Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 14:28

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 20:11 

I apologize as I double posted this initially.... but, I didn't want to thread jack someone else's post. So let's run my questions here;

I am having a bit of a "crisis" trying to decide whether or not to go three 24s or simply keep my current config (24-30-24)....

I know of SoftTH and of the digital TripleHead2go.
... cost isn't too much of a problem, just "best bang for the buck" and best game play for most games (CoD4, DiRT, Assassins Creed, Crysis...etc) as well as keeping my machine very "work minded" as I telecommute often from home.

My question to all of you is;
Being that the TH2G is capable of running one DVI-D link in SLI to three 24" monitors.... does that config screw up the normal control you have when running 3 monitors on their own DVI-D link to the GPUs? Meaning, does it make it one big screen in the control panel display settings??

What's the best for both worlds???
Monitors? and either SoftTH or TH2G??

.... I'm a bit frustrated with it, and it drives me to stay up late researching it. I have the three 24s in hand, and the 30". So buying new monitors isn't needed, only the TH2G if that's (the best) recommended.

I think I also read that I can't use my 30" Dell as my center monitor (and TH2G) being it can't support 57Hz... True??

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!!

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 20:26 

Okay... I've read some more and answered part of my own question(s)....

That is....
The software for TH2G will allow multiple monitor adjustment, even though you have only one DVI-D link from the PC - VERY COOL.

Does the TH2G utilize my SLI capability?? Meaning, is there any advantage.... or is it a bottle neck at the Matrox box??

Now... anyone running 24/30/24 setups that I can compare to or ask if they hate it, or like it....

I thought about running the three 24s from the Matrox Box and the 30" from the second GTX280, so when I turn off SLI... I run 4 monitors, with the 30 being off to the side and still "useable".

THOUGHTS?????

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 22:05 
Editors
Editors

I'll throw in a couple thoughts.

First, how does 1680x1050 look on your 30" screen? Really fuzzy? OK? Good? This is entirely up to your personal IQ standards. If you include this monitor in a TH2Go setup then 1680x1050 is the highest res it will be running at all times.

Then there's this issue:
I think I also read that I can't use my 30" Dell as my center monitor (and TH2G) being it can't support 57Hz... True??

If you want to run triplewide 5040x1050 but your Dell absolutely does not support 57Hz, then you simply won't be able to run 5040x1050 with that monitor in your TH2Go setup. 4320x900@60Hz would be the highest usable res...and I'm pretty sure that would look craptastic on 24" and 30" panels.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2009, 22:13 

.... like to keep these kinds of thoughts coming.

And all of this is why I'm asking the questions. I see that lowering the res way below even a 24" native resolution might even look crappy... but, I was trying to get an idea "of worth". Ya know... before, taking the plunge for a $300 splitter, or working the angles with SoftTH (time consuming).

I love running my 30" in 2560x and it just works awesome as a single widescreen gaming monitor... but, I've never sat in front of a triple wide and immersed in something like DiRT or other driving game. I'm sure it's incredible. But, truly I also like high-end resolution, and dropping the res to accomodate the Matrox box is something I'd like to understand it's "worth".

SOOooooo... for the people running 3x24"s ... does it lower the resolution to where you'd begin to wonder and ask yourself; "... is this worth it??"

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 00:21 

Why don't you give SoftTH a try since you have everything to run it? You don't have to drop the resolution and you can make up for the gaps between the screens (maybe TH2go can do this too?)

Only problem I see is the resolution being so high that any recent games become unplayable... :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 01:24 
Insiders
Insiders

As for SLI it works fine through TH2Go, SofTH can't do SLI, unless you throw in another GPU I guess.

Those games you mention all work in TH mode one way or another IIRC.
IMO having a game with the centre monitor being bigger (but the same res) would be weird, YMMV.

3x24 running at 1680x1050 each is cool for me.. and with the latest SLI drivers you can also run the 30 as well out of games (or in the games that don't support TH res).

