Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 21:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bezel Compensation
PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 19:38 

I'm a newbie. I got eyefinity working. I am running a 5770 w/ 2 Dell U2410 and a Dell F2405. They are all capable of running 1920 x 1200. I'm not to familiar w/ EDID. Is my setup impossible to run bezel compensation w/ a 3 x 1 setup? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Bezel Compensation
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 05:24 

One monitor is slightly different in EDID so ATI is blocking bezel compensation.

It's retarded and nobody knows if ATI will stop enforcing this nonsense.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 21:08 

I'm a newbie. I got eyefinity working. I am running a 5770 w/ 2 Dell U2410 and a Dell F2405. They are all capable of running 1920 x 1200. I'm not to familiar w/ EDID. Is my setup impossible to run bezel compensation w/ a 3 x 1 setup? Thanks.

It's NOT the difference in EDID that blocks Bezel Compensation. The problem is due to PIXEL DENSITY difference between the monitors. As long as the PIXEL DENSITY is within a certain range, Bezel Compensation will work.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 04:13 

[quote]I'm a newbie. I got eyefinity working. I am running a 5770 w/ 2 Dell U2410 and a Dell F2405. They are all capable of running 1920 x 1200. I'm not to familiar w/ EDID. Is my setup impossible to run bezel compensation w/ a 3 x 1 setup? Thanks.

It's NOT the difference in EDID that blocks Bezel Compensation. The problem is due to PIXEL DENSITY difference between the monitors. As long as the PIXEL DENSITY is within a certain range, Bezel Compensation will work.

That's what AMD claims anyway. A 5% tolerance is quite large, but even monitors that should be well within that range aren't allowed bezel compensation. As has been said many times already, AMD should stop being silly and just let anyone use bezel compensation if they so desire.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 10:55 

[quote][quote]I'm a newbie. I got eyefinity working. I am running a 5770 w/ 2 Dell U2410 and a Dell F2405. They are all capable of running 1920 x 1200. I'm not to familiar w/ EDID. Is my setup impossible to run bezel compensation w/ a 3 x 1 setup? Thanks.

That's what AMD claims anyway. A 5% tolerance is quite large, but even monitors that should be well within that range aren't allowed bezel compensation. As has been said many times already, AMD should stop being silly and just let anyone use bezel compensation if they so desire.

I don't agree. To simply allow Bezel Compensation willy-nilly would open up a whole new can of worms. People would then be complaining about inconsistency between the screens. And then there would be those trying to use 17 inch LCDs with 22 inch LCDs and griping about mismatches there, too.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 13:04 

if i have three 24" 16:10 screens then i want the option for bezel compensation!

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 03:45 

I don't agree. To simply allow Bezel Compensation willy-nilly would open up a whole new can of worms. People would then be complaining about inconsistency between the screens. And then there would be those trying to use 17 inch LCDs with 22 inch LCDs and griping about mismatches there, too.

Yea that's true, but the way they're doing things now is a big problem for people who should theoretically have no problems at all with bezel compensation, but are having to flash EDID, buy new monitors or just go without while AMD pretends the problem doesn't exist. If they unlocked bezel compensation even in just hotfix drivers I think a lot of people would be happy, and the kind of people who'd try it on seriously mismatched monitors probably won't even know.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 05:27 

Let's speak specifically about the bezels.

Although three different monitors may each have the same exact resolution, that does not mean that each one has the same exact bezel width. One monitor may have a bezel width of 15/16 inch, and a second monitor may have a full 1 inch. Then, add a third one that may have a totally different width than the other two. If these bezel widths are not consistent across all three monitors, you'll end up with some problems as far as trying to compensate for the differences. If it were not for this variation from monitor to monitor to all other monitors, then I would argue that there should be no problem allowing Bezel Compensation. But, due to the fact that this variation does occur, then my understanding is that AMD disables the feature to avoid running into the problems that would be created by allowing it ... as I said earlier ... willy-nilly.

Perhaps, once the feature is more mature AND....VERY IMPORTANT AND...the ADAPTERS are more reliable, then we can look forward to better utilization of Bezel Compensation. Eyefinity, technology-wise, is still in an early stage of development. At this time, I, personally, would prefer to see better adapter reliability after having so many problems with anything other than a DP->VGA adapter.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2010, 09:04 

The size of the bezels doesn't matter in the slightest and isn't even contained in the EDID as far as I could see. A lot of people put the side monitor bezels behind the ones on the center monitor anyway. The level of compensation is adjusted by the user, not enforced by the drivers. The drivers just decide wether you're allowed to compensate at all or not.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 08:47 

I'm all for unlocking bezel management. In fact, they should simply implement all the features found in SoftTH. I play well over 50% of my games with Eyefinity disabled because it can't handle mis-matched monitors.