Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Sep 2024, 14:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What am I missing
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 04:49 

I don't get it. With everything that I have currently in place, I had everything working for months just fine. About a month ago one of my three displays started flickering. The monitor would flicker about 5 to 10 times within the first 30 to 45 minutes after I started my computer. After that it stopped for the most part. I have two Radeon 6950 cards from MSI plugged in with crossfire (what a joke). I was having small problems with a couple of programs on my system (itunes took 15 minutes to recognize a CD and other issues) and somtimes you know, it's just time to format and reinstall windows from scratch. So to help fix other issues and to help trouble shoot what was going on with this monitor flicker, I reinstalled windows. As I'm writing this, I remember now, that I also updated my bios. I have an ASUS motherboard and the ability to flash the bios thru a windows based program (AI Charger). My current bios was two updates behind, so obviously I updated with the most current one. Hmm, maybe there's something going on in my bios? As I'm pondering on it, I can't think of anything I can do in my bios menu to fix my problem, but maybe you all can thik of something I'm not. Anyways, After reinstalling Windows with the new bios update, my flickering monitor was still there AND NOW, the big problem. The two monitors that I have installed thru the HDMI slot and also a DVI conerted into another HDMI(thru an active adapter), now has a deadspace all around my frame (picture). It's as if the resolution has been changed. Under windows resoultions screen all THREE monitors recommend and are also set at 1920x1080 (even thou, two of the monitors show different sizes). After fighting this for sometimes I became aware that I really didn't like the new BIOS update and the way windows and other programs were installing and updating. I don't know if the Bios I downloaded was corrupt, but there were all kinds of issues going on with that install of windows. I did figure out why my monitor was flickering. That ended up being due to a faulty mini (active) display port adapter. I got a new one the other day (took out the warranty on that one), and the flickering has stopped. But again, I was real unhappy with this new instal of windows and now this wierd screen resolution problem. The monitor that is plugged into the mini display was the one that was flickering, and now is the only monitor that I have that fills the entire screen (not flickering). After installing the drivers for my GPU and doing everything I can with Catalyst control, I'm at a lost. Two of my three monitors are different size. Frustrated with everything, I reflashed my bios to the previous version (one version older than the one I'd been using) and patiently installed all my Windows programs and updates one at a time. I'm real happy with the current BIOS, and Windows and all programs installed flawlessly. I did all of this last night, and the difference is like night and day. But, my monitors are still of different sizes. Again, this was all working with everything that I have currently in place for months, except for a new mini display port. I've experienced much enjoyment racing on iracing with my 3 monitor setup. But now theres this 1" black border going around 2 of my monitors.

When I open catalyst control and I have each monitor extended (1-2-3), and in the desktop managment/desktop properties window, the monitor that I have plugged in to the mini display has a different desktop area setting than the other two montitors that are plugged into my HDMI's. The mini display has your regular resoltion setting that is set at 1920 x 1080. The other two monitors have the regular resolution menu, but different resolutions than what the mini has. There is no 1920 x 1080. These two monitors also have a different type of setting. An HDTV setting and both of these monitors are set at 1080p. It seems like this should be a simple something or other to fix, but it's been causing me grief for days. I don't remember having this problem when I first started using eyefinity months ago. Whats different or, what am I not doing???? Please help!!

Thanks for listening,
Mark Da Muliem

Post subject: tl;dr. Could you please
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 08:54 
Insiders
Insiders

tl;dr. Could you please condense the issue down to a few sentences?

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2012, 09:23 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello muliem,

I don't know why i readed that long story of yours :p but i maybe have a solution.

Maybe you have to change the setting of your displays, not on your computer but with the buttons on the monitor, maybe thats the problem.

Sh4dowking

Post subject: the short version
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 01:20 

The short version. The 2 monitors plugged into my graphics card thru HDMI have a 1" border going around my screen. The 1 monitor that I have plugged into my mini DVI fills the screen completly. The actual settings on my monitor are all the same. Again all this worked with current configuration and hardware before I reformatted and installed windows.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 01:29 

it sounds like either scaling or overscan, and more likely since you are using different outputs. both the monitors and drivers both can have these features, so it should be in there somewhere. i could tell you where the setting are in nvidia but not on ati or your monitor menus.
sorry i cant be more specific.

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

Post subject: Thanks coolman
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2012, 01:54 

Yup, Overscan issue. I don't remember having to play with that when I started months ago. I found it under the digital flat panel tab and was under the impression those had nothing to do with eyefinity. I don't know why I didn't find that option and play with it before I pulled all my hair out, but oh well.
Thanks for the Help,
Da Muliem