Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Oct 2024, 03:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:04 

So I finally got my monitors and now I'm rocking my very own Eyefinity setup, and it's a thing of beauty. I love the expansiveness of the screens, 3 is so much more than 2, even when just getting my work done. I have run into some issues that I wanted to ask about before I spend forever trying to fix them myself.

-I occasionally get an extra large mouse pointer on certain monitors. It looks like the pointer has been turned to extra large (I checked, it hadn't been), and when I move the mouse from one monitor to another it goes to normal. It's happened a few times and it's not always the same monitor, and sometimes it's more than one (giant pointer on two screens, normal on one). I couldn't fix it or repeat the issue, but it keeps cropping up, and I have yet to see a pattern. Anyone heard of this?

-When I switch my profiles (one SLS profile for gaming and one for separate monitors for working), it doesn't seem to keep my settings. When I switch to the SLS profile I have to re-create the display group, and when I switch to my other profile I need to re-order my monitors. Is this expected? I do select save all catalyst settings when I save and activate the profiles.

-Occasionally in games I'll set the resolution to 5760x1080 and my displayport monitor will go into power save mode or complain about the resolution. It's set to 1920x1080 @60 hz, and the message on the monitor says to please set it at that same setting. The monitors all have a displayport connector on them, so it's not an adapter issue. This happened repeatedly in Crysis.

Other than those little hickups, it's been working pretty well, the bigger problem is that I can't seem to find a game that works perfectly. Are there any games that you all can recommend that are the least hassle to setup? I've been using this forum for fixes on games, but the solutions don't always seem to work that well. So far I've tried:
-Crysis (had the monitor going to sleep issue)
-Bioshock 1.1 (tried dopefish's program, but it never seemed to fix the FOV, I couldn't get it to activate)
-Borderlands (lots of issues, all talked about in the thread here)
-L4D (FOV issues)
-TF4 (FOV issues)
-Battlefield 2 (FOV issues, dopefish's program helped a bit. Took it from unplayable to partially fisheyed)

I really didn't spend long with any particular game, so if any of these are known to work with the right tinkering, I'll put in some more effort.

I realize that not every game is going to work right, but it would be nice if I could get at least a couple games to work well and not fisheye like mad.

Thanks for any help or advice

PS, I'm running Win7 64 Ultimate, Core i5, 4GB RAM, 5850, and the newest drivers for everything, as of 12/1. Also, I'm fully aware how much of a mess the wires are right now, thats a project for this weekend.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 19:58 

-I occasionally get an extra large mouse pointer on certain monitors. It looks like the pointer has been turned to extra large (I checked, it hadn't been), and when I move the mouse from one monitor to another it goes to normal. It's happened a few times and it's not always the same monitor, and sometimes it's more than one (giant pointer on two screens, normal on one). I couldn't fix it or repeat the issue, but it keeps cropping up, and I have yet to see a pattern. Anyone heard of this?

This is a known software issue and we are looking to try and address it ASAP. Keep updating those Catalysts! :)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 00:29 

[quote]

This is a known software issue and we are looking to try and address it ASAP. Keep updating those Catalysts! :)

Sweet, I was sure this was one problem that was going to be unique and make me sound crazy. It'll be easy enough to live with.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:51 

Nice setup TwinIon :)

I've only had my setup for about 2 weeks so I'm trying to get used to it myself :P L4D has been fine for me as have some other games apart from minor HUD issues. Eyefinity does add a fish-lens effect as your 2 side monitors are suppose to act as peripheral vision rather than crystal clean imagery, so maybe that is something you are experiencing?

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 00:24 

After playing around some more, to answer my own questions, the two best working games I've found are Dirt 2 (obvious once I remembered) and Torchlight.

Nice setup TwinIon :)

I've only had my setup for about 2 weeks so I'm trying to get used to it myself :P L4D has been fine for me as have some other games apart from minor HUD issues. Eyefinity does add a fish-lens effect as your 2 side monitors are suppose to act as peripheral vision rather than crystal clean imagery, so maybe that is something you are experiencing?

Yeah, maybe I'll post some picks and make sure it's supposed to act that way. L4D, TF2, Bioshock, COD4 (last 2 with dopefish's fixer), all had that fisheye look to it. I suppose I was not expecting it to look like that. After playing with it a little more last night, I didn't mind it too much actually. Still, I was hoping that the fixer thing would make games look more like Dirt where everything is perfect. Still it's way more immersive even with the distortion. I hope that the existence of Eyefinity pushes more devs to consider multimonitor gaming. Right now I'm keeping my fingers crossed for native support in Frostbite engine games (next gen Battlefield).