Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 12:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 07:42 

I've had the TH2G analog for almost 3 years now. Absolutely love it. I originally purchased 3 ViewSonic VP930b 19" monitors with it, and for the most part they served very well and my widescreen gaming experiences have been outstanding. The only problem with the VP930b's has been the backlights on them would occassionally quit working. I never had any problem with ViewSonic support allowing me to return them for warranty repair. I always had a spare 19" monitor to hook up while waiting for the repaired one to be returned, and that worked OK for me.

However...

One of them went out again about a week ago. I returned it for repair (all 3 are still under warranty, but just barely) and am waiting for it's return. I hooked up my spare monitor and was OK until this morning, when another of my VP930b's went out. The green power light blinks on and off, but no screen will display. So now I am sitting here with no center monitor displaying, and typing using only my two outside screens (I don't have another spare monitor to hook up). This just sucks now. :lol:

The warranties on the VP930b's are about to expire after almost 3 years. I'm seriously considering donating all 3 of them to a charity and purchasing 3 totally new 19" monitors. In as much as the VP930b's are no longer made, I'm looking for recommendations on 19" monitors that work very well with the TH2G and don't have "warranty" problems (don't break very often, but if they do, receive good manufacturer warranty support).

Additionally, as an alternative option, I'm considering upgrading to the TH2G Digital, and possibly going with bigger monitors. Maybe three 22" ones. Please note I have been VERY hesitant to do this because of all the posts I have seen concerning resolution issues with various OS's, graphics cards, video drivers, gamessimulations, etc. Making the move to the Digital with 22" monitors actually scares me to death right now from what I've been reading.

I use my TH2G for Flight Sims and Racing Sims. Primarily Flight Simulator X, Nascar Racing 2003 Season, and rFactor. I haven't experienced any TH2G Analog problems with these sims, but even after reading numerous posts here about the resolution issues with the TH2G Digital and 22" monitors, I'm not positive I wouldn't encounter some problems if I went that route for these sims.

Folks, I'm a firm believer in researching stuff before asking forum questions. I have read dozens of posts in this forum about the possible issues, but I must admit I'm still kinda confused on some of it. So if anyone here who uses the above simulations with either the TH2G Analog or Digital editions would reply, I would greatly appreciate it.

Questions:

1. If I stay with the TH2G Analog setup, which 19" monitors would you recommend I purchase now?

2. If I take the plunge to the TH2G Digital, which monitors (and sizes) would you recommend for using with Flight Simulator, rFactor, Nascar Racing 2003 Season, and those type of sims? Note I don't "play" FPS'ers, RPG's, or sims like those.

System specs follow:
Intel Q9650 @ 3.00 GHz
Vista 64 Ultimate Edition
nVidia GeForce GTX 280
(I won't bore you with the rest of it, but it's all good! :lol: )

My above system runs all the sims very well, and is properly maintained on a regular basis, so "computer horsepower" won't be a problem.

Any replies GREATLY appreciated. I can afford to make the purchases in either of the above cases, but before I spend the money, I would like the expertise advice of some of you here. If providing links already posted in these forums would answer some of the questions, that would work also. I have read numerous ones already, but I may have missed some that would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance!

Rick

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 11:45 
Insiders
Insiders

I gotta say. The VP930b has disappointed me heavily. I bought mine <2 years ago and it already died. Also it has gray ghosting so playing most games is pretty hard. My Vp191b of 3+ years old meanwhile keeps on chugging and has much better game performance, as well as excellent colors while over DVI.

About a year+ ago I was looking for a 19" to buy (since a second Vp930b was wayyyy too expensive for its age and suckiness), unfortunately it seems they pretty much have stopped releasing new models for 5:4 19". So all you have are ancient monitors like the Vp191b which are very good but aren't produced anymore (and thus cost more than brand new bigger monitors!).

If I were you I'd definitely upgrade to 3xWS, that's what I'm doing as soon as I can afford it.