Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 08:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 14:00 

This adapter allows you to connect a third display to your eyefinity graphics card without requiring you to buy an expensive active displayport adapter cable (>$100).

One source for this particular adapter is here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330379051140

For reference I scanned the back of the packaging and the manual so you're able to buy a different model with the same specs:

The picture quality initially is noticably lower than that of the simultaniously DVI connected displays, but that's not a matter of signal quality but simply the age old problem of fine tuning the analog signal to a digital display.
You don't usually notice it in games, but when displaying text it seems slightly blurry - unless you spend 2 minutes fine tuning it manually.

After fine tuning the picture is reasonably sharp. Still, I recommend using the adapter display as a side panel.

It's definetly worth it, though.

PS: Don't hesitate to post better, certified adapters or other retailers. :)

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 22:03 

Alright fellas,

Now what we need is some experienced feedback. I bought my 5770 three weeks ago and have been waiting for the second installment in the Tom's Hardware article on Eyefinity before buying an adapter. I'd hoped for something definitive from them on the issue before spending $$$ on on an adapter that might or might not work.

The $100 thingy is out of the question.

After kicking around on a dozen sites and reading tales of success and woe, it seems this type of adapter occasionally works - but how often? And what exactly are the qualifiers:

* VGA screen for one of the three. Somewhat blurry picture on that one, so set as side monitor when possible.
* Resolution limited to 1900 x 1200 or lower, right?
* Anything else?

Bottom line - what are the odds such an adapter will work as described by the poster in a comparable arrangement? How many people here have tried to duplicate this setup (3 1900 x 1200 or lower res screens, two DVI and one passive VGA adapter) with success? With failure?

I'm about to pull the trigger on such an adapter and am curious about my chances of success.

I know these type threads are spaced all over the place, perhaps even in differing forums on this board. eBay is awash in several less-than-$25 types of passive VGA adapter that all look about the same. If this thing works most of the time, it's a step forward.

Thanks all for replying on this topic for the umpteenth time. I just can't keep all the varied forums straight.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2010, 23:27 

Well the picture quality difference the OP was referring to was the difference between VGA and DVI, analog vs digital not really related to eyefinity. Whether it will will annoy you personally is a matter of opinion.

Most monitors have a VGA and DVI connection on so you should try them and see what you think and if you notice a strong difference. The difference in crispness is more noticeable on higher quality displays or at higher resolutions.

Generally people have had good results with the adapter described by the OP and similar devices as described in the longer thread regarding them. There seems to be just as many problems with the active DVI adapters in regards to compatibility and flickering with certain monitors.

It all comes down to cost though. If you want the most trouble free setup buy a displayport monitor. If you require digital image quality on your existing monitors then you have no choice but to get an active DVI adapter but you are not guaranteed to not have issues even if you get a ATI certified adapter because of card BIOS problems or monitor compatibility problems between adapters and certain monitors. The VGA adapter works but also might have compatibility problems and you have an analog signal but its the cheapest method.

There is no magic combination that will work for everyone in digital for only $20 otherwise we would all be using it :).