Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 12 Sep 2024, 10:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 11:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Anyone have some good sim game demo suggestions? I know HAWX would probably be a good one to show, how about some other flight and driver sim demos?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:06 

That looks great! What you need now is a pit setup around you with stick, throttle and pedals and a screen for instruments.

I haven't got room for a projector setup (or would want the replacement bulbs issue to be at the back of my mind - shame they are still so expensive) so I'm converting my small attic into a themed 'pit instead.

Got a 3 x 19" & 1 x 24" TH2Go setup at the moment but am planning to move this to a 3 x 24" (U2410) & 1 x 24" & 2 x 19" Eyefinity 6 powered setup in the near future. Got three 10" screens as well that I'd like to use if I can, with a second card, possible make use of the TH2Go box as well.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:10 
Insiders
Insiders

That looks great! What you need now is a pit setup around you with stick, throttle and pedals and a screen for instruments.

Oh, I've got that covered too. This screen setup is just the prototype for the screen system for the thing below, which gets it's own garage/workshop/building. :wink:

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:29 
Editors
Editors

That is insane. In a good way. Amazing.

I'm stunned. That's awesome.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:35 

Very nice indeed...! F86?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:36 
Insiders
Insiders

That is insane. In a good way. Amazing.

I'm stunned. That's awesome.

When I do hobbies, I tend to nerd out on them a bit... :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Very nice indeed...! F86?

A Republic F-84F-10-GK to be exact. :wink:

The instrument panel looks like my avatar. The F-84F was a pretty big workhorse in the 50-60's but is under appreciated compared to the F-86 of the same era. The F-86 was the fighter, while the F-84 was the fighter-bomber of that era.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:45 
Editors
Editors

When I do hobbies, I tend to nerd out on them a bit... :lol:

That's not a bad thing. ;) If I had that much room, I'd probably do the same. :oops:

Do some sort of big write up, see if you can get a magazine interested?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 13:48 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]When I do hobbies, I tend to nerd out on them a bit... :lol:

That's not a bad thing. ;) If I had that much room, I'd probably do the same. :oops:

Do some sort of big write up, see if you can get a magazine interested?

It'll probably be about 5 years before I can do that in a presentable way. The simpit itself is a long term project that is going to eat a significant amount of time to achieve. Just think of how the tech will be then? Interesting to think about what'll possably be in the future. It's going to be fun to evolve the setup over time to that point.

My dream would be for projectors to finally be converted over to the 25,000 hour LED based bulbs and be affordable 1080p. That way the bulbs would be simply out of the cost equation. Bulb prices are what is killing projector adoption rates. 1080p LED bulb 0.6:1 short-throw projector (with DisplayPort on board) would be a dream come true for simpit builders. No such thing atm, as the tech just isn't combined in that form yet at any price.

Maybe by then "4k HD" projection might edge into the upper mainstream marketplace along with a version of DisplayPort capable of "4k HD" bandwidth connections. Combine that with 5-year matured EyeFinity and we're talking some seriously cool configurations. (Note to the AMD/ATI guys...the next OS after Win 7 could target a maximum of double the 8192x8192 current spec to allow a triple-head "4k HD" LCD display or projection capability if you're forward thinking). Forget going to an IMAX theater, because you'd have one at home. :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 21:04 
Insiders
Insiders

To show the importance of Sol7 in the whole setup, here is a picture example of uncorrected projection (and what your 2D desktop will always look like) vs. Sol7 pre-warped projection. Without pre-warp capability circular projection is ugly. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next