Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Sep 2024, 18:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 12:41 

==Definitions==

TH = TripleHead that is using 3 screens either through Eyefinity or other devices like Matrox TH2GO or even SoftTH (Software solution)
Surround gaming = any combination of screens higher than 1 to game.
Eyefinity = Surround gaming
Resolutions = triple 1680x1050 gives 5040x1050, triple 1920x1200 gives 5760x1200 (given that all screens are in landscape mode)

==Explanations==

For a game to work in Eyefinity, you need it to support the resolution and the aspect ratio of your particular setup.
for example 3 screens of 1680x1050 resolution have an aspect ratio of 3x (16/10) so 48/10 in this case. Absolutely no other messing around is needed and once a game works for a particular aspect ratio, it doesn't matter whether it's Eyefinity, TH2GO, SoftTH or any other...
Some games have native support for any resolution however a bunch don't...
Most of the time, to make a game compatible one need to change the FOV (Field of View)
some games might also include an aspect ratio setting.
For more detailed explanations on those notions, one might want to :searchplease

==Lists of games==

-First check out the widescreen game list : http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Essential_Games_List

-In this list, sometimes TH information is readily available either in :
the "surround support" column or through the "detailed report" in the first post or a little farther
In this battlefield 2 example there's neither of the two aforementioned items. It could mean two things: it wasn't updated yet or there's no available solution

-Let's not give up & check out another possible source of information. By clicking directly on the game name, you should go to the wiki.

-and here ends our battlefield 2 example : the wiki explains probably why in the earlier widescreen game listing, there was nothing in the surround support column:
check out the widescreen support section (in green) which explains how to setup a custom resolution (here 1920x1200 but replace with 5040 and 1050 in this order for a triple 1680x1050 setup for example)

and also check out the more interesting Surround Gaming Support section (in red) and that the surround fix (which corrects the aspect ratio of the weapon and maybe more) is incompatible with punkbuster ...

-The wiki is also available through the "WIKI Search" box on the menu on the left.

-You may also check the Racer_S Hacks & Mods here:

-There's also a specific application which gets frequent updates (nothing guaranteed though) and has its own thread in the forum : it's the "Multi-Game Widescreen Fixer" by "Dopefish" available here
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7971

-If you didn't find anything, you may also search the WSGF forum itself

-baring that feel free to post and ask away ;)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 12:47 

hello there,
I'm trying to do a sort of guide for newcomers that come to the Eyefinity subforum in search for help.
Not that I think it will be read a lot but at least you'll be able to point people to it should the need arise.
I would also like to get this stickied if the WSGF team thinks it's a good idea.
(if it's not, it's fine by me)
Any tips or suggestion to improve this post is welcome.

TODO LIST
-I want to add guide screenshots in the near future.(should be not too big but still readable.)

thanks.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2009, 13:13 
Administrators
Administrators

Do you want games added to your list?

GRID in TH: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11354

GTA4 in TH: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/

X-Plane 9 in TH: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172765#172765

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 23:25 

BF2... would be nice

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2009, 06:07 

updated the first post with additional information & images & took the battlefield 2 example :P

@AussieTimmeh
I don't intend on keeping an updated list of EF compatible games
there is already a lot of available material that fulfil this role on this website
I don't think it would be particularly useful, however I don't mind a few links if people want to post them in this thread.

edit: I tried formatting the text by keeping close to the format used for detailed reports. if you have another idea that improves readability then please share it with me :)

if you feel like some information is missing, it will be considered seriously and may be added. Thanks.