Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 04:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 05:48 

I'm so new to widescreen life that I literally just plugged my third monitor in hours ago, and have since been playing around with settings and love having 3 monitors for one big extended desktop.

I do however have a problem... I don't like working/browsing/doing anything online that stretches across all 3 screens, unless I'm playing a game... so is there an easy way to "toggle" between my standard 3 monitor extended desktop setup and the eyefinity setup(for gaming only)?

I tried saving a profile under the ATI CCC and I can get the eyefinity setup to toggle over very quickly, but I don't see an "off" switch, so I have to go in and mess around with all the settings to get the extended desktop to appear again, and appear in the correct order with the correct files in their correct places... I know it can't be this hard to toggle back and forth? I hope not at least

I guess if that isn't possible, is it possible to have the eyefinity style work like an extended desktop? Where if I double click a window, it will maximize to fill only the screen that the window is in, or allow me to drag to the top of either screen and it will auto maximize in that screen?

Sorry for all the noob questions... I'm a noob, obviously

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 10:46 
Insiders
Insiders

I'm in the same boat, wanting EF for games and extended for everything else.

I just set up my extended ..setup, and save its' profile in CCC, and do the same for my EF setup. I just load the profiles with an shortcut and/or hotkey that's generated when those profiles saved. I wouldn't call it a "toggle", as there are a few steps for the software to go through to change the screens.

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 13:35 

I'm trying the same thing, making a profile for my extended desktop, however even once I get it dialed in to look just like I want it, and click save, when I go from my eyefinity profile to my extended desktop profile, the monitors get mixed around, and sometimes my 1st monitor turns off while my 2 and 3 monitors get everything.. It's very random because sometimes it will only turn on 2 screens but other times all 3 will turn on but they will get mixed up so that instead of having a 1,2,3(left to right) extended desktop, it can be 213 or 321.. very odd.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 14:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Ya, i get that, too. One driver version did it properly, but my games hated it. I'm a gamer, so that didn't last long.

I guess I should've mentioned it, but sometimes i have to load my Extended profiles twice, as they're not always arranged properly on the first try. Thankfully, that second profile load only takes a second or two and i never have to do it a third time. Eyefinity profiles always load properly the first time.

FYI - i load EF w/ BM (ha ha), EF w/o , singlecenter , triple clone, center + one extended, center + 2 extended, and left + right extended with my shortcuts. But saving and using them on future Catalyst versions doesn't always work, which is lame.

I'm using DVI-DP-DVI, if that makes any difference...

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 18:18 

I have the same problem. I set up profiles for normal extended and eyefinity. It worked for awhile, but now it just randomly mixes up the monitors.

It's extremely annoying.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 19:24 

It was working at my old apartment... but after moving, I setup my monitors in a different order and no matter what I do now, it won't get the monitors to display in the right order using the profiles (even though I made new ones). Really annoying.

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 03:06 

I also run the same, with a profile for 3-screen Eyefinity, and also a few different scenarios for Extended Desktop. I just wish that ATI would setup Eyefinity mode for all use, and then just fake the extended desktops, with the ability to force power down of one or more screens. It seems like there would be a way to fake the extended without actually having to change resolutions, yet get all of the behaviour of extended.

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 03:15 

I am also new to the widescreen gaming boys!! I asked this question a couple days ago. I never did get a reply, but I keep screwing around and figured it out.

What I do to get out of widescreen gaming mode is open the Catalyst Control Center.

1. Click on Graphics tab.
2. Click on drop down tab and choose Desktop and Displays.
3. You will now see three boxes that show the three monitors. Click on the third box's triangle drop down tab.
4. Click on Diplay group and choose disable. You should get a Display Group Warning pop up. Stating: Are you sure you want to execute this action? Choose Yes.

All three monitors should now be cloned. Turn off the monitors you don't want to use for your tasks.

cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 09:13 

I am also new to the widescreen gaming boys!! I asked this question a couple days ago. I never did get a reply, but I keep screwing around and figured it out.

What I do to get out of widescreen gaming mode is open the Catalyst Control Center.

1. Click on Graphics tab.
2. Click on drop down tab and choose Desktop and Displays.
3. You will now see three boxes that show the three monitors. Click on the third box's triangle drop down tab.
4. Click on Diplay group and choose disable. You should get a Display Group Warning pop up. Stating: Are you sure you want to execute this action? Choose Yes.

All three monitors should now be cloned. Turn off the monitors you don't want to use for your tasks.

cheers

thats not really a great solution though as it can cause display port funnies and your not able to use your other two screens for productivity.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2010, 09:30 
Insiders
Insiders

Set up your screens, save the profile. Repeat. Looks a few posts above this one and you'll see how many i have, and they all work fine.

If your profiles doesn't load and arrange the screens properly, jsut re-load that same profile once more. It's much faster the second time and always does the arrangement correctly. The drivers have been doing that to me since 10.1

I've tried saving profiles for when i get new versions, but they don't work.. so i have to re-do them. But having done it so often, i', getting pretty proficient at it.