Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 09 Jul 2024, 02:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 17:15 
Editors
Editors

Well i think youll return your 5870 Samiad :

Code:
He is on about the Matrox products not the AMD Eyefinity technology.  Matrox products are owned by Matrox it is not upto AMD to support them.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=119371&enterthread=y

Im tempted to return my GPUs too, and wait for the new Nvidia GT300 - i wont buy any new DP monitors right now.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 18:10 
Editors
Editors

Well, that's bollocks.

However, I will say this: that AMD Admin/Mod has always been extremely hostile toward anything that sounds different. Every time anyone has queried about AMD supporting something 'non-standard' in their drivers, he's cracked down and locked the thread. (Like when a chap asked about AMD getting their act together and fixing 5040x1050 support, as at the time the best ATi offered with Triplehead was 3x1440x900. He locked the thread. About four months later, AMD released a driver supporting 3x1680x1050. Finally...)

I wouldn't give up hope, but equally I'd be tempted to throw in the towel with people trying to 'help' like that.

That being said, you'd probably get exactly the same response from nVidia if it was a problem you were experiencing with them. They've been sticking their heads in the sand with respect to TripleHead issues in the latest nVidia drivers for a while too, if I remember rightly.

No one wants to admit fault any more. It's always the fault of the other parties. If it wasn't Matrox, it'd be the monitor manufacturer, or the PSU manufacturer, or the case maker... or something. The phase of the moon, maybe. Never the fault of that manufacturers hardware/software. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 18:18 
Editors
Editors

That being said, you'd probably get exactly the same response from nVidia if it was a problem you were experiencing with them. They've been sticking their heads in the sand with respect to TripleHead issues in the latest nVidia drivers for a while too, if I remember rightly.

Yes, but lets not forget that ATI has EyeFinity solution now, and naturally wants to boost it, so will it actually provide support for matrox products in the new 5800 drivers ? :wink:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:07 
Editors
Editors

Yes, but lets not forget that ATI has EyeFinity solution now, and naturally wants to boost it, so will it actually provide support for matrox products in the new 5800 drivers ? :wink:

True. However, while I doubt they're gonna go "out of their way" to fix issues with TripleHead before they fix issues with EyeFinity, I would hope they wouldn't pull tricks like actively trying to break it.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 12:30 

Yep, I have thought a lot about this these past few days.

Firstly, I have no idea if it's on Matrox to update their Powerdesk, or ATi to release a more complete driver. It could be a bit of both even.

ATi aren't really going to put this as a high priority because

1. They have their Eyefinity solution at the fore, and
2. I won't say they 'rushed' the product to market but it's clear it was released without full driver support (see no crossfire & eyefinity, no bezel management, etc. etc.) This means their workstack at the moment is probably backed up a fair amount, ergo fixing TH2GO resolutions is going to be down the list some.

Now, would ATi go out of their way to not support TH2GO and try and push people into Eyefinity? Well possibly, but I don't think so. At the end of the day, ATi want people to buy their cards, and if they forgo TH2GO support over Eyefinity then a certain portion of their customer base will go to nVidia. They lose nothing in supporting TH2GO because TH2GO users will buy ATi, and people interested in Eyefinity will buy ATi.

So my final feeling is that eventually the 5870 will be supported, but it's likely going to take a while. And yes, my 5870 is being picked up for RMA next Tuesday. I'm just gonna power through Crysis and Crysis Warhead whilst my system has the power to do it justice ;-)

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 12:33 
Editors
Editors

but it's likely going to take a while.

lol yes

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 09:47 

Could you check if at least 4320x900 runs fine?

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 16:31 

I don't have that resolution listed as an option I'm afraid.

My max is 3840 x 768.

Last few hours of my 5870 :( Gonna pack it up later and swap in the 4850, the 5870 is being collected for RMA tomorrow morning. :(

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:46 

any one able to get triplehead2go working on a HD5800 series ATi AMD video Card?

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 09:55 

Are there any news yet??