades
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Category:Grade_A:_Certified
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/Widescreen_Certification
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/WSGF_Certification_Requirements

In order to grade a game correctly we need to create a detailed report of the game with a number of screenshots taken at different resolutions, from this we can work out what the games grade/score and thus what its certification would be, this is the system we have in place, getting the wiki list of games updated to contain each of the DR's created on the otherhand has been lacking due to the requirement of having to manually enter the data into the wiki engine.

We are currently working on a new site and MGL which will be more automated, in terms of the MGL which will pull data directly form the DR's instead of a seperate wiki database that required constant updating, it has search functions and will be able to automaticly give a game a certification based on the grade/score of a game from data input by users when creating the DR.

Only one big issue I see there, my list gets re-checked with every new driver release and Catalyst Application Profile release, which if you werent aware can break or fix games. Also if you werent replying to me then disregard, but if you were then surely you realize there is a difference between widescreen certification and eyefinity compatibility, hence the need for a more centralized list in my humble opinion... I do appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention though.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 21:25 

[quote]Are the columns sortable at all? (ie, click on a column and it sorts alphabetically by that column.) Not sure if that is even feasible or not.

Not yet, but I had been working on a solution for that already prior to this thread. :onethumb

Alright so if I understand correctly, your basically implying that my testing, and effort were for not and that I should remove my thread? Sorry but thats pretty messed up. I will oblige if I detect the necessity to do so, but way to set the standard there, "high-speed".

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 21:44 
Administrators
Administrators

Alright so if I understand correctly, your basically implying that my testing, and effort were for not and that I should remove my thread? Sorry but thats pretty messed up. I will oblige if I detect the necessity to do so.

I do not beleive you should remove the thread or that your testing was to no avail, the information is usefull and would do well to combine it with the data that we have already collected.

A lot of readers are familure with the existing rating system and we all see that there is some room for improvements, however the main issue I see is being able to manipulate that content to be much easier to view, which very much along the lines that you describe.

I am welsome to some suggestions or ideas regarding the new MGL as I would like to combine the information together so as we have a great pool of data for a game and a central place of viewing it.

EDIT:
I see you are fairly new according to join date and post count, so you may potentially not be aware that Ibrin, CJM and I have been working on this for a few months building on from The_Crany_Hermits original works.
I dont mean to dis you, I just wanted to you to know that some of us are on the ball in getting issues worked out and bringing in a new solution to replace the current, things like driver versions and notes can all be added, so if things like this is catered for in the system, would that not be an improvement. :)

I wish to work with you and hear your suggestions :)

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2011, 21:48 

[quote]Alright so if I understand correctly, your basically implying that my testing, and effort were for not and that I should remove my thread? Sorry but thats pretty messed up. I will oblige if I detect the necessity to do so.

I do not beleive you should remove the thread or that your testing was to no avail, the information is usefull and would do well to combine it with the data that we have already collected.

A lot of readers are familure with the existing rating system and we all see that there is some room for improvements, however the main issue I see is being able to manipulate that content to be much easier to view, which very much along the lines that you describe.

I am welsome to some suggestions or ideas regarding the new MGL as I would like to combine the information together so as we have a great pool of data for a game and a central place of viewing it.

EDIT:
I see you are fairly new according to join date and post count, so you may potentially not be aware that Ibrin, CJM and I have been working on this for a few months building on from The_Crany_Hermits original works.
I dont mean to dis you, I just wanted to you to know that some of us are on the ball in getting issues worked out and bringing in a new solution to replace the current, things like driver versions and notes can all be added, so if things like this is catered for in the system, would that not be an improvement. :)

I wish to work with you and hear your suggestions :)

I would be happy to contribute, so long as I am not deviating too far from my original goal, which is to provide my services more toward eyefinity/multimonitor gamers, in an easily accessible and functional way. I have already begun undertaking the task of translating all my results to a google doc spreadsheet so as to streamline the process and further simplify it's access and retention. I think we want the same thing though for the most part. I also maintain similar threads in other communities....

Multi-Monitor Spreadsheet