Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Oct 2024, 13:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 02:42 

System specs:

Alienware R3, 2600k, 16GB RAM, HD6990 (11.11 and CAP1), Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.
Old Dell 24" plus two newly purchased Dell U2412M.
Connected via one DVI and two active mini DP to DVI adapters.

This is a brand new system. Once I got hold of the active adapters I plugged in and went straight to CCC (10.11 as this was a few days ago). Without any trouble I was able to configure eyefinity with an extended desktop over the three monitors. This worked on BF3 (after editing the width in the config file). Unfortunately this machine appears to have issues (and is being replaced by Dell) and is unable to run BF3 without resetting after a couple of minutes (this is with no overclocking on a brand new install and on low graphics settings - I have more recently installed Skyrim and this runs perfectly on ultra settings for hours on end). As I had not saved the eyefinity setup I had to reconfigure, and that was fine. But on the next crash and ever since all I can get is three duplicate screens with 640 resolution. There is a stage in the wizard after selecting a 3x1 configuration where you select the blue screen to extend the display properly. This doesn't happen anymore and the wizard skips straight through to what it claims is a completed setup where the only option available is to disable the grouping. If I then go into "manage desktops" and attempt to arrange CCC crashes.

I have fiddled around for maybe 6 hours trying to get it to work again. I have uninstalled the 11.10 (with ATIMan) and re-installed without success. Updating to the 11.11 drivers has exactly the same issue (even down to CCC crashing if I try to arrange desktops).

Post subject: One of your adapters is
PostPosted: 23 Nov 2011, 09:47 
Insiders
Insiders

One of your adapters is bugging. The way to fix this is to unplug the adapters and replug them (If using Dual-Link DVI adapter with usb. just unplug the usb and replug them).

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2011, 02:39 

I reckon you are right - one of the adapters seems to have stopped working completely now so I can only view two screens. I'm off to the shops to buy DP cables and cut out the adapters.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011, 01:50 

Yes it was a failed adapter. I picked up two mini DP to DP cables (no adapter involved) and eyefinity is back up and running. Now just waiting for the replacement Alienware on Thursday hoping for the instant crash on starting games in eyefinity (even COD4!) to be resolved.