Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 16 Jul 2024, 19:23

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 15:50 

Well, as everyone knows, I've been complaining about how 5760x1200 is too stressful for the 5870 on most modern games (and I still believe that).

But, one of my most stressful (and favorite) games - Arma 2 - ironically runs quite well at this extreme resolution. I knew it was heavily CPU-bound, but this is ridiculous! Basically, I'm getting about 33fps (which is good in Arma 2, trust me) at 5760x1200 and everything set at Normal, except AA - which is Off, and Postprocessing - which is High (the resulting motion blur makes up for the loss of AA to a great extent).

This is quite a nice surprise, as the triplehead res makes for a really immersive experience. If I could get NFS: Shift playable, I might even be happy enough to keep these 24" monitors.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 03:37 

I have ARMA II. I bought it just prior to me Installing Win 7. So I didn't get very much time to try it out before I did a clean Install and put the re- installation on hold.
With all the problems I've been having with Eyefinity / Drivers. I've been reluctant on Installing it again. can you post any screen shots?? post any Issues with the game. If any?

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 08:34 

Well, it might be best to just install and try it. I can tell you that it worked surprisingly well on my system even at 5760x1200 - probably because it's so CPU dependent.

I'm now running at 5040x1050, and am anxious to try it again - if I can stop playing NFS Shift long enough!

ARMA II is a great simulator. If COD MW2 is checkers, then ARMA II is definitely more like chess: harder, more frustrating to learn, but ultimately so much deeper and more rewarding to master. It's COD for grown-ups.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 08:58 

I suppose I will.

One of the reasons I didn't play it much was because of the learning curve, Heck I think it took me about a half hour just to figure out how to load my weapon. but I'm up to the challenge.

I cant get off dirt 2 at the moment though .

I was kind of wondering how the aspect ratio works out on the eyefinity? does it look good

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2009, 09:25 

Yes, the FOV/aspect ratio is done very well. In fact, that's a real stand-out vs. other games.

I hear you about the learning curve. Definitely play on "Recruit" for a long time! But, no other game provides the same sense of really being there. It has a wonderful, open-ended sandbox feel to it. No endless spawning enemies, no invisible walls, no canned events 'tripped' by crossing some arbitrary invisible checkpoint.

It just feels so much more real-life than the arcade-ish COD series.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 19:21 

Can't believe that I had never heard of this game prior to reading this. Took me a long time to figure out if this was a strat game or shooter, or both.

Now all I know is that I want it. :)

Fry's Electronics really loves me this month. :|

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 08:23 

Can't believe that I had never heard of this game prior to reading this. Took me a long time to figure out if this was a strat game or shooter, or both.

Now all I know is that I want it. :)

Fry's Electronics really loves me this month. :|

It's a fantastic game - as long as you have a monster rig. This is one that's a little ahead of it's time - like Crysis or Lock On: Modern Air Combat.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 09:09 
Editors
Editors

It's a fantastic game - as long as you have a monster rig. This is one that's a little ahead of it's time - like Crysis or Lock On: Modern Air Combat.

x2

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 07:26 

But, one of my most stressful (and favorite) games - Arma 2 - ironically runs quite well at this extreme resolution. I knew it was heavily CPU-bound, but this is ridiculous! Basically, I'm getting about 33fps (which is good in Arma 2, trust me) at 5760x1200 and everything set at Normal, except AA - which is Off, and Postprocessing - which is High (the resulting motion blur makes up for the loss of AA to a great extent).

Well, I tried it out a little tonight. It's playable, but there is quite a bit of blurriness for me . I think I'll try the settings you have mentioned and see what kind of FPS I get.

I assume your using FRAPs to see your average fps. I'll need to install that as well. and of course I'm not overclocked on the possessor like you. but I will give it another try tomorrow. and report back.

Any advice on settings would be welcomed.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 07:06 

[quote]

Well, I tried it out a little tonight. It's playable, but there is quite a bit of blurriness for me . I think I'll try the settings you have mentioned and see what kind of FPS I get.

I assume your using FRAPs to see your average fps. I'll need to install that as well. and of course I'm not overclocked on the possessor like you. but I will give it another try tomorrow. and report back.

Any advice on settings would be welcomed.
It's totally CPU-bound with the 5800. You *must* overclock as high as you can if you want good performance. I would shoot for 4Ghz minimum - which your 940 is easily capable of.