Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 21:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 14:08 

Hello, I'm going crazy.

On my previous computer I used TH2Go, but now I wanted to try Eyefinity and recently bought a computer with ATI 5870.

Unfortunately I cannot group my monitors. I have read the instructions and watched the video from Sapphire. I have tried the following without success:
- Two monitors from DVI.
- Three monitors; two from DVI and one from active displayport adapter.
- Catalyst 9.12 (it worked for someone with a similar problem)
- Catalyst 10.2

Every time the process fails at the step where the picture should be spanned over multiple monitors. After step 2 in this instruction (http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/Setup_Guides.pdf) the picture never spans and still remains a duplicate on all monitors. All that happens is that the picture pops to the wrong resolution on all monitors, from 1680x1050 to 1600x1200.

If I try to arrange, the blue marking is part of every monitor screen instead of one monitor at a time. If I leace CCC and try to adjust the resolution to anything higher than 1680x1050 explorer crashes each time. The option 5040x1050 is visible, but when I choose it explorer crashes.

It works well using extended desktop on all three monitors, but not to group (and play).

My three monitors are all the same, Philips 2200 with resolution 1680x1050 and DVI. The active adapter is bought from Dell and is called BizLink. However, the problem is the same without the adapter. I cannot group the two DVI monitors either. New computer with Windows 7, 64 bit.

Do you need pictures or any other information, just ask and I will try to provide it. Please, please, please help! : )

Edit: I installed TH2Go just to realize it didn't work in proper resolution on ATI cards. Therefor I uninstalled TH2Go. Can this be the issue? Old garbage? How can I clean the computer properly?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2010, 14:37 

I searched the registry for "matrox" and found this:

http://tinyurl.com/yelqdlb

Should I delete folder 001? The other folders talk about PnP screens...

Edit: It did not help to remove folder 001.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 01:26 

Clean out all your ATI software, first uninstall then go into safe mode and get rid of everything ATI.
Run a driver sweeper also while in safe mode.
Reinstall your Catalyst package.

I don't understand why you have a problem? Follow the instructions on subpage 2 in the link you provided and you should be golden.
Desktops and displays
Upper portion of page....one big display, lower three little displays
click on the black triangle
select display array
accept
wizard should start to enable eyefinity

I think it's a software issue, and I'd try just reinstalling the 10.2 or tomorrow, March 17th the 10.3a drivers.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 02:17 

what are you useing on the DP connection from GPU?

DP monitor, Passive dvi to dp or Active adpater?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 11:15 

Thank you for taking time to help!
:)

@magoo25:
I have reinstalled the entire ATI software including graphics driver several times and tried both 9.12 and 10.2. However I have NOT used any driver sweep.

Which driver sweep (and registry cleaner?) is safe to use? Is it straight forward how to use it?

@Phoenixdancer:
The problem is exactly the same using only the two monitors with DVI connection. (When the two DVI-monitors are working I start worrying about the displayport monitor. It is an active adapter and I really hope that will work : )

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 13:00 

I uninstalled alla ATI software (again) and went into safe mode.
I used ccleaner to clean the registry from leftover Matrox or ATI files.
I used driversweeper to clean any leftover driver files.
I installed ATI Catalyst 10.2.

Everything basicly looks the same, it does not work to create a group according to the instructions.

However, something new! I managed to create a GROUP with very low resolution, 1600x600 for 2 screens (which is lower than my native resolution for one screen).
:shock:
http://tinyurl.com/y95c7pg (link to image)

Unfortunately, if I try any other higher group resolution including the native 3360x1050 for two screens the monitors revert into non-native 1600x1200 and duplicate mode.
:cry:
http://tinyurl.com/ye35lwv (link to image)

This new information must help someone to figure out what is wrong I hope?
:?:

(I am waiting for a mail answer from ATI support. They have closed the telephone number to their support in Sweden.)

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 17:01 

The active adapter being powered by your onboard usb might not have enough power for the active adapter. Alot of ppl have been having problems with this and have went out and bought a usb powered plug in adapter to power up the active adapter. Can I ask what active adapter did you buy ?

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2010, 20:04 

@elmy:
I cannot group 2 screens, both DVI to DVI, with the correct resolution. The problem (right now) is not the displayport.

I will soon go back to my laptop with TH2Go instead...and throw the new computer and the 5870 in the trash.
:(

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2010, 16:23 

Here are som people with the similar problem it seems?
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17290

Some could not get it to work, some switched cables, some swopped graphic card slot?

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 12:34 

Heureka! Eyefinity works!
:D

As suggested in the thread above I physically moved the graphic card to another slot in the mother board (PCIEx4) and then installed the catalyst package.

Hopefully it still works when I change it back to the proper PCIEx16 slot again? Hold your thumbs, as we say in Sweden (cross your fingers)!
:roll:

I just found one minor thing with profile handling, but that can be due to the 10.3 preview driver? When I switch from group profile to extended desktop profile, the third monitor gets misplaced one level below the other two. (I have tried several times to make a new profile.) But that is a minor thing compared to not being able to group monitors...

Edit: Yes! Yes! Yes! :D
Eyefinity still works after returning the graphic card to the original slot with PCIEx16. The computer needed a bit of physical help.
Big thanks to wardtuk in the thread mentioned above! I would probably not have tried this method otherwise.
:bowdown