Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 06:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 09:50 

I have a VGA>DP adapter from here http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20776

After some initial issues on getting Win7 to get the monitor on the DP to run in it's native 1920x1080 resolution I have it going no problems.

I don't suffer from any of the black screen flicker that some have. But, switching between Eyefinity and Extended is a nightmare with the monitor on the DP port. It will always loose the DP connection and it takes several unplugs/replugs/Catalyst restarts to get it back. Then I need to reconfigure the monitors as they are always in the wrong order. The profiles don't seem to work, as selecting one of them doesn't bring back the settings. Although, loosing the DP link may have something to do with this?

I haven't done a heap of testing yet, but it appears booting up is an issue as well. I've done 3-4 restarts and everytime I've had to unplug/plug the DP monitor several times to get it to display. Does anyone have their POST screen display on the DP>VGA monitor as their computer boots up?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2010, 23:00 

re-reading the posts in this thread, I made the monitor connected to the DP port the default monitor and that seems to have gotten rid of the DP link failures. Except from boot up/restart, where the DP Link doesn't work until I unplug>replug the DP.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2010, 03:20 

I spoke too soon re the DP link Failures :(

At first I was thinking that this a totally hardware related issue. Then today my DP>VGA monitor fired up on boot and showed the POST screen. Interestingly, one of the Other DVI connected monitors didn't come on while this happened. Once the Win7 logon screen came up the DP>VGA monitor went off the DVI one came on and I had to do the plug toggle to get all three on.

Playing with the CCC profiles is still problematic, with the changes doing random things when switching between Extended and Eyefinity. Most times switching between the two causes the DP Link failure - not always. I even had the monitor recover from a DP Link failure once today but using the profile hotkeys without needing the plug toggle. I couldn't replicate this tho.

The profile switch in CCC sometimes seems to die. When this happens, using the hotkeys or selecting the profile from the menu does nothing. The CCC app seems to blink but does not switch to the profile. CCC still seems to working ok as I can do do other stuff within the app, it just will not switch the profile. Restarting the runtime is the only solution I have found to fix it.

So, it does seem that the DP Link Failure could possibly fixed in the driver which should negate the need to fumble around at the back of the PC. Those DP plugs are not the easiest of things to unplug and plug.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 22:07 

Does anyone have their POST screen display on the DP>VGA monitor as their computer boots up?

Yes, the displayport screen and 1 DVI monitor show post text, and when it gets into windows the other DVI port becomes active.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 22:27 

I use this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270279&cm_re=dp_vga-_-12-270-279-_-Product

It's an updated version to ones we first saw. And cost about the same. I haven't had any issues with it since plugging it in for the first time. The only issue is a link failure if you let your monitors sleep. But I just turn my monitors off when I leave the room and set the power setting to never sleep.

Interestingly though I made contact with bizlink's engineers and they seem interested in troublshooting that device and why it constantly flickers. If I make progress with that I'll post it here.

But allasudden my main DVI output won't send a signal any more to my center monitor. But it will if I use a DVI-VGA adaptor like supplied with the card. So that sucks. I think the card may have to be RMA'd

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2010, 23:40 

This morning on boot up, all three monitors showed the post screen and windows login. I had the PC in Eyefinity mode when I shut down last night. When I got into windows the monitors were all duplicates and not Eyefinity. CCC was showing that I was in Eyefinity so it wouldn't fix it. I had to change back to Extended desktop, then back to Eyefinity before it worked (with the normal DP link failure happening in the process)

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 05:36 

I can confirm the dp>vga works for me 100%

i have it set up at 5760x1200 on 3xdell 24inches

left monitor = DVI
middle = dvi>vga yes u read correct
right = (primary monitor) DP > vga

I have it working flawlessly without any flickers or whateva, windows keeps all settings after reset.

Been playing left4dead2 at 5760x1200 4aa 16af very high I get about 35-40fps average on my 2.4ghz q6600 with 2 gb ram lol!

very please with this $18 buck adapter :P

Took me about 6 hours to figure everything out though. You really need to play around with it.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2010, 05:40 

But allasudden my main DVI output won't send a signal any more to my center monitor. But it will if I use a DVI-VGA adaptor like supplied with the card. So that sucks. I think the card may have to be RMA'd

wow i have the same issue, but mine is the 2nd dvi connection lol!

So I'm using dvi to vga atm which works 100% so I ain't complaining lol!

VGA vs DVI = no difference in PQ for me

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2010, 20:26 

Hi guys first post.
I have an acer 27IN 2048X1152 ,i have an older 24IN Dell 1920X1200.
I purchased a xfx 5870 ,a cheap hp 1900X1200 lcd (to match my Dell)
and I then realized i needed an adapter so i bought a passive dp to dvi adapter.

1)my first concern are my different monitors.I was hoping i could put all three at 1920X1080 res.will this work?
2)my second worry is my passive dp to dvi.Everyone says dp to vga is the one to get.I was wondering if i could stick one of my dvi to vga adapters that I have laying around on top of the dp to dvi adapter and effectively be the same as a dp to vga?

I already ordered to 5870 card,extra monitor and that bloody dp to dvi adapter so some advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys, good forum by the way :)

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 08:00 

This one from monoprice is supposed to work --

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=5135&seq=1&format=4#feedback

Right now on monoprice's facebook they are asking for people to recommend items to put as a daily deal.

So if you're looking to get one and you have facebook, go reply! The Product ID is 5135. I tried last week, but I was late to requesting. Hopefully we can get enough votes for this coming week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 31  Next