Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 18:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Lower Refresh rates?
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 06:45 

Hi all

My TH2Go will be here Monday. I have been reading a lot the last month or so while I have been getting everything together. I read how some have been able to force their monitors to run at 57Hz, even though it wasn't offered in the normal select refresh box. I thought I would try it, but then thought about maybe just using a lower refresh that is shown to be supported by my monitor.

Is it possible for TH2Go Digital to do 5040x1050 at 50Hz?
I don't think my monitor will do 57Hz at 1680x1050 without trying to force it. In Nvidia control panel, when I select 1680x1050, I get the following refresh options:
25Hz
29Hz
30Hz
50Hz
59Hz
60Hz

So if TH2Go can run at 50Hz, I will be happy with that. I loaded that res and refresh and the screen looks fine at 50Hz, so I wouldn't try to force 57Hz if the unit will allow me to run at 50.

If it can't that's fine too, I will just try to force 57Hz and see if it will do it. If not I will run a lower res at 60Hz.

Has anyone tried lower refresh rates?

Thank you :)

Post subject: Re: Lower Refresh rates?
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 13:12 

Ive tried down to 54hz, however you should just go ahead and try the 57hz and see if it works. Generally its better to have a higher refresh rate.

Do
25Hz
29Hz
30Hz

actually work? They are HDTV type refresh rates for matching up to certain source material. Ive never seen an LCD (PC) monitor with such low refresh options. My LCD Projector however has 50 and 24hz as options, along with 60 and 75hz.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2009, 20:34 

Hi

The monitors I will be using are Acer X263Wbi 25.5" LCD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009133&Tpk=Acer%20X263Wbi

I just tried 1680x1050@25Hz
It works, but the image is fuzzy looking and vibrating.

I can see no difference between 50Hz and 60Hz though. The image looks the same, to me.

I may mess around with trying to get 57Hz. I was just hoping someone had already tried TH2Go at lower refresh and could give some feedback.

I think it should work, since you can do 54Hz, that proves that TH2Go doesn't 'have' to be at 57, it does work at lower.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 22:42 

Just tested 50hz. I got the "Custom Mode Test failed" BS error message from the nVidia panel, however 2 of the 3 monitors did display the desktop correctly. Due to the test not validating (which is nVidias on going issue) I couldnt save it as a proper custom resolution.

The middle monitor (the Acer in my sig) displayed an "out of range" error. Certainly seems like the Matrox TH2G itself has no specific issue at 50hz.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2009, 23:33 

Thank you for trying it

It offers some hope. At least I know that TH2Go can work at lower refresh.
Yeah, it is a shame Nvidia is blind to all the request for them ot better support this in their drivers.

And I don't suppose there is a hacked driver that works better for this either. I would think that Matrox would be lobbying them for better support. Honestly, I feel certain they probably have been.

I could understand this better if TH2Go was brand new and only been on the market for a very short while, but this isn't the case. It appears Nv simply isn't doing anything to help. Only my assumption, I don't know for sure.

Again thank you.
My unit will be here Monday. I'll just cross my fingers and see what happens.