And playing any game that offers first of third person perspective (shooters, driving, flying etc) in TH kicks the pants off using a 30". I have tried both and the 30" is rubbish in comparison, 3x24" fill your view so nicely (3x30" would be even better IMO but I haven't seen that, though I think someone here has that!). Not running at native res doesn't bother me in the slightest, I thought it would but now I don't even notice. Some games like RTS type things with a top down or isometric type view may well be better on a 30 just because of the extra height you get (1600 vs 1050), but you have the best of both worlds. When I had my 3x19" and my 24" I just unplugged the DVI cable from the TH unit and put it in my 24" whenever I played a non TH game (like battlefield)... you could do the same thing.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 03:04 

Running SLI with SoftTH won't do anything, which sucks because you'll need the extra rendering power for most games. It's good to get a feel for triplehead with it before you buy though :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 16:22 

More good info... thank you guys! :wink:

Now... being SLI really doesn't help the gaming in either 'mode' I choose... I think that I have a possible config that would work without having to continually change cables or move monitors around. Tell me if you all think it would work within the games, or if it'd be too hard to select or deselect the monitors within the game itself (if the game consoles could handle the config).

My connection idea(s);

30" connected to a 280, direct and it would remain as my main monitor.

Three 24"s, connected to a TH2Go and then to the other 280 (not sure that would make any performance difference or not) ... but, they'd ultimately be; @ 5040x1050

The configuration would be (sorry, I don't have all 4 connected at this time to show it accurately - but it shows the 24s at the bottom sitting on my desk and the 30 mounted on the wall above the desk)

Since I've not commited to the mounting and moving of the monitors into this position and buying the wall mount (and the TH2Go)... etc.etc... I'd like to know if anyone has any insight on whether or not my games previously listed would be able to display ONLY on the 3x24s via TH2Go or if I'd have problems (or, would I simply have to pull the DVI-D out of the 30 before starting up any game to not confuse the games themselves)?!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 16:58 
Editors
Editors

I'd like to know if anyone has any insight on whether or not my games previously listed would be able to display ONLY on the 3x24s via TH2Go or if I'd have problems (or, would I simply have to pull the DVI-D out of the 30 before starting up any game to not confuse the games themselves)?!

That is a 2-display (the 30" & the TH2Go) setup as far as Windows is concerned. I think you should be able to deactivate the 30" via control panel before gaming. I have not used a setup like this--anyone more experienced see why this would not work?

Let me also add that I am very jealous :wink: :D

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2009, 17:16 

[quote]I'd like to know if anyone has any insight on whether or not my games previously listed would be able to display ONLY on the 3x24s via TH2Go or if I'd have problems (or, would I simply have to pull the DVI-D out of the 30 before starting up any game to not confuse the games themselves)?!

That is a 2-display (the 30" & the TH2Go) setup as far as Windows is concerned. I think you should be able to deactivate the 30" via control panel before gaming. I have not used a setup like this--anyone more experienced see why this would not work?

Let me also add that I am very jealous :wink: :D

Ahhh yes... I guess I should have mentioned, I'm not barbaric and wouldn't have physically pulled the cable, but disabled in contol panel. I do know... pulling the cable, can require a reboot to get it to work again. Simply "disabling", is so much 'cleaner' and easier... and not so barbaric.

... no reason for more of you to not have this setup (besides $$), as the 24" Dells (2405 FPW) are only $250 (let me know if you need info on where to get them at this price)... and they aren't bad as gaming screens (even with a 12ms time).

I'm going to order my TH2Go now.... as I've just watched some of the "comparison" videos and ... well ... I'm in awe. (insert "drool" icon here)

So much for getting anything done (once this is all setup next week - when the TH2Go comes in) ... either during working hours, or after hours when I'm supposed to be mowing the lawn or taking care of my honey-doos.

I don't see a lot of info on this board in regards to the driving game "DiRT" (which looks INCREDIBLE on my 30" in full resolution and SLI). So I'll check out more on that..... and I'd also like to know what is the most fun driving game others like in full surround gaming. I have to utilize the wheel and pedals (as it's great fun for "Sunday Funday" at the house).

Thanks to all of you thus far for your help. Keep the comments and ideas coming. Your all helping me take the plunge and spend my hard earned $$. :wink: