Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Sep 2024, 14:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 01:50 

Well I just built a new rig a week ago and I am able to run WoW at absolute max settings at 5877x1080 resolution.

my specs:
core i7-950 (stock)
SLI EVGA Superclocked GTX 470s
12gb G.Skill triple channel @ 1333mhz (stock)
Asus Rampage III Formula mobo
OCZ Vertex Agility II 60gb SSD (boot)
WD 500gb Blue 7200rpm (WoW installed on this drive)

I haven't had any framerate drops whatsoever, however occasionally WoW will crash with a memory related error saying its requesting 24gb of memory..lol memory leak? Though I am playing without the game fully downloaded yet (about 70% done on the patcher, so that could have something to do with it.

I think your problem is AMD related. You see, crossfire scales HORRIBLY compared to a similar priced sli-set up. You can find a ton of tech sites that have done performance reviews comparing Eyefinity vs Nvidia Surround with crossfire/sli and SLI tends to get 40% or higher framerates in almost every game. This is especially true in DX11 games (if i remember correctly, nvidia cards currently get something like 3x more fps than the amd cards).

Maybe AMD will get their act together and start making decent cards that can scale like their Nvidia competition in the same price bracket...but i doubt it.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2010, 17:54 

Downloading AION today.. Gonna give that a try...

Ran LOTRO on 5760x1080 on dx11 ultra high settings... 60 fps everywhere.

Its not that I have frame rate drops in WoW. My cards are perfectly capable of rendering at 80-120 fps when I'm flying forward or are in any zone other than grizzly hills and zul drak.

I'm ready to give up after fiddling with it all day yesterday... Gonna go to running at 1920x1080 ultra 8x AA ... Or quit :( stupid game is making me miserable..

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2010, 06:11 

so yeah... loaded up aion jumped into a server.. ran around.. flew into the air.. the lowest FPS I got was 80.. highest 120 vsynced ... in Sanctum I got like 49 fps for like 1 second as I was rotating around maniacally... other than that smooth sailing in all the zones I have access to with all settings at max and fov @ 150..

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2010, 01:33 

My other issue is when I set my view distance anything beyond 'good' along with environment detail and ground clutter, I get massive drop in frames if I try to turn too fast. It stutters, it'll freeze... Any advice on this?
This is likely caused by a bottleneck while loading textures/mapping data from disk. Consider purchasing an SSD for WoW's game files.

I haven't had any framerate drops whatsoever, however occasionally WoW will crash with a memory related error saying its requesting 24gb of memory..lol memory leak?
I think you miscalculated the amount of memory it's requesting... it was probably 24M and not 25G; the issue is that the game client isn't LMA, so it's hard locked to 2G of working memory. At triple monitor resolutions, however, the client can easily require so much graphics data loaded into memory that it runs itself outside of the 2G limit and throws an error. The only workarounds are: use a modified client executable that is LMA (bannable, but it increases the limit to 4G) or lowering graphics settings.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2010, 06:36 

How do I verify that swapping out drives will correct the issue? I do hear my hods going crazy when I do get stutter.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 06:25 

WoW will crash with a memory related error saying its requesting 24gb of memory..lol memory leak?

WoW is still built on 32 bit code, and they have said in dev chats that they are not planning on rewriting the whole codebase anytime soon. This means that the game engine has hard limits on the memory it is able to address for the video buffer. If you run triplehead and have your view distance set better than halfway out at any of the higher detail settings, you will eventually hit that memory overflow error (it's probably saying 2.4gb not 24) It doesn't matter if your PC has 16gb RAM, it doesn't matter if your video card has 4gb of RAM, the game code itself will kick the error if you try to view too much at one time. Usually this happens when you are flying on a very fast air mount, or on an air taxi (anything that can get faster than 250% run speed) and you go high enough to draw a long ways out, or you swing your view around fast from side to side...

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 07:55 
Insiders
Insiders

WoW will crash with a memory related error saying its requesting 24gb of memory..lol memory leak?

WoW is still built on 32 bit code, and they have said in dev chats that they are not planning on rewriting the whole codebase anytime soon. This means that the game engine has hard limits on the memory it is able to address for the video buffer. If you run triplehead and have your view distance set better than halfway out at any of the higher detail settings, you will eventually hit that memory overflow error (it's probably saying 2.4gb not 24) It doesn't matter if your PC has 16gb RAM, it doesn't matter if your video card has 4gb of RAM, the game code itself will kick the error if you try to view too much at one time. Usually this happens when you are flying on a very fast air mount, or on an air taxi (anything that can get faster than 250% run speed) and you go high enough to draw a long ways out, or you swing your view around fast from side to side...

I do believe that cataclysm is supposed to be 64 bit. But this is just from word of mouth, i'm not sure if it's true. But that should alleviate some issues.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 09:09 

I do believe that cataclysm is supposed to be 64 bit. But this is just from word of mouth, i'm not sure if it's true. But that should alleviate some issues.

no it wont be and they will rewrite the code for 64bit even in the next expansions.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 17:49 

I experiencing exactly the same issues as you do.
And I am running a rig wich I tought should be able to handle it.

Crucial RealSSD C300 2,5" 128GB
355MB/140MB sec read/write. (One of the faster ssd disks out there)
i7 2600k SandyBridge @ 4.8 Ghz
2x 6970 in Crossfire.
3x Dell U2410 UltraSharp.
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz ram.

Its more or less unplayable if I dont have View Distance to the absolut minimum settings.
Must say Im quite disappointed.

When Im just flying straight forward, I get 100-140fps.
Once I make a turn, the entire game stutters and brings my fps down to everything from 5-20 fps.

Looks like I should have gotten Nvidia Cards. Tought AMD cards would be better, hence more memory. (2GB on each card)

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2011, 18:05 
Insiders
Insiders

I've had several games crashed due to running out of memory, even though I had plenty of free RAM because they are built on 32-bit code. This typically happened with RTS games with huge levels, such as Sins of a Solar Empire, Supreme Commander and Anno 1404. The fixed I used for these games was a program called "Large Address Aware" which allows programs to use additional RAM (past the 32-bit limitations). These worked for other games in the past, so I decided to try it on World of Warcraft - and it worked! I haven't had the game crash due to running out of memory since using the program once. I can max out view distance and all that jazz (though framerate is lower than desirable) and fly around azeroth and northrend with no crashes.

You can find it here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=112556