Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 13 Jul 2024, 03:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 08:41 

Hi guys,

It seems that a lot of you have success in actually getting Eyefinity to work properly, I am not however and I'm wondering if anyone else are experiencing similar issues as I am.

The setup I'm trying to get to work is a 2x2 videowall plugged into a 5870 eyefinity 6 edition. However - and please excuse my language - these drivers/control panel from ATI is the buggiest peice of crap software I've had to deal with for many many years. I know Eyefinity is still fairly new, but I just can not believe that such a big well established company as ATI would release this steaming pile of crap and call it drivers.

I have started to try and compile a list of the issues I'm experiencing since they are so many. This is what I have so far:

* Sometimes when it asks me "Is the current display arrangement correct?" The No-button is greyed out and sometimes it's not - either way it literally won't take no for an answer even when it's not greyed out since cliking it doesn't result in anything happening - you have to click Yes.
* Sometimes it asks me if I want to do the bezel compensation thing, and sometimes it doesn't.
* I can not disable GPU scaling on screen 1 - it will just tick the box again whenever I untick it. On the other 3 screens it works fine.
* When I ask to create a 2x2 Eyefinity-group, 90% of the time I will just get 4 duplicate screens instead with each screen running in a resolution of 640x480. I also love how the ATI control panel basically requires you to run a higher resolution to operate it, how about some scroll bars ATI? Windows have them in their resolution settings.
* Setting the various EDID/monitor/HDTV modes manually have unreliable results. Sometimes it will go just fine without any flickering, other times it will flicker and result in boxes I didn't tick being ticked, or boxed I did tick being unticked again, and sometimes it will switch me into a 640x480 desktop (which seems to be the drivers favorite thing to do).
* Drivers insists on giving a 15% underscan on 2 of the screens which sometimes have to be manually corrected.
* On the few occasions i have successfully managed to get an 2x2 Eyefinity working, there have always been some form of underscan problem on a few or all of the screens.

I have tried this with 2 different screen setups, one using 4 Samsung 400UXN and one using a Sony SRX T105, which is basically a projector with 4 DVI-inputs. There was no difference between the two.

I should also mention that I am using 2 passive Mini-DP->DVI adaptors (the ones that came with the card) and 2 active Mac Mini-DP-DVI adaptors.

So what I'm wondering is, am I the only one experiencing all these bugs? I have installed this all on a fresh Windows 7 system, so I don't see what I could be doing wrong.

I'm slightly fed up as you might be able to tell, and disappointed as well, I had high hopes for Eyefinity since it seems to basically offer the same thing as Nvidias Quadro Plex but at a fraction of the cost. I didn't even expect it to work perfectly either since it is still a new and niche thing, but for me it has just been completely unusable so far.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 14:35 

2 active Mac Mini-DP-DVI adaptors.

Do your monitors have VGA input? If so, then you might want to consider replacing your DP-DVI adapters with DP-VGA. They're not very expensive, so it won't set you back much.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 17:11 

Are your monitors all identical, or do you have a mix-match of screens?

Some details about the monitor specs would be helpful.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2010, 17:22 

Don't mess around with DP->DVI adapters, they suck. On the other hand, even the cheapest DP->VGA adapters work perfectly and most of the people cannot tell the difference.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 08:58 

Yes the monitors are all identical, they are all Samsung 400UXNs, and I have tried plugging in another setup of 4 identical display outputs as well (the Sony projector).

I am skeptical about going over to VGA, I work a lot with displays and in my experience there usually is a noticeable difference between using an analog and digital signal. With VGA you usually get a "softer" picture (slightly out of focus) and you might have more problems with over/under-scan and just various forms of interference in the image. There is also the problem that I'm connecting this to a videowall that is already mounted on a wall, which means that I can't easily replace the existing HDMI-cabling with VGA instead.

On the other hand, VGA might solve some separate issues I have with the extension of DVI/HDMI, since VGA will extend more easily. So I might try it if I ever feel up to disassembling the videowall.

I think I'm going to try a more powerful PSU in the system before anything else.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 12:28 

If you haven’t already heard the buzz, there’s a DP-DVI single link adapter entering the market in a few weeks time. Maybe it’s just what you need.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2010, 15:04 

I have some of your issues and about same rage.

I have this setup:
Catalyst 10.5 (Later ones killes my DP monitor)
All 3 monitors are BENQ2200LED (HDMI/VGA)
Radeon 5970.

They are connected in the usual fashion.
DVI - > HDMI Left
DVI -> VGA Middle
DVI - > HDMI Right

So my issues, When using later drivers than 10.5 (10.6+) my DP monitor will not get detected when rebooting my system. I have to manually each time to reconnect my DP monitor after EACH reboot or the middle screen will have a resolution of 600x800? and the rest of monitors will have their non native 1680x1080 instead of 1920x1080. After reattaching my DP monitor all 3 screens will flicker and get the right resolution including the middle one. UNIL i reboot again.

All drivers does this from 10.6 and to 10.8.

one question also why does the CCC tell me that my monitors are connected as (DTV (DVI) 3) DTV (DVI) 4 and Digital Panel (DisplayPort) 2
What are the numbers (duplicate or what)?

Now to the GUI design I do agree that it is smelly. To find anything you have to lurk by 300 mouseclicks. WHO DESIGN THIS?
1, Why is there a display options in menu only containing if i want manual detection or not?
2, WHY IS THERE NO BACK BUTTON?
3, Why does it take so many menus just to change resolution.
4, Why oh why does the underscan defualt to 10% instead of 0?
5, Why no support for lower resolutions? Really, when my monitor defualts to 600res i get rage because i cannot enter the damn menus to enter the resoluton changer?

Did make a form for support but still no answer (4days or so now)

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 15:27 

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues. I've tried a more powerful PSU now, but that didn't help either. I'm talking with the manufacturer about this all, but I don't really have any high hopes of getting it to work at the moment. I'm just hoping that ATI will release some decent drivers in the future.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2010, 18:40 
Insiders
Insiders

I don't think what you are describing will be helped by a new PSU Johan. Never mind, they might get working drivers before the 7000 series comes out!

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 15:42 

Yeah we will just wait and see now. When we first read about this thing, we were pretty excited that ATI could offer a solution that is basically identical to Nvidias Mosaic functionality, but at around 6% of the cost (yes, really!). But this has just been a complete waste of time.

To be fair I have to say that our experiences with Nvidias Mosaic hasn't been completely trouble free either, but it was still nowhere near the disaster that Eyefinity is at the moment.